Topic: SFP module for MADI I/O
I'm interested to learn more about the SFP modules which now replace the MADI optical interface on some of the latest RME devices. In my case it's a M-1610 Pro, and I need to connect it to an Octamix XTC, or to a MADIface Pro, or others.
I know there is a RME kit available for this purpose, but I want to understand:
- Is this a standard transceiver device, and which technical parameters are important for choosing the right transceiver in case the RME is not available?
- What are the differences in such transceivers?
- Are they already found at other places in audio, or is this a RME-only solution so far?
As far as I understand the RME SFP module comes with LC connector, while all my other RME devices use SC connectors. The RME SFP module comes with a LC-SC patch cable and a SC-SC coupler.
- Is there any signal degradation involved when using such a simple coupler?
- How many metres can I go with an SC cable connected with this coupler?
- Which seller in Germany do you recommend for such items in case I want some more choice (patch cables, couplers)?
Of course I would have preferred to see the SC connector on the latest devices - which reasons made RME abandoning the SC format?
Thanks for any input!