Topic: M-1610 pro - how much fan noise?

Hi,

I'd almost decided to go for the M-1610 when I suddenly read somewhere that the unit is fan equipped.

I have my gear in the recordingroom, often in reach from the recording position, will this be a problem when recording silent vocal or acoustic guitar parts?

Cheers,
Lars

Re: M-1610 pro - how much fan noise?

Hi Lars,

the M-1610 Pro has 3 fan profiles, one of which is "off". This means the fan will only start running in case the device gets too hot, otherwise it's turned off completely. In a usual studio environment, if the device has a little space around it, that should never happen.

Best regards
Marc

I see! That's awesome! Thanks!

Marc S wrote:

Hi Lars,

the M-1610 Pro has 3 fan profiles, one of which is "off". This means the fan will only start running in case the device gets too hot, otherwise it's turned off completely. In a usual studio environment, if the device has a little space around it, that should never happen.

Best regards
Marc

Hi Marc,

I understand you are involved in the development of the M 1610 pro.
I guess we all agree it would be desirable to be able to control the fan option directly at the device, not only via web interface. Will this be possible after a future firmware update?

BTW: after updating to firmware 2.2.0_v113 the start screen is empty but"gritty, noisy" during startup, I think this wasn't the case before the update? However, after startup everything seems to be normal so far.

Best,
Ulrich

Marc S wrote:

the M-1610 Pro has 3 fan profiles, one of which is "off". This means the fan will only start running in case the device gets too hot, otherwise it's turned off completely. In a usual studio environment, if the device has a little space around it, that should never happen

I have put my 1610 in the rack (portable rack case) and I am observing the temperature. Fan profile is "off". Processor temperature is rising continuously, currently approaching 70 degrees celsius.

At which temperature the fan should start working?

Under which circumstances would you decide to choose a different fan profile, other than "off"?

Is "off" always safe for the device?

Thanks for enlightenment!

Best,
Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

the fan will start at 70 degrees. Keep in mind the (highest) temperature reading is the FPGAs DIE temperature. The FPGA is spec'd for 85 degrees, so no need to worry.

If you want to improve heat dissipation, leave a little room around the devices, especially below the unit's bottom.

I'd only chose a different fan profile in either extreme environments (open air in the summer, direct sunlight) or where it just doesn't matter (separate machine room).

Best
Marc

Ulrich wrote:

BTW: after updating to firmware 2.2.0_v113 the start screen is empty but"gritty, noisy" during startup, I think this wasn't the case before the update? However, after startup everything seems to be normal so far.

This has been fixed in 2.3.0 beta 2 https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=183101