Topic: Is Windows 10 as stable as Windows 7 was yet?

I just fired up a Windows 10 machine and I'm going through the process of streamlining everything and I was sort of caught off guard it didn't perform better because I have a 5950x.  Through this I've learned that drivers are really, really important, so I want to maximize the efficiency of my buffer.

Would I gain anything rolling back into a Windows 7 machine?  Right now I'm saturating my buffer pipe with as little as 15% CPU in task manager, because I'm saturating one core (single thread performance). 

Thanks for any help!

2 (edited by ramses 2022-01-12 19:13:08)

Re: Is Windows 10 as stable as Windows 7 was yet?

Going back to 7 has disadvantages
1. no security patches anymore, a nogo if the computer is connected to the internet
2. some applications can't be installed anymore (Cubase >= 10.5,..)
3. more modern CPUs are not supported there

You can Win10 to appear more like Win7 by installing
- O&O Win10 shutup (more privacy)
- StartIsBack++ (nice implementation of startmenue)

Also helpful
- prioritize background tasks
- disable CPU core parking (Bitsum CPU core parking)
- disable nVidia energy saving (PowerMizerSwitch)

This and more: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/8-18-cor … tup/103725

The usual BIOS/Windows tweaking....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hard to know really since it’s been years since I used win 7 and I know I had more problems on 7 than I’ve ever had on 10. Not the same for everyone though.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Yes IMHO 10 is now as stable as 7. Especially since v 21H1 and 21H2. For me this is the version I won't update anymore cause it is that reliable, just as I kept win7 frozen from a certain point.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632