Topic: OSC specification to control headphones

Hey! 

I'm truly confused by the OSC spec with Totalmix.  I seem to have to experiment to find what I need, the document 'OscTableTotalMix_121020' is pretty confusing tbh.

I have found by experimenting, that by sending a float to '/1/volume7' I can control Phones 1 on my Fireface 802.

Can someone explain WHY this is the syntax used for this function?!

Re: OSC specification to control headphones

i think the /1/ relates to the page number in the excel file.. volume7 relates to the output, I'm not near my UFX at the moment to check but sounds like you have assigned your output 7 to phones 1..

3 (edited by brooksaudio 2022-01-13 16:38:59)

Ahhhh!  I think you've helped me to understand.

So the Channel Layout window basically shows the configuration of outputs.  Some stereo, some mono, but my headphones 1 is 7th on the list!

http://brooksaudio.co.uk/education_/RMEoutputs.png

So here's another question - why doesn't OSC respond to /1/volume11 to control output ADAT 13/14?

my UFX isn't setup to verify what I'm saying so I'm going from memory but i think this is because there is no volume11 it only goes up to volume8... in order to control channel 11 you first have to switch banks and then volume3 will control that channel..  there is another OSC command which I think is "track+" and "track-" which allows you to switch banks.. so if you are making an OSC layout add a button to switch banks and then the same fader that controlled channel 3 will now control channel 11.. something along those lines..

I think the banks design was done to be easily implement with Mackie control but its a PITA with OSC.. hence so many people have been asking for global OSC control.. along with banks for channels you also have to switch between rows in order to access inputs/software/outputs so if you have an OSC layout where you want input channels on the same screen as output channels you cant do it... you need to include extra buttons for row and banks to move between locations..

Settings, OSC, Number of faders per bank...

And that document is outdated:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/osc_ … ix_new.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ebulb 2022-01-14 10:06:49)

ahhh that's right... I remember now you enabled more channels in settings.. I don't have my UFX setup currently so I couldn't check..

MC... are you moving any closer to a global OSC update for totalmix ? the main caveat I find is not being able to use inputs and outputs on same layout without needing to change rows first.. also 24 channels is a lot better than 8 but still being able to access all inputs without any banks at all would be nice..

We plan to have a look at all this again mid (this) year.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cool.. thanks