1 (edited by realcamino 2022-03-02 21:38:16)

Topic: UFX+ Thunderbolt enumeration problems

My UFX+ Thunderbolt connection does not work reliably with Loopback 2 app by Rogue Amoeba.

What happens is that the Loopback 2 "forgets" the UFX+ after a few days.  I have to remove it (from all the setups which use it !) and add it back, and rewire everything in the Loopback 2 window by hand.  Major pain.  This happens once or twice per week.  Once I do the manual "re-add" of the UFX+ everything works fine until I disconnect the Mac from the UFX+.  I'm running a 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave.

This is the kinder version of the bug -- I originally had the UFX+ connected to the Mac via a Thunderbolt hub.  In this case, Loopback "forgot" the UFX+ every time I disconnected/reconnected the Mac from the hub.

RME support simply claims "this must be a software bug in the Loopback 2 app". 

Rogue Amoeba guys say they've heard about this issue with RME Thunderbolt before.  They also had me collect log dumps for them to verify.  After studying the logs they claim that the way the UFX+ does it's "Thunderbolt enumeration" is not following best practices.  In other words, there's no unique identifier set when the UFX+ registers itself as a Thunderbolt client.  Since it's the Thunderbolt unique identifier which Loopback uses to keep track of different hardware units, it can't tell for sure whether the UFX+ is the same unit (or a different one) than was connected previously.  I don't have a problem with Loopback 2 with any of my other interfaces.

Loopback 2 is the best loopback software available for Mac -- and I use it every day.  So this is a big deal -- for me at least.

I think that RME only has one Thunderbolt product so maybe Thunderbolt support is a low priority for you ... but any plans to improve the Thunderbolt drivers for Mac any time soon ?

Re: UFX+ Thunderbolt enumeration problems

We'll check that, thanks for the details.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please try driver 1.13. It now uses the unit's serial number as Unique-ID.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_113.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Installed it this morning.  Working.  So far so good !
I'll test it over the next week - both with a direct connection and with Thunderbolt hub in between.
Will report back in 7 days and let you know if Loopback 2 stays happy with no "forget" events.
THANKS SO MUCH for doing this.

We would have done this much earlier, but we simply were not aware of that issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

I have used it for over 10 days with a direct Thunderbolt connection between UFX+ and Mac.  Then another 10 days with a Thunderbolt hub in between the UFX+ and Mac (the hub is actually an Apple monitor with a Thunderbolt hub built in).

I HAD ZERO ISSUES the whole time.  Driver 1.13 works perfectly in both use cases.  This is the first time I've been able to use Loopback 2 trouble free with my UFX+.

I hope you do a global release of Driver 1.13 as it certainly seems to be rock solid.

Thank you again, Matthias, for getting this done so quickly. 

All the best,
J

MC wrote:

Hi is this driver M1 compatible? I am on V1.21, this 1.13 seems the older one but with newer Totalmix 1.75 (mine is 1.70)
I am yet to install just unzipped and checked the change log.
Thanks!

darkinners wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi is this driver M1 compatible? I am on V1.21, this 1.13 seems the older one but with newer Totalmix 1.75 (mine is 1.70)
I am yet to install just unzipped and checked the change log.
Thanks!

1.13 is for up to OS10.15  1.21 from OS11

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632