Topic: Long distance connection

Hi all!

My current setup is distributed so that I have my DAW in a different room than my keyboards. This connection has worked when they were in the same room:

iMac Pro -> Apple USB-C-to-Thunderbolt adapter -> Apple Thunderbolt-to-FireWire -adapter -> RME FireFace 800 audio interface.

So I want to extend this with a long USB-C cable like this:

iMac Pro -> USB-C cable -> Dock/Hub -> above mentioned adapters + RME FireFace 800

The USB-C cable would be: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product … ftUWC4sFk0
The Dock/Hub would be: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product … iKhYgJDAog

Any idea if this would work? If not, any working suggestions? I could use long FW cables as well, but I also want to connect a MIDI interface to the Dock/Hub and have the MIDI information going to the computer through the same USB-C cable.

Thanks,

Kim

Re: Long distance connection

I doubt if anyone here already has much experience with long USB-C cables. Too recent...

When it comes to hubs, you really need to try it before you can tell. Experiences have been mixed, but everyone seems to find a hub that works for them in the end.

I think it would be wise to buy from a shop that's easy to return gear. It's a bit pricey if it doesn't work. In a case like this, I'd email the shop. If there's no reply, find another shop. They'll probably don't know either, but it's a test to see if there still is anyone awake at the company.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

I think it would be wise to buy from a shop that's easy to return gear. It's a bit pricey if it doesn't work. In a case like this, I'd email the shop. If there's no reply, find another shop. They'll probably don't know either, but it's a test to see if there still is anyone awake at the company.

Yeah, I think this is good advice, I'll just try and see what works and what doesn't (hope I don't find any of those). The store in my links have good customer service and return policies, but I'll make sure I'm covered if things don't work out.

Cheers,

Kim

Ud the store is interested in your case, it's a good one.

Please let us know how it turns out.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

Please let us know how it turns out.

Will do, I'm sure this could be good info for someone.

Cheers,

Kim