Topic: UFX+ and Thunderbolt

Hi there gents,

I have a PCIe Thunderbolt 3 card in my machine. I'm using a TB3 to TB2 adapter, but I can't get the machine to see the UFX+ via thunderbolt. No problems with USB.

I want to try TB because I'm getting the oddest intermittent dropouts in audio via USB. (even when playing audio with Windows Media Player)

Thanks,
Robin

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Re: UFX+ and Thunderbolt

It's been a frustrating weekend. I've been trying to troubleshoot these audio 'dips' with no luck.

I have ordered the Sonnet USB 3 PCIe card which will be here in a few days.

I thought that buying the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 connectors would work, but I simply can't get the UFX+ to see the machine via Thunderbolt. I had no problems with the Lynx gear connecting via TB3.

I start tracking a big album tomorrow so this leaves me no option, but to revert to the Lynx Hilo/Aurora(n) setup. That's if I can get the Lynx drivers to install. Their software and drivers are terrible..

Nice, stuck without a solution with a few hours left to go

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

You should have mentioned that you verified the operation of your TB3 port with a different device. Too often people don't have a working TB3 inside their computer at all.

That said is that the official Apple TB3 to TB2 connector? It does not work with some computers. The StarTech adapter is the safer bet.

But before you spent money on that one first make sure you have set the Interface Mode of the UFX+ to either Auto or TB. If you set it to USB before then obviously TB will not be recognized.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your reply Mattias.

Yes, it is the Apple TB3 to TB2 connecter/adapter. I'll order the StarTech once I'm sure the Apple one isn't working.

I'll troubleshoot the TB connection once I get through the next day or two.

For now I have, what seems to be, a working USB connection.

Regards,
Robin

5 (edited by Labdoc 2022-02-02 02:41:40)

FWIW, I have a working TBT setup. Asus Prime Z370A motherboard, Gigabyte Titan Ridge TC2 TBolt 3 PCIe Adapter and Startech TBT3 to 2 adapter (https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cables/tbt3tbtadap). I have used a 2m Startech cable TBOLTMM2M to connect to the UFX+ in the past. I now have a 50m Corning cable. Works perfectly.
Edit: 30m (not 50m)
It was a fiddle to get the motherboard Bios to recognize the PCIe card. I can post screen shots of the bios setup if that is an issue for you.  Also, I could not get the Asus TBT EX3 card to work (a flaw that is recognized in forums on the internet). The Gigabyte card works fine.

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64