1 (edited by Jperkins 2021-11-02 01:05:54)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro/DAC Question

I have an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE but I'm using it in standalone ADDA mode with some other converters connected to my RME AES card and can't easily remove it to test.

Plus, I'd like to know if the simpler ADI-2 DAC FS can do this.

What I'd like to do is have a travel DAC (I don't need inputs for this use) that can have two stereo playback paths from my DAW.

For example, WaveLab Pro has "Reference Tracks" and you can set output 1-2 to be your main DAW output, and have a 2nd track called a Reference Track that can feed alternate audio to output 3-4.

So basically, I'm wondering if either the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2 DAC FS can allow 4 mono (or 2 stereo) channels of audio from a DAW and allow me to toggle between outputs 1-2 or 3-4 on the unit itself so I can compare the sounds.

I know the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has two headphone outputs but I would not be able to realistically physically move the headphone cable to the other jack to A/B.

The goal would be to A/B outputs 1-2 and 3-4 with the press of a button on the unit itself.

If anybody knows if this is possible with either unit, that would be great to know.

Thank you.

2 (edited by Jperkins 2021-11-02 02:04:36)

Re: ADI-2 Pro/DAC Question

Somebody also suggested the Babyface Pro FS. Can anybody comment on the DAC quality and headphone amp?

As a mastering engineer, I'm attracted to the ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC but I'm not sure if the Babyface Pro FS is in the same league here in terms of DAC and headphone amp. Anytime things start to have mic preamps and other stuff it makes me question if the DAC and headphone amp is mastering grade like the ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC have been deemed to be.

ADI-2 Pro: you can feed 2 stereo channels to the unit via USB (USB 1/2 and USB 3/4), and use the Source selector in the I/O Settings to listen to any of them via Mains Out 1/2. This just requires to set the unit into multichannel DAC mode.

The phones output allows a source selection in any multichannel mode.

This is not possible with the ADI-2 DAC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Jperkins 2021-11-02 13:19:02)

MC wrote:

ADI-2 Pro: you can feed 2 stereo channels to the unit via USB (USB 1/2 and USB 3/4), and use the Source selector in the I/O Settings to listen to any of them via Mains Out 1/2. This just requires to set the unit into multichannel DAC mode.

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying and confirming it's possible. I will have to test it when time permits but turning it into a multichannel DAC with USB 1/2 and 3/4 sounds perfect, especially if I can toggle USB 1/2 and 3/4 to feed either source to headphone output 1/2 for comparison with the press of a button.

Now the question remains if I buy a 2nd ADI-2 Pro for my travel bag or just make it easier to grab my current one and put it in my travel bag when needed.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-11-02 13:33:55)

Jperkins wrote:
MC wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying and confirming it's possible. I will have to test it when time permits but turning it into a multichannel DAC with USB 1/2 and 3/4 sounds perfect, especially if I can toggle USB 1/2 and 3/4 to feed either source to headphone output 1/2 for comparison with the press of a button.

Now the question remains if I buy a 2nd ADI-2 Pro for my travel bag or just make it easier to grab my current one and put it in my travel bag when needed.

Strange, my Pro R BE is in CC multi-channel mode and I just switched
Options -> Device Mode -> Basic Mode to "USB"

In I/O -> Main Output 1/2 -> Settings -> I can't change AD/DA Source it stays on "Auto"
Only in I/O -> Phones Out 3/4 ->  Settings I can change Source .. and some of the choices there are USB 1/2 und USB 3/4.
But nothing like this for Main Output 1/2

Maybe I am just doing something wrong. Device: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. Firmware: v102

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Read again:

This just requires to set the unit into multichannel DAC mode. wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2021-11-03 16:40:52)

MC wrote:

Read again:

This just requires to set the unit into multichannel DAC mode. wink

Device is set to Multichannel: Options -> Device Mode -> CC-Mode -> Multichannel.

Device is connected through USB to PC and via AES to UFX+.
I am using it mainly in AD/DA mode, USB I only use "preconnected" for firmware options.

The steps:

1. I switched  Options -> Device Mode -> Basic Mode from "AD/DA" to "USB"
2. I selected I/O -> Phones Out 3/4 -> Settings -> Source
    There I can select between: Auto, AES, SPDIF, Analog, USB 1/2, USB 3/4
3. turned Encoder 1 back one tick to reach Main Output 1/2
    There the Settings Menue has no Source like in Phones Out 3/4, the 1st option under Settings is here AD/DA Source
    and this option is dimmed and can't be changed.

What am I doing wrong?  Am I doing something wrong?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by KSTR 2021-11-03 19:51:32)

Main out can only be fed from USB1/2 no matter which mode. I think @MC erred here, in hurry.

Phones 3/4 can select USB1/2 or USB3/4 in Class Compliant Multi-channel mode, with operating mode set to anything except "DAC" (and with "balanced phones" set to OFF).

So if you monitor with headphones (like the OP wants to) no problem to switch USB source channels.
For the main outs, alas, no way. You'll have to use the Ph3/4 output.

KSTR wrote:

You'll have to use the Ph3/4 output.

Thanks for all the info here. It'll likely be a week or two before I have time to test this myself but yes, I only care about headphones only here.

As long as the headphone amp and DAC for Ph3/4 is of the same quality as 1/2, I don't see a problem using that other than it feels a little backwards smile

10 (edited by beat8000 2021-11-03 22:15:26)

According to my check Main Out can be fed from USB 1/2 and 3/4 in multichannel DAC mode as @MC has written above.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

I double checked, and yes I found it, main outs can be fed from USB3/4 but only when the unit is in "DAC" mode (and then, source for PH3/4 is fixed), and when set to Class Compliant USB Mode, of course. The "DAC" mode has to be set manually, as "auto" will never select it.

So we can have it all, just not everything at the same time ;-)

12 (edited by Jperkins 2022-02-02 17:04:10)

I'm finally about to try this later in the week after reading the manual again but in theory, are we saying that this is possible?:

1) Use the ADI-2 Pro FS in Multichannel USB mode
2) Send an audio track from my DAW to USB 1/2 (stereo) and another DAW track to USB 3/4
3) Plug my headphones into the 2nd headphone jack (3/4) and then on the ADI-2 Pro FS interface, toggle between hearing USB 1/2 and 3/4 seamlessly so I can A/B compare the sound of the two stereo audio streams?

13 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-03 01:36:21)

Jperkins wrote:

I'm finally about to try this later in the week after reading the manual again but in theory, are we saying that this is possible?:

2) Send an audio track from my DAW to USB 1/2 (stereo) and another DAW track to USB 3/4
3) Plug my headphones into the 2nd headphone jack (3/4) and then on the ADI-2 Pro FS interface, toggle between hearing USB 1/2 and 3/4 seamlessly so I can A/B compare the sound of the two stereo audio streams?

Should work, but:

Why not toggling the tracks in the DAW?
Route both tracks at the same output.
Switch one to mute.
Now you can toggle between both with the muted track’s solo button.

KaiS wrote:
Jperkins wrote:

Should work, but:

Why not toggling the tracks in the DAW?
Route both tracks at the same output.
Switch one to mute.
Now you can toggle between both with the muted track’s solo button.

Well, WaveLab Pro has a great feature that kind of does this for you. You can have a Reference Track in your session that you can solo and that Reference Track conveniently skips any master fader processing…so it’s a good place to put something you want to compare your work to without that reference material traveling through any plugin processing downstream in your session.

However, I also use Pro Tools and REAPER for certain things and they don’t have that feature so any Reference Tracks are in danger of going through master fader/bus processing.

That, and I’m used to the convenience I have in my main studio where I can A/B two sources with the press of a physical button vs. solo’ing/muting tracks and being cornered about plugins being in the path or not which can be a little clumsy. I like the clean and simple approach of using two (or more) stereo outs and doing the A/B on my monitor controller which for a mobile setup, is also the RME unit.