Topic: RME sur Bloc de puissance

Bonjour depuis 15 jours j'ai branché mon RME ADI 2 DAC sur mon bloc de puissance MC INTOSH via les sortie XLR et le subwoofer via les SORTIE RCA. ma source LINN AKURATE DS reliée avec un câble coaxiale
Tout fonctionne, beaucoup de détail de la dynamique mais un son un poil trop numérique comparativement à mon système initial
sur les voix je perd en émotions tout me parait trop clair
J'ai paramétré le RME comme suit:
Auto Revel: OF
Level: 7 Db
Est ce que j'ai oublié quelque chose ?
Merci pour vos conseils

LINN AKURATE DS, LINN UNIDISC SC,AMPLIS MCINTOSH C300 et MC7106 + RME

Re: RME sur Bloc de puissance

Hello Eric.

There's a lot of factors at play here. Your Room, etc.

For starters, most of us insist that Auto-Ref be ON so the DAC can deliver a more highly optimized signal level to your Mc.

Let's not forget "Dynamic Loudness"!!!

After that, there is no Crime in using the Bass/Treble controls to adjust system tone to your liking.  The RME uses an extraordinarily high resolution system that could soften the Trebles much more to your tastes, and do so in the most transparent manner possible.

Tell us more, and be assured that the User Group is here to help.

You'll be fine!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

Hello Eric.

There's a lot of factors at play here. Your Room, etc.

For starters, most of us insist that Auto-Ref be ON so the DAC can deliver a more highly optimized signal level to your Mc.

Let's not forget "Dynamic Loudness"!!!

After that, there is no Crime in using the Bass/Treble controls to adjust system tone to your liking.  The RME uses an extraordinarily high resolution system that could soften the Trebles much more to your tastes, and do so in the most transparent manner possible.

Tell us more, and be assured that the User Group is here to help.

You'll be fine!

Curt

Merci pour votre reponse
Des que je passe en Auto Revel ON, le son est tres mauvais je remet ON et Level à 7DB et cela devient beaucoup beaucoup mieux

Avec Auto Reflevel on, tu dois aussi faire attention à ne pas régler le DAC sur un volume de 0 dB, sinon il hurle à pleine puissance et pourrait alors surcharger les entrées chez toi.
Règle au moins le volume de sortie de manière à ce que tu puisses voir sur l'écran que le niveau Reflevel +7 n'est pas dépassé.
Si tu as activé le dynamic loudness, tu dois également adapter le niveau ici.

Pourrais-tu, s'il te plaît, utiliser un traducteur pour que tout le monde puisse participer plus facilement à la discussion et peut-être avoir d'autres bons conseils pour toi.

Un bon traducteur est celui-ci : https://www.deepl.com
Ce serait très gentil et aussi dans ton intérêt wink

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

With Auto Reflevel on you must also make sure that you do not set the DAC to 0dB volume, otherwise it will roar out with full power and could then overload the inputs.
Set the output volume at least so that you see in the front display that the Reflevel +7 is not exceeded.
If you have activated dynamic loudness you have to adjust the level here as well.

Could you please use a translator, then everyone can participate easier in the discussion and maybe have other good tips for you.

A good translator is this one: https://www.deepl.com
That would be very kind and also in your interest wink

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

"Howl" as Ramses states is putting it Mildly. 

Immediately, I think the inputs of your Mcintosh are being overloaded, and there is no end to the distortions which result.   There's much about your set-up that we don't know, so to a degree it becomes a guessing game for us.

Reduce volume (using the big knob on the RME) and tell us what Volume setting sounds good.

Let's start from the beginning here. wink

Curt

Revel 7 dB, RME volume between 30 and 25 (comfortable volume, everything is fine but I miss a little something) superb on some recordings a little hard on others

7 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-06 21:33:27)

Eric, I think perhaps you're hearing more clearly the fact that many recordings are simply NOT good!

The RME is designed to tell the Engineer/Listener that his work is either good or bad.  There are no "smoothing" effects applied as may be more common in HiFi products directed towards a consumer that simply expects a particular sound.  The RME tells the truth! That being as it may,  Some recordings are simply trash!  I have a LOT of them.  * There is nothing on Earth that can make "Voice of the Beehive" actually sound good, but they give me a kick nonetheless. wink

The Cult "Love" sounds as if it was recorded in a Tin Shack. Always did.   What is my RME supposed to do?

We're not done here, and there is more about your set-up that needs investigation.

Curt

Most likely he need a pair of XLR inline attenuators.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by N00b 2022-01-07 12:11:44)

Salut Eric !
Je confirme ce que les autres ont posté : il faut bien activer le Auto Ref level et le Dynamic Loudness (deux fonctions top qui sont vraiment uniques sur le RME).
Comme ça a été dit, avec le Auto Vol Ref activé, il faut bien baisser le volume et trouver la plage idéale : à 0 dB avec le Auto Vol Ref, tu es à + 19 dBu, forcément ça va saturer les entrées de ton ampli, qui n'est pas fait pour ça...

En fonction du volume réglé, le Auto Vol Ref va switcher automatiquement entre les différents niveaux hardware, ça permet de toujours utiliser la machine dans sa plage idéale.

Dans l'idéal, le but du jeu c'est de calibrer l'ensemble pour que quand tu approches de 0 dB sur le RME avec Auto Vol Ref activé, ton son soit à fond. C'est là que tu utiliseras le RME de manière optimale. Si quand tu atteins les -20dB ça fait déjà mal aux oreilles, il faut acquérir des "pads" : des atténuateurs XLR (Voir le lien posté par Ramses). Ça te permet de baisser les niveaux de -10 ou -20 dB afin d'arriver à calibrer tout ça au mieux. smile

En espérant que ça t'aide !

PS : d'ailleurs si ces atténuateurs t'intéressent, j'ai une paire de JTS MA-123 qui ne me sert plus, je peux te les faire à 25 € la paire !

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Eric,

Before we go too far, it might be helpful if you could tell us which McIntosh amplifier you are using.   A model # would let us research the device a bit, and perhaps allow us to better help you.

Merci!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Eric,

Before we go too far, it might be helpful if you could tell us which McIntosh amplifier you are using.   A model # would let us research the device a bit, and perhaps allow us to better help you.

Merci!

Curt

Apres plusieurs essais je confirme. Meilleur résultat  Auto Ref Level OFF, Ref Level 7 dB
Niveau entée ampli 1.5v (ampli McIntosh C300)
After several tries I confirm. Best result Auto Ref Level OFF, Ref Level 7 dB
Input level 1.5v (McIntosh C300 amp)

13 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-07 14:26:10)

Eric,

Possibly an MC-300?   Take a look behind the Amp.  Do you see input level controls?   Those might be our friend!   If this is so, REDUCE the input level controls of the Mc so that we can have an enjoyable normal listening level with your RME's Volume Control in the -15db range (+/- a bit is fine)   

Did we ever mention that we really like Auto-Ref, and Dynamic Loudness to be active?    You'll agree!  smile

Curt

There is a switch at the back of the MC300, 1.4 and 2.5V, did you try 2.5V setting?

We're getting there Johannes!  big_smile

Curt

16 (edited by N00b 2022-01-07 14:32:37)

ericcholley63 wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Eric,

Merci!

Curt

Apres plusieurs essais je confirme. Meilleur résultat  Auto Ref Level OFF, Ref Level 7 dB
Niveau entée ampli 1.5v (ampli McIntosh C300)
After several tries I confirm. Best result Auto Ref Level OFF, Ref Level 7 dB
Input level 1.5v (McIntosh C300 amp)

En effet, avec 1,5 V RMS (=5.7 dBu), t'es pas mal à 7 dBu de ref level.

Mais encore une fois, c'est dommage de se passer du Auto Ref Level...
Avec le Auto Vol Ref sur ON, tu auras exactement le même résultat sonore, sauf que tu optimiseras la dynamique du DAC quand tu baisseras le volume...

Pour info, 0 dB à Ref Level +7 dB = -12 dBr avec le Auto Vol Ref.
Avec Auto Vol Ref sur Off, dès que tu va descendre le volume en dessous de -6 dB, tu t'éloigneras de la plage dynamique optimale de la machine. Avec le Auto Vol Ref sur ON, le DAC switchera tout seul sur le niveau hardware du dessous quand tu baisses le volume et il optimisera ainsi la plage dynamique du DAC.

Et comme on te l'a déjà dit aussi, avec une paire d'atténuateurs de -10 dB, tu serais au top avec le Auto Vol Ref : tu exploiterais ainsi les 4 niveaux hardware de l'ADI 2 DAC.

https://rehost.diberie.com/Picture/Get/f/58231

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

17 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-07 15:07:04)

Curt962 wrote:

We're getting there Johannes!  big_smile

Curt

The Auto ref level of the Dac is a perfect measuring toooool ....

A good example, my friend is doing youtube live singing event, and do not find the correct level feed to youtube, so I use the RME, connect to computer, watch the live stream and monitor the pre-fx level for them, tell them how many dB below or over ideal, DONE.

Thanks for posting the nice Spreadsheet N00b!

Curt

The JTS MA-123 attenuator is good with 3 settings, which is more than enough smile

Merci pour vos conseils très intéressants, je comprends mieux comment fonctionne le RME
Je continue mes essais ce soir en tenant comptes de vos propositions
Thank you for your very interesting advice, I understand better how the EMN works
I will continue my tests this evening, taking into account your suggestions

Nouvelle question:
Est il possible d'utiliser la DAC du RME sans son préampli
New question:
Is it possible to use the RME DAC without its preamp

ericcholley63 wrote:

Nouvelle question:
New question:

For what purpose ?

You would need the pro model to get digital outputs.

Nouvelle question:
J'accède facilement au menu EQ, mais impossible de trouver le sous menu LOUDNESS et réglage des GRAVES/AIGUS
New question:
I can easily access the EQ menu, but I can't find the LOUDNESS sub-menu and the TREBLE/HIGH settings

ramses wrote:
ericcholley63 wrote:

Nouvelle question:
New question:

For what purpose ?

Mon but: garder le DAC du RME et profiter de mon préampli LINN qui me donne un son qui me convient mieux (utiliser la sortie RCA du RME via mes câbles de modulation et les brancher sur les fiches ENTREE du pré-ampli LINN)
My goal: to keep the RME's DAC and take advantage of my LINN preamp which gives me a sound that suits me better (use the RME's RCA output via my modulation cables and plug them into the LINN preamp's INPUTS)

25 (edited by ramses 2022-01-09 14:49:35)

ericcholley63 wrote:
ramses wrote:
ericcholley63 wrote:

Nouvelle question:
New question:

For what purpose ?

Mon but: garder le DAC du RME et profiter de mon préampli LINN qui me donne un son qui me convient mieux (utiliser la sortie RCA du RME via mes câbles de modulation et les brancher sur les fiches ENTREE du pré-ampli LINN)
My goal: to keep the RME's DAC and take advantage of my LINN preamp which gives me a sound that suits me better (use the RME's RCA output via my modulation cables and plug them into the LINN preamp's INPUTS)

Sorry, I do not know your Linn Preamp and it's "sound": my general recommendation to you is use case 3, see diagram below and an attenuator which is switchable between -10,-20,-30 dB like this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm

My ADI-2 Pro FS R BE plays e.g. extremely well in front of Accuphase E-600 and B&W 803D3.
I could A/B test it with Accuphases own DAC module DA-40 and perform quick comparisons, so I know you can trust the ADI-2 DAC/Pro. Even with the oldest ADI-2 Pro from 5y ago tad a bit better sound. Accuphase DAC-40 module sounded a little bit like ADI-2 Pro in NOS with the usual treble degration of NOS filters.

Dynamic Loudness and Auto Reflevel work really well in my setup, I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine in your setup as well.

I fear you might be doing something wrong or are having a wrong test methodology. Why ? D/A converter do (or better said should) not have differences, they all should perform a clean transparent D/A conversion.
Maybe the Slow or NOS filter pleases your ears more, but ensure you can do quick comparisons and at exactly the same listning volume. For our ears louder sounds better (thus the loudness war in music industry).

You always need to compare at the exact same listening level and usually it's not easy/possible to be able to perform a quick A/B testing. Another problem is psychoacoustic, if you do not perform a blind or double blind test. You should better try to exclude them if any possible, otherwise you might come to wrong results and wrong conclusions, which is of nobodies adavantage.

I tried to put together a diagram which shows the advantages of ADI-2 DAC/Pro as central instance for D/A conversion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yujcqv967lafkxr/RME%20ADI-2%20DAC%2BPro-Connection%20Diagrams%2C%20etc%20v001.jpg?dl=1

You can use a 4:1 TOSLINK switcher in front of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro to be able to switch between 4 optical SPDIF/ADAT links.
I would connect all other devices like BluRay/Streamer/TV through the TOSLINK switcher to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro.
I would make the ADI-2 DAC/Pro the main device for D/A conversion.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2774-ADI-2-Pro-FS-R-BE-Use-Cases-jpg/

ericcholley63 wrote:

Nouvelle question:
J'accède facilement au menu EQ, mais impossible de trouver le sous menu LOUDNESS et réglage des GRAVES/AIGUS
New question:
I can easily access the EQ menu, but I can't find the LOUDNESS sub-menu and the TREBLE/HIGH settings

At analyzer screen,  press <I/O>,  turn knob 2 to find  B/T, Loudness and Parametric EQ.

Impossible d'acceder a LOUDNESS ou grave aigus
Unable to activate the loudness or low treble sub-menu
how to activate the loudness menu after pressing the EQ button

28 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-09 16:20:52)

ericcholley63 wrote:

Impossible d'acceder a LOUDNESS ou grave aigus
Unable to activate the loudness or low treble sub-menu
how to activate the loudness menu after pressing the EQ button

At analyzer screen,  press  button <I/O>,  press knob 1 until it goes to the top most, turn knob 2 to find  B/T, Loudness and Parametric EQ.

Sur l'écran de l'analyseur, appuyez sur le bouton <I/O>, appuyez sur le bouton 1 jusqu'à ce qu'il soit le plus haut, tournez le bouton 2 pour trouver B/T, Loudness et EQ paramétrique.

L'arborescence du menu se trouve à la page neuf du manuel.

The menu tree is at manual page nine.

30 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-09 16:26:51)

Eric,

Loudness Function is accessed via the I/O key on the front panel.

Press I/O

Use encoder 1 (little knob top right) to Scroll upward until "Settings" is displayed.

Using encoder 2 (little knob bottom right) to scroll through the options.

When you see "Loudness" you are there!

https://i.ibb.co/YX9cghP/20220108-110439.jpg

On the Loudness Screen, the First Option you see is "Enable?"

Press encoder 2 to highlight the enable function.

He!! Yes you want that enabled!!

Rotate encoder 2 to activate this function.

This is all explained in the user manual.   Very helpful to use that. wink

There's more user definable parameters within the Loudness Function, but let's begin by simply turning it ON.

Curt

Eric, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … BXHW8oMCGx

Merci ça fonctionne

ericcholley63 wrote:

Merci ça fonctionne

Bien, nous sommes heureux que cela aide smile

34 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-09 17:22:26)

ericcholley63 wrote:

Merci ça fonctionne

Cool!

Now Eric, I refer you to Pg. 14 of your User Manual to describe how to best set-up your Loudness. (ie: Low Vol Ref)   

I don't encourage you to adjust the Bass/Treble parameters, as over my years of use, I find RME's default parameters to be ideal in the home.  (These parameters are all based on the Fletcher-Munson Loudness Contours Studies which are the de-facto standard in Audio Design).

*The Fletcher/Munson Research studied the Human Ear's apparent loss of Sensitivity/Acuity at reduced volume levels.

PS:  Eric, we all understand that this can be a bit daunting for a new user, but trust that it works superbly as might be expected from a Pro-Audio device.   smile

Your New RME is a virtual "Studio in a Box".   Learn how to use it!

Enjoy!!

Curt

Eric, exactly, though a bit daunting at the beginning, but nothing bad can happen, start with lower volume to test and experience the setting of the DAC, nothing will be damage, unless you pour coffee or red wine on it or melt a piece of butter on the warm cabinet.

Do come back and ask if you need assistance, we are all happy to help.

================

Eric, exactement, bien que ce soit un peu intimidant au début, mais rien de mal ne peut arriver, commencez avec un volume plus faible pour tester et expérimenter les réglages du DAC, rien ne sera endommagé, à moins que vous ne versiez du café ou du vin rouge dessus ou que vous fassiez fondre un morceau de beurre sur le meuble chaud.

Revenez nous voir si vous avez besoin d'aide, nous sommes tous heureux de vous aider.

Petit retour sur mes essais RME + MC INTOSH
après des jours d'essais de paramétrage du RME, j'ai réussi à avoir un son correct mais il manquait quelque chose
Ce Week end j'ai décidé de débrancher tous mes éléments  et tous rebranché et ouahhhh, toutes la musique que j'aime était la superbe
le RME a +5 db, essayons de remettre le Nivel Contrôle sur ON. Bingo tout est parfait résultat magnifique
fluidité , timbres dynamique
Merci RME
A little feedback on my RME + MC INTOSH tests
after days of trying to set up the RME, I managed to get a decent sound but something was missing
This Week end I decided to unplug all my elements and plugged them all back in and wow, all the music I like was great
the RME has +5 db, let's try to put the Nivel Control back on. Bingo everything is perfect beautiful result
fluidity, dynamic timbres
Thanks RME

37 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-19 05:32:42)

ericcholley63 wrote:

Petit retour sur mes essais RME + MC INTOSH
après des jours d'essais de paramétrage du RME, j'ai réussi à avoir un son correct mais il manquait quelque chose
Ce Week end j'ai décidé de débrancher tous mes éléments  et tous rebranché et ouahhhh, toutes la musique que j'aime était la superbe
le RME a +5 db, essayons de remettre le Nivel Contrôle sur ON. Bingo tout est parfait résultat magnifique
fluidité , timbres dynamique
Merci RME
A little feedback on my RME + MC INTOSH tests
after days of trying to set up the RME, I managed to get a decent sound but something was missing
This Week end I decided to unplug all my elements and plugged them all back in and wow, all the music I like was great
the RME has +5 db, let's try to put the Nivel Control back on. Bingo everything is perfect beautiful result
fluidity, dynamic timbres
Thanks RME

Eric, glad to know all works fine, sometimes, remove and replug all interconnects can help if something is loose or with bad contacts, now play the Pavarotti's "Libiamo ne'lieti calici" and enjoy the music with a glass of wine smile

Eric, content de savoir que tout fonctionne bien, parfois, enlever et rebrancher toutes les interconnexions peut aider si quelque chose est desserré ou avec des mauvais contacts, maintenant jouez le "Libiamo ne'lieti calici" de Pavarotti et appréciez la musique avec un verre de vin.

Bonjour
J'ai telecharger le dernier firmwaire du RME sur mon PC , j'ai branche le RME vie l'USB et jai lacer le logiciel ERME
Comment s'assurer que tout c'est bien deroule, est ce que mon firmware est bien à jour
Hello
I have downloaded the latest RME firmware to my PC, plugged the RME into the USB and launched the ERME software
How can I be sure that everything went well, is my firmware up to date?

ericcholley63 wrote:

Bonjour
J'ai telecharger le dernier firmwaire du RME sur mon PC , j'ai branche le RME vie l'USB et jai lacer le logiciel ERME
Comment s'assurer que tout c'est bien deroule, est ce que mon firmware est bien à jour
Hello
I have downloaded the latest RME firmware to my PC, plugged the RME into the USB and launched the ERME software
How can I be sure that everything went well, is my firmware up to date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtEH83rcQ8Q

40 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-30 15:59:02)

Hi Eric,

The Easy way to determine your RME's current firmware status is to see it displayed under the Blue "RME" logo as the device powers up.  It only appears briefly however.

Alternatively, you can access this information via the SET UPS menu.

Set Ups>Options>Remap Keys/Diagnostic.  Using encoder 2, scroll down to see the SW version installed.

https://i.ibb.co/TvZ7vvZ/20220130-093422.jpg

Not difficult at all!

Curt

41 (edited by ramses 2022-01-30 16:07:55)

Hi Curt, how are you ?

Regarding easy way .. I simply power-cycle and look for the version number information below the RME logo.

Side note / hint: do not recommend this for the Pro, there it would create more efforts as you would need to know that you find it there under a different submenue called ("SPDIF / Remap Keys") and there it is the 14. (!) entry, last in the list of options wink

Hi Ramses!

Perhaps good to point out to Eric that the FW update process is quite seamless, and the FUT utility verifies the update was properly applied, and leaves the User to worry about nothing!  Simply Turn OFF the device, then turn it back ON for the FW to become active.   So simple, even I can do it!  big_smile

Curt

Merci pour votre aide

44 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-30 17:52:23)

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Ramses!

Perhaps good to point out to Eric that the FW update process is quite seamless, and the FUT utility verifies the update was properly applied, and leaves the User to worry about nothing!  Simply Turn OFF the device, then turn it back ON for the FW to become active.   So simple, even I can do it!  big_smile

Curt

Even flash it twice, no problem at all, but I did once, forgot to turn it off and on again .... its a long while ago .... tongue

By the way, where have you been and how is everything?

ericcholley63 wrote:

Merci pour votre aide

You are always welcome! Enjoy the RME smile

SW version j'ai 41

47 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-30 19:44:05)

Johannes AU wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Hi Ramses!

Curt

Even flash it twice, no problem at all, but I did once, forgot to turn it off and on again .... its a long while ago .... tongue

By the way, where have you been and how is everything?

Me?   I've been doing my thing.. Drilling holes in the Atmosphere, etc to keep the Family Fed, and providing electricity for my Toys at home. wink

Re-Flash the FW?  Can't hurt I guess, but the FUT utility already tells you immediately the currently installed FW version, so...

I think I re-flashed FW once a long time ago, and seem to recall a message:  "Dude?  You already have this FW!!  What on earth do you want us to do now?" big_smile

May have just been my imagination?  wink

Curt

Hello
Firmware installation problem
I downloaded on the RME website the drivers and the flash update for Windows
I connected the RME to the PC via USB
Executed the driver software and rebooted the pc at the windows prompt
then I launched the flash update software "Update
turned off and on the RME and nothing happens
in the SETUP menu I have SW version 07 2021 and no info on my update
who can help me?

49 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-02 17:00:58)

Eric,

Did you "extract" the contents of the fut_madiface_win file before you tried to to update your DAC?

https://i.ibb.co/gyfFxnV/20220202-105627.jpg

Note the Pink Box.   These FW updates are packaged as .ZIP files, and must be "extracted" before we can use them. 

Not extracting the file contents would be a showstopper.   

Take a closer look.

Curt

yes I unzip it and then execute