Topic: Does SteadyClock do anything if RME interface is slave?

I've been using JK Audio's BlueDriver-M3 for about a year now, which not only allows me to route my phone's audio over Bluetooth into my Fireface UFX+, but also allows me to route a mic signal back to the BlueDriver-M3. This is advantageous as when I receive a call, I don't have to pull my CIEMs out and hold the phone between my ear and my shoulder for long periods of time. I just take the call over Bluetooth and use my CIEMs to monitor and my studio mic to speak. The problem is that the BlueDriver-M3 only has a mono output, so it's not ideal for listening to music, and I experience some noise from the device when my phone is not connected.

But then just last week I discovered the Audinate ADP-BT-AU2X1, which does the same thing but completely digitally, and with a stereo output. All I needed was the aforementioned Audinate ADP-BT-AU2X1, a POE ethernet switch, and the Audinate ADP-BT-AU2X1 to convert the signal to AES, which I can connect to my Fireface UFX+.

After receiving everything I needed, I connected both to a POE switch, and then connected the AES adapter to my Fireface UFX+. The problem, however, is that the Audinate ADP-AES3-AU-2X2 cannot use an external clock. Before this I had my MADI FX as the master clock, which my Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, and ADI-192 DD are all connected to. But now I have two options:
1) Set the Audinate ADP-AES3-AU-2X2 as the master, and slave the MADI FX to the Fireface UFX+ (which is directly connected to the Audinate ADP-AES3-AU-2X2).
2) Connect the Audinate ADP-AES3-AU-2X2 to my ADI-192 DD instead where it can be resampled and introduced into the system, allowing me to retain the MADI FX as the master clock.

Though I do not know what the best option is, I would think that having one of the RME interfaces as master would be advantageous. But maybe that's just an invalid assumption? This gut feeling leads me to believe routing it through my ADI-192 DD would be preferable, but I'd rather not eat up the last connection on it in an attempt to retain some headroom for future needs. The Audinate ADP-AES3-AU-2X2 is locked at 48KHz, but this is what I had my system clocked at anyways.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Re: Does SteadyClock do anything if RME interface is slave?

Steadyclock is designed for being slave.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

As long as you don't change sample rates all the time (convenience in terms of reconfiguration), any RME inferface works perfectly as clock slave thanks to SteadyClock.

This thread's title makes no sense as SteadyClock only exists to do exactly that - provide internal clock performance in slave mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Awesome, I guess I just didn't understand the technology.

Thanks for the help!

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

MC wrote:

This thread's title makes no sense as SteadyClock only exists to do exactly that - provide internal clock performance in slave mode.

Well, I didn't know that either. We can't all be as smart as the founder of RME big_smile