Topic: Newbie: multiple SPDIF over Toslink on UCX II?

Hi folks,

Please accept my apologies for this newbie question. It feels like a minefield getting started sometimes.

If you wanted to connect 4 devices all having SPDIF out on Toslink/coax to a UCX II, what would be the best way forward, please? I currently have one on copper and one on optical but was wondering if it was possible to get something that can get more onto the optical feed (presumably some converter of e.g. 4 x SPDIF in -> ADAT out).

Aside: I'm a little surprised soundcards generally only have one or two SPDIF inputs. Do people normally just use balanced lines and ignore the digital outs when there aren't ports? 've been avoiding that, as my equipment is 6m from the sound card.

Thank you!

Re: Newbie: multiple SPDIF over Toslink on UCX II?

Cheapest: TOSLINK Switcher 4:1, this one really supports 192 kHz in the Mk II version and has a remote and doesn't look to shaby: https://www.amazon.de/Oehlbach-XXL-HDMI … S9ANK?th=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, Ramses

If you wanted, say, 4 simultaneously... would that call for the digiface USB? And if so, does the USB introduce much latency if the audio were routed through the UCX II?

4 (edited by vinark 2022-02-03 22:04:03)

timrobertson100 wrote:

Hi folks,

Please accept my apologies for this newbie question. It feels like a minefield getting started sometimes.

Aside: I'm a little surprised soundcards generally only have one or two SPDIF inputs. Do people normally just use balanced lines and ignore the digital outs when there aren't ports? 've been avoiding that, as my equipment is 6m from the sound card.

Thank you!

Yes using analogue ins is 100% fine. SOS magazine called it, analogue the universal digital connection. You won`t loose anything, really!
And balanced is also not better, only needed for low level, low impedance signals, like mics with long cables. When something is wrong you will hear it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

timrobertson100 wrote:

If you wanted, say, 4 simultaneously... would that call for the digiface USB? And if so, does the USB introduce much latency if the audio were routed through the UCX II?

Yes, the Digiface USB can output 4 separate optical SPDIF signals.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you very much Jeff, Vinark and Ramses

7 (edited by hselters 2022-02-10 01:32:06)

I think you could feed a third SPIDF into the UCX II's AES input using an AES/EBU to SPDIF adapter cable, if those can be used simultaneously (are they showing up as different inputs in Total Mix input row?).

To get more into the UCX II you will need to convert from SPDIF to ADAT or Analogue.
Devices like Mutec MC-4 or z-Systems z-8.8a convert from SPDIF to ADAT I think.
Or maybe some RME ADI-8 can do AES to ADAT which should work for SPDIF signals too.

Otherwise yes, the Digiface USB has 4 SPDIF ins, but it is not a standalone converter. It needs to be connected to a host computer at all times.
There's also MOTU LP 32, but not sure if this can be used as a standalone converter or if it's more like the Digiface USB plus AVB and wordclock.