Topic: RME Fireface 800 audio failure

My RME Fireface 800 has worked without problems for more than 10 years. Today, when I have started my computer, no sound comes in or out the interface. It's recognized properly by the computer, but the TotalMix shows fixed led signals on all analog inputs (although nothing is connected to these inputs).

My setup is:
PC: Mainboard ASROCK X299 Creator, with IEEE 1394 Texas Instruments PCIe card
Driver version: 3.125 (latest)
Firmware version: 2.77 (latest)
I have no peripherals connected to the RME.

I've tried the following, with the same results:
- Reinstall drivers (not firmware, only drivers).
- Change the Firewire 800 cable
- Connect to other computer (a MacBook Pro I use for out of the studio recordings).  In both computers I get the same behaviour and the same "picture" in TotalMix.

What else can I try? Should I try to flash the firmware again?

Thanks in advance.

2 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-01-04 07:00:39)

Re: RME Fireface 800 audio failure

FF 800 had an issue of their internal power supply fail. I would suggest (but only if you are qualified if not go to someone who is) to open the unite and look for bulged caps in power supply section or anything that may be strange looking on the board and measure stuff with multimeter.

Thanks Thermaltake. I'll have a look. I switched off and on the unit and suddenly it started to work properly again. I've open a support ticket, so I'll wait for the answer from RME to check everything.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Bests.
Francisco

Just an FYI, I've had to replace the power supply in my FF800 twice. It's a pretty clear when it fails - you'll get some light flashes on the front pane, maybe some noise and then it won't work anymore. Fortunately, RME has a great support network and both times was able to get it fixed quickly and relatively cheaply.