1 (edited by Manuel 2022-01-03 19:50:57)

Topic: UCX and rack mounting? RM19-X vs RM19-II

I'm almost definitely going to buy a UCX II and my local dealer also sells the rack mounting kit but on their website they have the old RM19-X which is now discontinued. The RM19-II is the new model which replaces the RM19-X. The question is: will the RM19-X fit a UCX II or do I need to buy the newer RM19-II? (maybe it's a mistake on their website, I'll phone tomorrow to confirm).

How stiff are these brackets? On the product pics they look like they will flex quite a bit when cables are plugged/unplugged and buttons are pressed.

Slightly related, all the latest RME rack-mountable products, such as the UFX+, have rectangular racks screw holes. Are square holes better? I ask because the square holes look like the screws will fit more loosely. Do those holes require a special washer/sleeve to ensure proper fit?

Re: UCX and rack mounting? RM19-X vs RM19-II

Both are compatible with that unit, but the new RM19-II is *much* more sturdy.

The holes are not perfectly round to avoid problems with slight variances in the racks.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: UCX and rack mounting? RM19-X vs RM19-II

Jeff wrote:

Both are compatible with that unit, but the new RM19-II is *much* more sturdy.

The holes are not perfectly round to avoid problems with slight variances in the racks.

Thanks Jeff, I'll see if they are able to supply the new model then.

About the holes, what I meant the old RME gear holes were oval shaped (like a stretched circle, if that makes sense), and the new gear holes are rectangular. Both can accommodate slight variances in rack width. Usually the height is narrower than the width as usually rack holes are drilled at the correct pitch and some racks use sliding nuts.

https://i.vgy.me/Gp3eNO.png

I guess the question is: are the rectangular holes and the old oval holes the same height and width, just different shapes? And is the reason for the new shape purely aesthetic?