1 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-25 10:46:14)

Topic: Technical question: FPGA/ Dac chip

I found the sticky topic of Firmware Update FPGA 254 for ADI-2 Pro FS R BE long time ago, for the Pro version, but not mentioned at Dac version.

Can someone explain it in layman terms about FPGA and Dac chip relationship?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

2 (edited by ramses 2022-01-25 10:32:54)

Re: Technical question: FPGA/ Dac chip

Since both devices are very similar in many basic functions, a firmware upgrade is released for both DAC and Pro, which is flashed with the same tool.

The DAC chip itself is a 3rd party chip from a specific manufacturer, which basically takes care of A/D and D/A conversion. Around the DAC chip there are various analog input and output stages that are switchable by Releais (the implementation of the 4 Reference Levels).
This chip is not reprogrammable, the ESS chip provides a way to "load" D/A filters, so the device essentially provides the same D/A filters as the AKM chip.
There are also DAC's that have been implemented with an FPGA. What an FPGA is, I explain in the following.

The FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) is a programmable CPU and takes care of all the other functions in the device and controls the device or lets you control the device.
The FPGA is like a CPU with the difference that FPGAs are completely reprogrammable by flashing. So new features, also concerning the display, could "relatively easily" (the usual programming efforts ...) be implemented.

The special thing about all RME products is the use of FPGAs and that also the USB communication with the computer is handled by the FPGA, which makes the devices completely independent from third party USB communication chips, which can have their own problems and then have the disadvantage that this cannot be fixed by flashing...

Due to the well thought-out design, RME devices have a very long driver/firmware support and overall a very long product life cycle.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you ramses smile

So I can understand it as: FPGA and Dac chip are two physically separate things, the FPGA is a programable thing(module) that sends commands to the Dac chip to make it follows the function as it planned at the FPGA, right?

Two completely independend chips

FPGA is under the full (programming-) control of RME (it's in fact their intellectual property/programming including all the nice features, steadyclock, any form of EQ'ing, auto reflevel, dynamic loudness, USB and other digital communication, ..).

The DAC chip is the "bought" 3rd party chip for AD and DA conversion purposes, use of D/A filter if supported from the DAC.
The DAC chip will have e.g. pins for clock, I/O and control purpose of the DAC chips functions and this is then also under the control of the FPGA.

This is my understanding about it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Two completely independend chips

FPGA is under the full (programming-) control of RME (it's in fact their intellectual property/programming including all the nice features, steadyclock, any form of EQ'ing, auto reflevel, dynamic loudness, USB and other digital communication, ..).

The DAC chip is the "bought" 3rd party chip for AD and DA conversion purposes, use of D/A filter if supported from the DAC.
The DAC chip will have e.g. pins for clock, I/O and control purpose of the DAC chips functions and this is then also under the control of the FPGA.

This is my understanding about it.

Thanks again ramses, alles klar smile