Topic: UFX+ and Ferrofish Pulse

I just upgraded from Aurora 16 to a ufx+ and a Ferrofish pulse16.

I was playing back an old Logic project with multiple outputs feeding an analog board.  This was a file that played fine through the Aurora.  I started with adding a left and a right drum overhead (2 signals) through the first 2 DA channels of the Ferrofish through ADAT.  Everything sounded as expected.  Next, I added the snare mic to the mix.  I sent it through the third DA channel of the Ferrofish.  The snare sounded very delayed versus the overheads.  It was almost like an echo on the snare.  It was like  the audio file for the snare had been moved back in time by several samples.  I checked all kinds of settings in logic, and I couldn’t figure it out. 

Then, for some reason, I decided to try using an output out of the UFX+ for the snare.  The snare was back in time.  Does the UFX+ have to play through its own DAs to get alignment with the ADAT outputs of the Ferrofish?  Any ideas?

Big Sur 11.6.3
M1 Mac Mini
Driver version 3.27 (USB)

2 (edited by ramses 2022-01-31 10:42:32)

Re: UFX+ and Ferrofish Pulse

Not sure whether I am 100% right. I have the following theory.

The ASIO driver can't know, which D/A converter you connect through ADAT, so it can't fully compensate the latency, maybe for the USB3/TB part but not including the converter latency of the Ferrofish.
But as ADAT transfers the 8ch (at single speed) in parallel I think the audio signals should arrive at the same time at all ports of the Ferrofish.
So I think this is no issue for playback if you use only the Ferrofish outputs, the latency should be the same for all outputs.

I have no theory, why audio should be delayed at some outputs of the Ferrofish. You could plug a loop between all 16 in/out ports of the Ferrofish and measure the latency with the RTL utility to check, whether there are differences. https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php

Regarding strange/delayed sound. Not sure but, are both devices correctly clock synchronized ?
E.g. UFX+ master, Ferrofish slave and you see in the driver settings input status ADAT1+2 "sync" ?
Could you kindly post a screenshot of driver settings window ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

file:///Users/davidcummins/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.Photos/ExternalEditSessions/4AE5C827-2E4A-476B-B631-90E4F172C5B0/Image%201-31-22%20at%209.11%20AM.jpeg

thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure how to post images, but hopefully this works.

davidcummins69 wrote:

file:///Users/davidcummins/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.Photos/ExternalEditSessions/4AE5C827-2E4A-476B-B631-90E4F172C5B0/Image%201-31-22%20at%209.11%20AM.jpeg

thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure how to post images, but hopefully this works.

No this is a local file, nobody can access it.

You need to store it in "the cloud" and provide an URL here and put it between image tags as described here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There can be a small differences in converter latencies, but this is only a few samples and inaudible, except with sources that have phase relation. Therefore it is best to send the drum channels to one DA converter (the ufx or the pulse) But as I read your post you didi that so might just be a problem in logic. So I would set all outputs up first then assign the channels and save. the restart logic.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ok, let’s give this a try for the screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjbdlh1wspramr9/ufx%2B%20driver%20screenshot.jpeg?dl=1

Edit Mod: changed 'url' to 'img'

Both ADAT channels -> sync -> ok.

Thanks all for the help.  I just ended up using the RME DA's first on the drums.  Problem seems to be gone.  Weird one.