1 (edited by Manuel 2022-01-22 17:59:20)

Topic: Too late but... UCX II front panel layout suggestions

- Encoder too close to LCD, fingers partially cover display as user operates knob.
- Gap between four buttons and LCD very wide but encoder awkwardly squeezed between display and right edge.
- UFX II, ADI-2 Pro FS R and other RME devices feature more visually pleasing front panel layouts.

(bottom image is a mock-up of a better layout)

https://i.vgy.me/uO7gyE.png

2 (edited by Manuel 2022-01-22 18:06:02)

Re: Too late but... UCX II front panel layout suggestions

Quick question, are these new glossy front panels scratch-proof like smartphone display glass?

No.

The display has a connector on the left side, you can not put the buttons more close. The ADI's display has that connector on the other side (watch the gap).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No.

The display has a connector on the left side, you can not put the buttons more close. The ADI's display has that connector on the other side (watch the gap).

I thought that might be the reason. Of course there is a lot of stuff physically packed into the UCX II and it's easy for me to throw together a mock-up, but still I'm curious if something like the image below might have been possible (just posting it to inspire future product designs). Buttons and knob all on the right-hand side of the display IMO look ok and eliminate the need for the hand "flying" over the display and back to press the buttons (assumes most users are right-handed). Of course this has zero effect on the device performance, but hey, the sexier it looks the better smile Peace

https://i.vgy.me/nQHavQ.png

Youll need an 19" canvas for your dreams.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

Youll need an 19" canvas for your dreams.

I don't think so:

https://i.vgy.me/e4iozA.png

The layout of this product's front panel looks much better and more balanced than the UCX II front panel. The various elements within the blue rectangle are horizontally evenly spaced. The knob is centered vertically. It looks better. It would be nice if there was a consistent aesthetic design language that's used across the board. I know this doesn't affect the quality of the product but since RME has manged to create some good looking front panels it's a bit disappointing that their latest device takes a step back.

If I can add also my suggesions for UCX III or other new interfaces: please reintroduce the on/off switch for mobile interfaces (like in the Madiface XT for example), it's much more safe to protect circuits when inserting the power plug and the power supply is already connected.

Also, the TFT display should be rotated 90 degrees (or maybe only the transparent polarization foil, if present). I have the same display on the UFX and the problem is the same: horizontally the contrast changes so gray and low contrast lines are seen different with the two eyes. Rotating the head of 90 degrees all would look perfect.
Just my 2 cents :-)