Topic: AVB-Tool PHY Problems :(

Hello the PHY in the device does not work satisfactorily with long cables. Example:

Digiface AVB < 80m Klotz RC5 > AVB Tool . If the link is unstable, as soon as you shake the RJ45, the values become so bad that there are dropouts and the link is lost. This is very unsatisfactory! It's not the cable, Dante devices don't have a problem. I have already fed the clock externally, you only have to push the Digiface AVB over the table and the connection is already disrupted. A Marvell Switch will not link with the AVB tool. Other devices do not exhibit this behavior!

Re: AVB-Tool PHY Problems :(

Cannot reproduce using a 105m off-the-shelf Cat5e cable. Shaking the RJ45 does not have any impact. Tested your exact setup with Digiface AVB and AVB Tool, no switch.

Best regards,
Max

What cable did you use exactly? The Klotz RC5 is very popular in the AV industry. Can it be that the AVB tool is wrong. Boards that are plugged in might be loose?

It is a no-name cable, NSEDT Cat5e Nippon Seisen PVC H228DI.
I'm sure its specs are by far worse than your RC5. Your problem is likely related to either:

1) oxidation on pins  => bad contact. Look closely if there has been some sort of white buildup on either side. I have seen that on RJ45 connectors of another manufacturer's devices.

2) shell of your plugs is connected to shield on both sides => possible ground issue due to ground continuity. Disconnect shield from shell on one side.

It is unlikely that the PHY or the AVB Tool connector is the culprit.

Best regards,
Max