1 (edited by saichoomusic 2022-02-02 18:23:27)

Topic: Weird Playback Issue Babyface Pro

They say a picture is a thousand words or something so here's a video of the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra3qsY2fkdo I realised the music audio isn't loud enough and my voice is dominating but hopefully audible enough.

Anyway, for the text-minded people, I have this issue in Windows 10 where Output device "Speakers (RME Babyface Pro)" spits outs a garbled mess whereas changing it to "Analog 3+4 (RME Babyface Pro)" is fine. Curiously in my DAW, Reaper, AN 1+2, which I guess is equivalent to "Speakers (RME Babyface Pro)" is fine.

Anybody have any idea of what's going on? It seems like it's DAW related as prior to opening Reaper it was fine. I can live with the issue, if a little annoying.

EDIT: I found a workaround/solution. Changing the sample rate back and forth seems to resolve the issue.

EDIT 2: Now I find that AS 1/2 are outputting a weird noise whenever I playback something. Hmm.

Re: Weird Playback Issue Babyface Pro

Hello!

You could try setting Windows Sample rate to the same SR, as your BF Pro.
Also, how many WDM Devices are defined in the RME Driver Settings? Try setting it to "1" (this corresponds to AN1/2).
Another thing you could try is keep the RME Driver Settings Window open, and check for CRC errors!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

You could try setting Windows Sample rate to the same SR, as your BF Pro.
Also, how many WDM Devices are defined in the RME Driver Settings? Try setting it to "1" (this corresponds to AN1/2).
Another thing you could try is keep the RME Driver Settings Window open, and check for CRC errors!

Hello, thanks for the response. There were 6 devices in WDM and I've reduced it to two for now, although I might need more if I use OBS again. The issues seem to have resolved themselves via a restart. As for the RME Driver Settings Window, I don't recall seeing any errors reported but I'll keep this in my if it happens again. Thank you!

You 're welcome!

If this re-appears, if you enable more WDM Devices, you could try some basic system optimization for audio!
Like:
- Use Highest Performance mode in Windows
- Optimize for Background Tasks(Windows)
- Disable C-States in the BIOS
- De-activate the "Allow Windows to turn off this device" setting in the Usb Hub that you have the BF Pro, connected.(Device Manager)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

You 're welcome!

If this re-appears, if you enable more WDM Devices, you could try some basic system optimization for audio!
Like:
- Use Highest Performance mode in Windows
- Optimize for Background Tasks(Windows)
- Disable C-States in the BIOS
- De-activate the "Allow Windows to turn off this device" setting in the Usb Hub that you have the BF Pro, connected.(Device Manager)

Thanks! I think I've done all the other optimisations (from a Dante article) except the C-States in BIOS. For weird reasons I can't seem to access my BIOS at the moment but the PC still boots into windows. It seems like it's a video card error of some sort, as per the motherboard speaker beep (1 long 2 short, MSI motherboard). I occasionally had this issue with my Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen but since plugging in the Babyface Pro I get the beeps everytime.

6 (edited by ramses 2022-02-04 13:42:10)

Regarding your initial post.

Not 100% sure but ... as playback tempo sounds slowed down like playing a 45 U/min single at 33U/min with a turntable

it appears to me as if you work with different sample rates in Windows / DAW
or do you use the pitch control of the ASIO driver ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Regarding your initial post.

Not 100% sure but ... as playback tempo sounds slowed down like playing a 45 U/min single at 33U/min with a turntable

it appears to me as if you work with different sample rates in Windows / DAW
or do you use the pitch control of the ASIO driver ?

Haha.

The sample rates in both the DAW and Windows were the same 48Khz. The main thing I was doing was trying to find a click-free buffer size for a demanding Kontakt Instrument (Embertone Walker D full). I did not touch the pitch control of the ASIO driver.