1 (edited by strangedays 2022-01-16 18:36:17)

Topic: RME Babyface Pro FS - writing fading after only 3 months use.

I have always been impressed with RME, and the FS quality if great.  However, after only 3 months use, the writing is fading on the buttons - the one that says "out" has completely gone.   I know its only cosmetic, but it will potentially affect resale value.  I tend to press this the most.  I think the others are slowly going.

I am surprised this was overlooked - anyone else notice this issue?  I could assume its my fingers or something odd, but none of my other gear is affected like this.

Also I used to own the Babayface Pro (none FS) I don't remember this issue.

Re: RME Babyface Pro FS - writing fading after only 3 months use.

I’ve had mine just over a year but I barely touch the buttons so unlikely It would happen quickly on mine which looks like new.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by strangedays 2022-01-16 19:46:11)

Yes its a bit odd - I flip between speakers and headphone a bit - but I wouldnt say its a lot.  Over 3 months seems quite extreme wear.

Well I’ve gone back to supplier - hope to find out what’s going on here.

It gets confusing with “wear” claims.  Hopefully RME can sort this out as I can’t believe given their great QC that this is normal.

5 (edited by strangedays 2022-01-20 19:38:19)

Well  I did receive a reply - I can send the device away and have the buttons replaced.

To be honest I don't know if I will have time for this. could take 4 weeks, and who knows if it will do it again.   I was told that it might be because I have sweaty hands, funny how they never affected my old Babyface Pro over 4 years of its life.

Guess just the QC of the devices has gone downhill.

I wouldn't automatically assume it's because quality has gone down. Over the last few decades, manufacturers have had to replace certain chemicals and compounds with more eco-friendly options and this can have a huge impact on durability.

Hope you get your new buttons eventually smile

I hadn’t really considered that.  It’s a stupid thing to chase up.  Maybe if that is the case an alternative design might be better.

strangedays wrote:

I hadn’t really considered that.  It’s a stupid thing to chase up.  Maybe if that is the case an alternative design might be better.

To take that a bit further, it is also possible that unknown chemicals on the owner's hands may interact with the buttons. Hair gels, after shave, hand lotions, sun tan lotions, etc.

I worked with a major electronics manufacturer where we discovered this was the cause of cases we investigated when seeing a similar behaviour.

I hope that you can resolve this easily. I own an original BF Pro (after owning two of the original BabyFaces) and its solid construction and reliability always gives me confidence in my work.

Thanks Ronmac,  I can see the print on the other buttons (that I don't use) has a definite weakness that can chip of really easily with a gentle rub - I didnt go far testing this in case I never resolve the issue.

I owned the Babyface Pro prior to the FS and never had this issue - I upgraded as I has someone interested to buy mine so upgraded as I owned the older non FS for 4 years.  Avoid using chemicals on my hands, I have quite a few devices here that don't show this issue.

I am in contact with the supplier at the moment, I have been offered to swap the buttons over, my worry is that I will be doing this again in 3 months.   I have always liked that I get good resale value with RME products. this would cause that to slide.  I love the size of the Babyface, its like carrying a mastering grade interface in your bag, all bus powered.  Nothing comes close in terms of portability and design.  It will be a shame if somethings slipped through and not identified as I hope to keep this interface for another 5 years at least and want it to stay looking pretty good for when I next upgrade one day (I do take really good care of my studio gear).

I wanted to add I have had really bad dropouts from the Babyface pro recently.  The drive just disappears from the Mac I'm using.  I am close to reconsidering my (now over 10 years) belief in RME.  Thats a real shame.  Not only have I not had a response on here regarding the typeface, but I am reconsidering the device I trust in my audio.  I was given quite a "stern" view from the supplier.  I guess you accept the opinion or you lump it.

11 (edited by ramses 2022-01-30 23:50:06)

strangedays, I am sorry for all the inconveniances that you have, but ....

at the moment, it's all conjecture. If there were general quality problems, the forum would be full of them. With machine production and mass delivery of parts it can happen, that a batch of something is maybe not fully ok. Sadly such things can't be avoided to 100%.
So I would propose to wait and see whether the new buttons solve the problem. If there should be remaining problems in the future I am pretty sure that you will get further help.

About the other problem. It would not be the first time that a computer update (operating system and/or services) leads to problems. I propose you try to find out what might have changed on your computer from the one day where all worked to the other day where not. Make some notes when you 1st observed that it didn't work reliably anymore to be able to cross check with logfiles and update histories. Sometimes such things can also happen on config changes of the user.

With Windows, I would restore a backup from a working system a few days ago in about 10-15 minutes.
This is the usual way how system administration and troubleshooting works ...
If this is not possible for your system, then you should ask for help how this can be achieved for your system.
Operating a computer without a proper backup / recovery strategy is like driving without safety belt.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

>  I am sure this forum will try to shame me,

This is not true. But you should give the information in a way that it is better understandable what you did already and what issue it could most likely be..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

strangedays wrote:

I wanted to add I have had really bad dropouts from the Babyface pro recently.  The drive just disappears from the Mac I'm using.  I am close to reconsidering my (now over 10 years) belief in RME.  Thats a real shame.  Not only have I not had a response on here regarding the typeface, but I am reconsidering the device I trust in my audio.  I was given quite a "stern" view from the supplier.  I guess you accept the opinion or you lump it.

Sounds like the USB connector is not fully inserted into the BF Pro USB socket. It must be pressed in deep so that the bigger part of the plug lines up with the housing, without gap.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Its not that, its plugged in. been doing this for a few days now.  I also have to shut totalmix down when it starts as I get this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45fqva0jgr2yv … 1.png?dl=0

Then it must be a computer issue as the hardware can not disturb graphics in this way. At least imho.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Really - I have other interfaces that don't do this (non RME).  Rather a blank statement to just pass it up as a computer issue, but its easier I guess to just blame that.  Nothing else has a problem on my computer, only this.

That graphics issue is known, does not cause further issues, and is easy to fix - just grab the window and resize it a pixel. But that graphics issue does not happen on its own, it is triggered by actions like wake from sleep or connecting/unconnecting second monitors. Identifying that might point to the real reason why your BF is dropping.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So issues with graphics aside, I am finding whenever I reboot my mac the RME does not register.  I have to reinstall the driver every time.  I wonder if this is related to some of the other issues I am having.  Does anyone know what causes this and a potential fix I can try.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME