Topic: Expand output via ADAT with MIDI I/O and 8 additional audio inputs

Gear question:

What are some options to expand the audio inputs for my UCX (but could apply to any interface I guess) via ADAT

Plus

More MIDI in/out

Plenty of AD/DA options from the Behringer ADA8200 all the way up to high end options.

But I am almost thinking of adding a second UCX because of the much needed additional 2 MIDI in/outs.

BUT, would the MIDI data even pass through ADAT?

What are some other options, if any, that would allow for the additional MIDI in/outs?

In other words, how to add 2 additional MIDI in/out plus 8 additional audio inputs with the same box, preferably a 1U rack space...

Thanks for your suggestions!

2 (edited by vinark 2022-02-03 18:02:21)

Re: Expand output via ADAT with MIDI I/O and 8 additional audio inputs

If the new ucx is also connected to the computer midi will go in that way, there is no midi over adat nor is it needed. Midi goes in through usb to direcsound api and not asio, you can have as many midi devices as needed and your daw will see them all, no matter what asio driver is selected. I have about 20 inputs aver 8 different devices and the all work. Some are midi over usb for example my moog sub37 some are pure midi inputs like my midex 8. I have 2 RME devices with midi, plus a midi usb keyboard that also has an extra midi in and out. Oh and NI maschine. All work transparantly in cubase. Oh and I also use midi over lan with 4 ins and outs. And the system runs smooth, lickily midi is not a burdon...

But getting a cheap adat device and a cheap midi device might be cheaper then an UCX,

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2022-02-05 09:39:41)

You can add a 2nd UCX, clock sync them by making a digital connection (ADAT/SPDIF) or by using WC and use them in parallel.
In the DAW you would load the ASIO driver and have by this acces to both interfaces.
You only need to take care in the driver settings to always set the same ASIO buffersize for both UCX so that DAW tracks are without offset.

EDIT: But the big disadvantage of such a solution is, that
- you can't route channel between the two TM FX instances (one per interface)
- so you would need to route a few things in the DAW.
Ok, you can make an ADAT connection additionally between the UCX and route a few channels between them, but this is operational PITA (pain in the ass). This is limited to 8ch at single and only 4ch at double speed.

You might be able to add MIDI ports in a different way, but if you want to add 1-2 ADA8200 then the UCX will always be a limitation to you because it has only 1 ADAT port.

Therefore my advice:
1. sell the UCX, you will still get a good price for it.
2. Then buy a new recording interface that fully satisfies your current and future I/O demands.

By getting one of the newer / flagship interfaces you get besides better preamps and analog I/O also additional features like e.g. Autoset and DURec.

You can use my Excel comparison sheet to compare technical data and features from this blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct link to the Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

I would consider getting either UFX II or even the UFX+. Then you not only get MADI but also two different possibilities to connect to the PC, either USB3 or Thunderbolt. Even USB2 is possible (as 30ch interface like the UFX II).

The UFX II / + gives you a wide range of different I/O types and analog ports. You can add ADA8200 as you want (it has two ADAT ports, so you can connect two of them). Later you can even think of adding MADI devices (64ch at single speed, 32ch at double speed). The UFX II/+ have 2x MIDI I/O and also two very good headphones outputs (even more powerful than those from the UCX).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the info and particularly to ramses for the helpful spreadsheets -exactly what I needed

I'm glad if it helps you. If you still have questions, go ahead. Or just good luck and let us know what it has become in the end.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13