1 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 12:00:31)

Topic: Apple Music streaming problem, lightning USB3 camera kit at iOS device

Apple Music streaming with lightning USB3 camera adapter at iOS device problem, connected to Adi-2 DAC Fs USB input.

I do not know if someone encountered it before or after the latest iOS version launched.

Apple Music can work flawlessly for few days, but sometimes it will randomly stop playing (at the middle or end of any song of an album) or even the Music App crashed, tried many things to fix it, such as restore the phone, hard rebbot, remove the Music App and reinstall ... no luck.

It doesn't happen once on MacOS, not once with another cheap DAC connected to RME USB input, not once with iOS device streaming to smart speakers like KEF Egg Duo via camera kit...

That makes something came to my mind, could it be the Adi-2 DAC USB loopback caused the problem? (do not get me wrong, I am not blaming RME, but could be Apple iOS is the cause)

At the mean time, will try USB loopback off while using Apple Music streaming with lightning USB3 camera adapter to RME USB input, will report back the observation.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Re: Apple Music streaming problem, lightning USB3 camera kit at iOS device

I am using the exact setup and it is fine to not having any crash or stop but I disabled the loop back function maybe that’s the difference

You may also try check on the CCK connector and see if there is any dirt on the golden pin to cause bad connection, I encounter a few times before I start cleaning the connector. Also plug a lightning cable to power your iPhone which may help to improve the stability of the connection
(FYI I am using a 5M usb cable so my case is a extreme sample for your reference)

n00BRX wrote:

You may also try check on the CCK connector and see if there is any dirt on the golden pin to cause bad connection, I encounter a few times before I start cleaning the connector. Also plug a lightning cable to power your iPhone which may help to improve the stability of the connection
(FYI I am using a 5M usb cable so my case is a extreme sample for your reference)

Thank you for the information, USB contact always kept clean from time to time, and power is always connected with the original lightning cable between the CCK and Apple original charger.

As I mentioned before, also according to your setup, I will try to disable the loopback to observe it.

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-04 20:59:15)

I had the music stop or jump to the next track from time to time - not quite often.

After installing the latest (beta-) firmware it never happened again.

Config:
iPhone 6 Plus,
iOS 12.5.2,
Tidal 2.18.0 build:3238,
Apple CCK 3,
original Apple 5W PSU + Lightning cable,
some random USB cable,
ADI-2 Pro FW V1.09.

It might happen that the gold plating on the Lightning cable’s power contact wears out, have a close inspection with a magnifier.
NOT very likely the cause of the problem, but ...

KaiS wrote:

I had the music stop or jump to the next track from time to time - not quite often.

After installing the latest (beta-) firmware it never happened again.

Config:
iPhone 6 Plus,
iOS 12.5.2,
Tidal 2.18.0 build:3238,
Apple CCK 3,
original Apple 5W PSU + Lightning cable,
some random USB cable,
ADI-2 Pro FW V1.09.

It might happen that the gold plating on the Lightning cable’s power contact wears out, have a close inspection with a magnifier.
NOT very likely the cause of the problem, but ...

Thanks KaiS, I will check the contacts and narrow down the cause of the problem I encountered (looks like it is not the case, but will double check) .

What puzzled me is, it works fine in other DAC and Streaming speaker, the possible cause could be the USB cable between the RME and CCK and/or the loopback of USB, I do not know whether the loopback signals to the CCK will makes the Music App crash or stop the Music playing.

As I mentioned before, will observe for at least 1-2 weeks with loopback disabled.

7 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-05 06:41:40)

Update:

Apple Music App just crashed few minutes ago with loopback disabled, so loopback is not the problem.

Now another thing came in mind, it crash during I shuffle Albums or Songs, the sampling rate might differs from songs to songs, could it be the cause that the DAC switches to another sampling rate which created the stall?

I have different sample rate but every time I manually select the song, the sound will have some pause/noise at the beginning of the sample rate switch around 0.2-0.5 second. Just that.

But as you mentioned, I notice the stop happened with iOS Music app and VLC player app, not too frequent but it happened to stop / skip songs in both apps, I am not sure if this is iOS problem or just RME firmware issue.

n00BRX wrote:

I have different sample rate but every time I manually select the song, the sound will have some pause/noise at the beginning of the sample rate switch around 0.2-0.5 second. Just that.

But as you mentioned, I notice the stop happened with iOS Music app and VLC player app, not too frequent but it happened to stop / skip songs in both apps, I am not sure if this is iOS problem or just RME firmware issue.

Could be iOS problem (iOS 15 upwards), it happens date back at Dac firmware 66/41.

Sorry I am a new owner and the earliest firmware which is 66/41. And I do have that since I have the RME, was thinking about the problem of 5M usb cable

11 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-05 11:04:47)

n00BRX wrote:

Sorry I am a new owner and the earliest firmware which is 66/41. And I do have that since I have the RME, was thinking about the problem of 5M usb cable

I see. 5M is not extremely long.

Now I run kind of torture test, original RME USB cable to Apple CCK connected to iPhone SE 1st gen, Apple original charger with original lightning cable provides power to the Apple CCK. Apple Music set to Hi-res Lossless streaming with (Atmos off, sound check off, EQ off, default), shuffle Songs in the cloud library.

See what happens next .......

After 27.5 hours of "torture test", nothing bad happened.

So, I think nothing wrong with interconnects, the only possible fault could be Apple Music App bug, or their server problem.

Another possible cause is the WiFi connection, but I cannot figure out if it is the cause.

Troubleshooting done.

I checked the data flow rate at the WiFi router, when I started Shuffle of songs or albums, iPhone sucks a certain amount MB of data from the router (Apple Music server I think) to build a random playlist at the iPhone, then it plays, looks like after those data consumed, another round of data sucking is not successful and it stops playing and in a worst case, the Apple Music App crashed too.