Topic: Solid white power light

Hi,

I switched my unit on today and all I get is a solid white power light.  I unplugged it for a minute to see if it would reset, but nope.  Is there any procedure to try to recover it?  I did not do a firmware update or anything other than turn it on.
Help!
Rob

Re: Solid white power light

Actually light will turn red if I hold the power button, but that is it, nothing else!

Well, errr, ummm.....that is exactly how my perfectly functioning ADI-2 DAC works.  Push the power button, it turns white.  Hold it down for a second, goes into standby (turns red).

So, my friend, it would appear you have a working unit---at least from the lighting perspective.

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-13 04:05:21)

When you switch on the unit, the power button ring turns white, and you will hear several relay clicks, and screen will show the blue RME logo with the big volume knob ring light and screen shows up, the four vertical lined buttons were backlited, can you find it all light up?

When you push the power button longer, it will bring the unit to standby, few clicks and screen off with the button light remains on in red.

And, is it a new unit first start or it is working fine before? is the power plug turned 90 degrees and locked in place nicely? have you read the manual?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

5 (edited by rsg9999 2022-01-13 05:12:16)

Thanks Johannes for the intelligent and troubleshooting reply,

I have owned the unit for over 9 months and am aware of how it works, re the startup, shutdown routine with the relays and display that the pervious poster was inquiring about. 

Basically, I get a white light at power on and that is it.  No relays, no lcd, nothing else.  When I hold the power button for more than 8 seconds, it turns red, again no relays, display or any other indication of life.  It does respond in the exact way to the remote as far as the power indicator light, but the same overall.  I guess the unit is dead, I was hoping that there may be a reset button or key-hold sequence while powering it up or plugging it in that may reset it to factory settings. 

Shame as it is relatively new, but things do go bad occasionally, but it is really a great unit.  Guess I'm in for warranty now..

Thanks for the reply,
Rob

rsg9999 wrote:

Thanks Johannes for the intelligent and troubleshooting reply,

I have owned the unit for over 9 months and am aware of how it works, re the startup, shutdown routine with the relays and display that the pervious poster was inquiring about. 

Basically, I get a white light at power on and that is it.  No relays, no lcd, nothing else.  When I hold the power button for more than 8 seconds, it turns red, again no relays, display or any other indication of life.  It does respond in the exact way to the remote as far as the power indicator light, but the same overall.  I guess the unit is dead, I was hoping that there may be a reset button or key-hold sequence while powering it up or plugging it in that may reset it to factory settings. 

Shame as it is relatively new, but things do go bad occasionally, but it is really a great unit.  Guess I'm in for warranty now, Spam..

Thanks for the reply,
Rob

I see.

Returning to Factory State
In case a total reset is desired: hold encoder 1 and the VOL button pushed while turning on the
unit. This will reset all current settings to factory default. User-stored Setups and EQ presets are
not affected. The same action is performed by loading Factory via Setup Select. Note that the
reset will be incomplete when the unit is connected to USB while performing the reset.
When holding encoder 1, 2 and the VOL button pushed while turning on the unit, user-stored
Setups and EQ Presets are also reset.
The startup screen shows Reset Done when the reset process has been successfully initiated.
As soon as the message shows up VOL key and encoder 1 no longer need to be pushed.

See if it works or not, if not, most likely it needs to be service.

It seems dead. I am sure RME will take good care of you.

Before sending it in, you can try a different 12V power supply to make sure it's not a power supply issue.

In case you need to send it in for service, send the power supply as well to see if it works in correct condition or not.

Thanks Johannes,

Unfortunately, both reset tries were unsuccessful, it looks like it is bricked. 

Thanks for the help, curious to see what actually went wrong with it!

Rob

ning wrote:

Before sending it in, you can try a different 12V power supply to make sure it's not a power supply issue.

Thanks, I'll look up the specs, sure I have another 12V with proper amperage around here (I am a computer and sound engineer)

Rob

rsg9999 wrote:

Thanks Johannes,

Unfortunately, both reset tries were unsuccessful, it looks like it is bricked. 

Thanks for the help, curious to see what actually went wrong with it!

Rob

Rob, Try another 12V power supply as KaiS said, if not works, then send all in for service.

12 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-13 05:27:47)

rsg9999 wrote:
ning wrote:

Thanks, I'll look up the specs, sure I have another 12V with proper amperage around here (I am a computer and sound engineer)

Rob

Good, check the polarity of the plug to make sure it is correct.

The center should be positive and barrel is negative.

Will do, but getting late, I'll take a look in the morning and report back.  I'll take some measurements from the power supply as well to see what voltage it is reporting under no load.
Rob

rsg9999 wrote:

Will do, but getting late, I'll take a look in the morning and report back.  I'll take some measurements from the power supply as well to see what voltage it is reporting under no load.
Rob

Rob, with a voltmeter, things can easily sort out.

Johannes AU wrote:
rsg9999 wrote:

Rob

Rob, with a voltmeter, things can easily sort out.

Love to measure it under load, but don't want to splice or tap the wire, I may have a female to male connector I can put in between and test as well however.

16 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-13 09:46:35)

To measure the PSU under load you can use a resistor ca. 15 Ohm 10 Watt.

Or simply use a 10 W 12 V Halogene bulb as load.
https://www.lichtdiscount.de/media/image/da/f6/e5/stiftdtYVhOxF0TDsX_600x600.jpg
https://gluehbirnebillig.de/media/catalog/product/cache/e675e6dbf7ad77dbc4b3685b44b041c4/h/a/halo_gu53_mr16_cover_3d2e.jpg

Stick one pin into the PSU’s connector and press the other one to the outside.
If it lights up brightly the PSU works OK.

If you have a meter you can measure the voltages under this condition:
12 V DC, and 0 V AC !

17 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-13 07:55:12)

A 12V 10W motor car clearance light bulb would help.