Topic: Octamic II question Total Mix FX

Hi,

Just wanted to ask, the Octamic II has on the front, a section where it has +4, -10, Hi Gain switches. I understand that switching this applies to all 8 channels of the Line Level Outputs.

My question is: can this be set individually via Totalmix FX? Can I use Totalmix to affect say Phantom Power, Phase etc? In short, never touching the buttons?

I am considering either this or an Audient ASP880. Both are look great. Just trying to understand that section of the Octamic II.

Thanks.
Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

2 (edited by ramses 2022-01-02 11:05:35)

Re: Octamic II question Total Mix FX

lmorendain wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to ask, the Octamic II has on the front, a section where it has +4, -10, Hi Gain switches. I understand that switching this applies to all 8 channels of the Line Level Outputs.

My question is: can this be set individually via Totalmix FX? Can I use Totalmix to affect say Phantom Power, Phase etc? In short, never touching the buttons?

I am considering either this or an Audient ASP880. Both are look great. Just trying to understand that section of the Octamic II.

Thanks.
Loren

No, this preamp has no remote control feature.

Remote control through TM FX is only possible for the Octamic XTC by using the Auxdevice feature, see manual.
For the 12Mic Auxdevice via MADI is promised but not yet done.

Auxdevice feature: remote control through TM FX is possible through dedicated MIDI cabling which has length restrictions and needs additional MIDI cables. This is being used in smaller setups without MADI cabling, where the Octamic XTC is being connected through ADAT.

More elegant is a MADI based setup and to use "MIDI over MADI feature" where MIDI is transported together with audio through the MADI cable which can be up to 2km (multimode, OM3/OM4) and - on special order with single mode - even up to 10km between each of the devices.
The newer devices with AVB support, like the 12Mic, use SFPs which are pluggable transceiver, giving you the possibility to use either (hot swappable) multimode or singlemode SFPs as you need.

Remote control with TM FX (by Auxdevice feature) allows you to
- remote control the most important channel settings of a preamp,
- save and restore these settings in TotalMix FX snapshots and workspaces like for the recording interface itself.

An alternative possibility for remote control of **all** parameters of a preamp is to use MIDI remote.
But then you can not save / restore the settings with TM FX, because both remote control features may not run at the same time on the same MADI bus.

The new AVB ready devices like the 12Mic can also be remote controlled over network
- web based with your internet browser (device has GBit connections, copper)
- by using a new Beta software MIDI remote for 12Mic/AVB Tool, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33276

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by lmorendain 2022-01-02 12:24:46)

Hi,

Bummer. Appreciate the info. Can I at least use the EQ of the Totalmix and record with it?

Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

4 (edited by ramses 2022-01-02 12:53:37)

Loren,

your BBF Pro FS has an option [x] EQ for record, see driver settings / manual.

Please note: it is always better to record the original unmodified signals and to perform the rest later in the DAW.
For monitoring through headphones / monitors you can use FX
and still you can record the signal unmodified with the DAW, if you keep "EQ for record" turned off (the default setting).

P.S.: Please be so kind and write in your forum signature, which RME devices (preferably also directly computer / operating system) you use, so that one does not have to ask or search in old threads, makes support easier and saves you a little redundant typing. Many thanks wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

I agree that it is best not record with EQ but I do like using the 80hz low shelf. It’s the only thing I print. The rest I leave as is. (For guitar or instruments that won’t need all the lows below 80hz).

Thanks for the advice! I looked around the menu how to do the signature. Couldn’t find it but will keep looking.

Loren

You need to check your user profile: Profile -> Signature

> I agree that it is best not record with EQ but I do like using the 80hz low shelf.

This can all be done in the DAW later for "safety reasons".
For any form of monitoring you can use it immediately.

Hi Ramses!

What you said on the 80hz makes sense, will keep it on when recording and not print. All about how the track plays well with other tracks in the end. I see the logic. Will try it out. Thanks!

Also, found the signatures! Didn’t know about it until you mentioned it and it was hard to find on the iPhone. Found it were you said it would be on my iPad ☺️

Loren