1 (edited by lmorendain 2022-01-01 07:16:43)

Topic: Do I need external Mic Preamp for Babyface Pro FS

Hi all,

I am using a Babyface Pro FS. Love it!

Someone said, I should get a Mic Preamp like a Heritage or Warm Audio then use it with the Babyface.

My question is: we have Total Mix and can commit with the EQ to recording. Would that not be the same thing as getting a separate Mic Preamp? Any advantage to using a Heritage Preamp?

Thanks!
Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

Re: Do I need external Mic Preamp for Babyface Pro FS

I think one if the points  in getting an RME interface is the quality of the preamps. I really don’t see the need to then get another one when the ones on the bfp fs are really good quality. What are you trying to achieve?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi Mkok!

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate your input. Yes. I feel the same way. Happy with the RME, just that a friend said to get a mic preamp, that it would improve whatever I am using big time. I thought, why? Is it not the same effect as having a Total Mix EQ?

Just made me wonder if there was some other benefit to getting something like a Heritage mic preamp?

I am sure there is. I was told it would they would add color and personality. Was just curious. I most probably won’t go that route as am good with the Babyface preamps.

Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

Happy New Year Loren, I’m delighted to read you are enjoying your RME recording interface.

I’m also pleased to read that you are asking questions, rather than simply accepting and acting upon what someone said.

All the greatest professional recording equipment designers seek one thing above all else. Transparency! That what you hear in the live room is captured and played back faithfully, without colouring the sound.

It is like the holy grail of great audio design.

The RME mic preamps are by design transparent.

What this means in practical terms is that they are versatile.

Whatever sound source you choose to record will be captured faithfully.

One of the problems with coloured mic preamps that no one ever talks about is that their colour (let’s think about that as a sonic bias) will appear to enhance some sound sources, but that same colour (or sonic bias) will dramatically weaken other sound sources less suited to that bias.

What such people as your well-meaning friend see as a strength in coloured mic amps, is actually in point of fact a great weakness, according to the greatest recording equipment designers in the history of recording.

The proof of this to be found all over the internet. For example, you will read:

“X mic preamp is great for Bass and Drums but no good for Piano or Vocal”.

“Y mic preamp is great for Acoustic Guitar and Male Vocal but no good for Female Vocal.”

“Z mic preamp is great for Piano and Female Vocal but no good for Bass, Drums or Percussion.”

So, if as you seem to be (you are questioning) you are extremely intelligent, you will realise that what many people see as the strength of coloured mic preamps, is in reality, nothing but a weakness, because their colouring effect places severe practical limitations upon their actual usefulness.

The advantage of a very good quality transparent mic preamp is that you can use them on any sound source you choose and they will faithfully reproduce whatever you are attempting to record. That means they are extremely versatile and practical and furthermore, excellent value for money.

Think how much you will need to spend on extra mic preamps if every separate sound source, really required, its own special colour enhancing mic amp?

The key thing to consider should be: “right now, is the particular artist or musician performing to a calibre and quality that makes them eminently recordable?”

Today, many people are aware that their musical performance and tonality is lacking quality, and so look for some sonic fairy dust as it were to compensate for their lack of devotion, practising, and not to put too fine a point on it, talent.

People are overwhelmingly focussed upon the idea that having the right gear alone can make them sound great. However, the truth is that a great player will sound great, even if you give them a cheap instrument to play. The sound really is all in their fingers or voice.

The best sound engineer I ever knew always recorded using NO E.Q. whatever. With a £1,000,000, recording console in front of him and every piece of coloured outboard gear imaginable at his disposal, none of its additional features were used. He simply picked the best mic for the sound source and placed it carefully, listening in headphones until he found the sonic sweet spot.

Occasionally, changing a mic might sometime be the best course of action, but much more often, moving a mics position or angling it slightly, or both can achieve far better results than all the coloured outboard gear in the world. Is the truth that people who sell such gear for a living don't want you to realise.

Even the distance of a voice from a mic or whether the mics on or off axis to the source can deliver that sweet sonic signature voice that makes all the difference. By the way, the person I mentioned above had more Grammy’s on his shelf than anyone else in the entire history of recording.

So, I would encourage you to spend time seeing how sound changes as you move the mic, on axis, off axis, listening with some good headphones.

Loren, save up your money and invest it in buying the very best mics you can afford.

Use the internet to go on the websites of great recording studios and make a list of what mics they have. You will find certain mics come up again and again and again. It’s surprising how often and not all of them are expensive.

These are the best mics, most likely to be useful to you in the long term. They will certainly give you the best sound, usually with the least amount of internal self-noise and prove to be lasting investment, facilitating and enabling great recordings to be made.

Later on, you might find that additional extra resources will be required as your abilities develop and that some of the large RME interfaces seem to attractively offer you greater flexibilities and opportunities for further needed expansion. RME offer outstanding sound quality at remarkably affordable prices and come with unparalleled, industry leading customer support. So thus far, you have chosen well.

When I put my mics up into position and plug them into the RME gear the scintillating sound I am seeking after in the finished recording is already there before ever I push the record button.

Have a great sound source, use great mics and with your transparent RME gear you can make great recordings, I look forward to hearing.

The BFP press are very good. In most cases you wouldn't get any advantage from an addition pre. Depends on the microphone, the music and the room. I have TG-2 500 channel and it's nice to have epsc. for electrical guitars. But is it necessary? Not really, it's a cool toy.

What kind of music do you record and what mics do you have?

Other than that: CrispyChips is right - spend the money on mics, pre's have way less effect on the sound.

6 (edited by lmorendain 2022-01-02 06:58:41)

Hi all,

Thank you for your help!

I use an AKG C414xlii, Shure SM57, SM81 and an Beta 57A. Am still working on building my mic collection smile I mostly do rock music. I am a guitarist.

Copy on the external Mic Preamp. I agree and will take a pass on that. I like the transparency of the Babyface Pro and I guess any coloring needed can be done later via post EQ.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks.
Loren

Nice mic selection!

For rock guitar sounds I'd suggest an RE20 and a ribbon of course. The combination of of a 57 plus Royer 121 in front of the cabinet is classic by now. But other ribbons like the way cheaper Beyer M88 are worth a look too.

Thanks!

Am planning on getting a Royer 121 and the Beyerdynamics M160 smile I just found out that Andy Johns used the Beyer on those early Led Zeppelin and Hendrix albums. You hit the nail on the head with the ribbon mics.

9 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2022-01-02 19:10:31)

I would also choose a neutral, accurate representation of a sound source over a colored one. That means a neutral mic pre (like Babyface Pro) and mic.

But when it comes to Rock music, a bit of extra „juice“ is also an option, especially for guitars or bass.

Anyway, for acoustic guitars (I don’t know, if you use acoustic guitars) I have good experience with the following mic brands, some are also great for vocals:

Microtech Gefell (founded by the famous Georg Neumann, amazing mics for a reasonable price, you pay for quality not for the name)

D.P.A. (High quality mics, fantastic transient response, they can handle sound pressure levels up to 160dB - also an option for electric guitars, they offer a very versatile modular system, for live applications and studio).

Earthworks (great mics, comparable to D.P.A., great backnoise rejection - fantastic for singers in a louder Rock environment and in the studio, especially in untreated rooms).

Schoeps (very accurate and neutral, great transient response, modular systems).

One note: When it comes to preamp noise and condenser vs dynamic mics, here is an interesting YouTube clip:
https://youtu.be/frah8eBvUbU

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

Hi,

Great link on preamp / microphone noise floors! So far been using just my Babyface and the mics that I have and one thing I did notice? The silence! Very clean and quiet recordings. Your video was mind blowing!

Loren

lmorendain wrote:

Hi,

Great link on preamp / microphone noise floors! So far been using just my Babyface and the mics that I have and one thing I did notice? The silence! Very clean and quiet recordings. Your video was mind blowing!

Loren

Thanks, glad you liked it! There are a few myths out there and it’s nice to see them uncovered from time to time.
For me it was very revealing because I sometimes use three vintage Shure and AKG Dynamic Mics. In that case the preamp noise is important, but you‘re right. I can only speak in terms of my new UCX II, but they are „dead quiet“

Hi Topanga_Dreams,

Am envious! Just started my mic collection. smile I am a guitarist and am done with the amps, guitar and effects side. Now am getting into mics.

Loren

lmorendain wrote:

Hi Topanga_Dreams,

Am envious! Just started my mic collection. smile I am a guitarist and am done with the amps, guitar and effects side. Now am getting into mics.

Loren

I won’t consider myself to be a mic collector. „Vintage“ is a big word, but if you look for Shure Brothers 565 (Unisphere 1) mics, they go for around $ 200 +, depending on the condition. But they look great (silver color, I think Freddie Mercury used one of those) and sound very smooth. Same with AKG D125 (gold color finish). Nothing special about these mics, except they sound great and fit perfectly to my RME pre amps.