Topic: UCX - connect a midi controller

What's a preferred method of connecting a midi controller. At the moment I am using Edirol PCR-30 which is connected to a laptop via a usb cable. The driver selected is Fireface Asio. Midi works fine in Cubase. Now I am thinking if I should connect the midi controller to the back of UCX? Is there any difference between the two methods of connecting a midi controller? Thank you.

Re: UCX - connect a midi controller

There is no way to connect a USB MIDI controller to the UCX directly - and no need to do so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you very much.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the midi port in the UCX for?

For MIDI... If your controller has also got regular MIDI connectors, then of course you can connect it to the UCX. Just not by USB...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I do apologise for not clarifying it earlier. I meant through regular MIDI connectors.

So to restate my question, is there any difference between connecting the controller to:
a) laptop via USB
b) UCX via regular MIDI connectors

Is one preferred over the other?

Shouldn't make much of a difference - try it out...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok. Thank you.

RME Support wrote:

There is no way to connect a USB MIDI controller to the UCX directly - and no need to do so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Could you clarify please: of the two midi ports on the back of the UCX is labeled "REMOTE".

Currently I'm trying to find out what can be plugged in there, I believe the old "ARC (advanced remote control)" could be, but not the new one. Those sorts of remote controllers are controllers, aren't they?

reon wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Could you clarify please: of the two midi ports on the back of the UCX is labeled "REMOTE".

Currently I'm trying to find out what can be plugged in there, I believe the old "ARC (advanced remote control)" could be, but not the new one. Those sorts of remote controllers are controllers, aren't they?

The old ARC which is not being manufactured anymore.
But there is no must for it.
Simply get the new ARC USB and connect it to your PC, TotalMix FX will perform the multiplexing between it and the UCX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13