Topic: Can we get purple for the meter colour as well?

I know it's a silly thing but I would really like to see purple added to the available meter colour options as well. Many nice ones got added but purple would complete the colour option set for me. I hope this can be considered for a future update.

Re: Can we get purple for the meter colour as well?

I think, in theory, any color is possible, but hardware limits its possibility to put more variants, unless user agree to pay for a firmware with specific color requirement.....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

KraftCode wrote:

I know it's a silly thing but I would really like to see purple added to the available meter colour options as well. Many nice ones got added but purple would complete the colour option set for me. I hope this can be considered for a future update.

I agree! Purple please. Orange and red look almost the same anyway, so lets trade orange for purple. Make it so.

04gto wrote:
KraftCode wrote:

I agree! Purple please. Orange and red look almost the same anyway, so lets trade orange for purple. Make it so.

At the test firmware stage, the orange is more red, now less.....

I will not against purple, that is democracy, everyone can voice out what they want, let wait and see smile

How about black tongue

On a more serious note: some shade of brown could also be pretty.

6 (edited by KraftCode 2022-01-28 13:32:37)

Johannes AU wrote:

I think, in theory, any color is possible, but hardware limits its possibility to put more variants, unless user agree to pay for a firmware with specific color requirement.....

How much "memory" can one colour option possibly take up? Isn't it just a single line of code that specifies one extra colour HEX string?

At the moment Cyan is used on the State Overview for every Meter Color. To my opinion the overview would look better with the same changed color there.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

Yeah, and finally no one understands the meter anymore - as seen in the other thread already. To be useful the meter needs to show near full scale and over in different colors. Plus PCM and DSD in different ones. That is impossible already or highly compromised with the added fun colors in the Analyzer. The global meter screen will not suffer from this, guaranteed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-28 14:02:35)

MC wrote:

Yeah, and finally no one understands the meter anymore - as seen in the other thread already. To be useful the meter needs to show near full scale and over in different colors. Plus PCM and DSD in different ones. That is impossible already or highly compromised with the added fun colors in the Analyzer. The global meter screen will not suffer from this, guaranteed.

Lets wait and see, and MC response very fast smile

Yes, while most people (possible) use PCM, they forgot DSD meter color ... also the options for different presets ....

at firmware 66/47

MC wrote:

Additional display colors for the analyzer. Monochrome (black / white), orange and red. As usual the color is stored in the Setup, which makes it possible e.g. to recognize the selected EQ by the color of the analyzer from a distance (loaded via SETUP).

KraftCode wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

How much "memory" can one colour option possibly take up? Isn't it just a single line of code that specifies one extra colour HEX string?

I understand that, but if there are too many request/options of color, the selecting page will be endless...

MC wrote:

At the moment I'm mostly using Cyan as Meter Color because I prefer to have the same alternative color on every display.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

eleweit wrote:

How about black tongue

On a more serious note: some shade of brown could also be pretty.

AutoDark .... tongue

Wish no one ask for pink ....

13 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-28 15:13:42)

So many nice color schemes that don't match the only one available on my UCX II that is stacked on top of an ADI-2 DAC. smile

MC, any chance of adding color schemes to UCX II? big_smile

One thing I find difficult to understand about this matter, is that whilst if it was declaimed that “everyone ears are slightly different along with our brains recollection of sound,” everyone would nod their heads together in concert, wholly in agreement.

Yet it is equally true that “everyone’s eyes are different, and many perceive hues of colour quite differently, along with their brains recollection of them.”  Thus, distinguishing closely related areas of the spectrum, is very problematic for some.

Hence, ideal colour design parameters for recording and audio meters in particular, should necessarily confine the available choice to those which are most helpful and least problematic, to the widest number of people.

Standardisation in meter colouring across the entire audio equipment manufacturing industry, can only result in the wider benefit of them being more easily read and better understood.

Diversity in metering colour display, can only lead to complication, misunderstanding and explanatory difficulties when individuals seek expert assistance.

Choirs sing best, with homogeneous tonality, their voice as one, all happily chorusing, from an identical hymn sheet.

Sometimes, even when using the same music, problems can occur, as in the example below, involving an old pal from hereabouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eEIIB5hVy4

(Honestly compels me to admit I was intimately involved in the one of the most successful product launches in history. Involving a highly popular product that amazingly, featured over five million, customer configurable customisations. Such that in any single production year, it is highly unlikely that any two individuals would ever own an entirely identical product.)

So, believe me I totally comprehend and "get" why people find such customisations desirable and feel partly responsible, for creating such possibilities and expectations in the first place.

Irrespective of that, it is definitely the case some things in life, are best left standardised and I feel that in the recording industry and in the audio world in general, meter displays are an example of one such case.

Other, more rudimentary examples might be, traffic light colours, vehicles stop lights, indicators and their blink rate, and emergency exit signs colour. It is their essential importance and relevance to all, that requires them to be consistent.

Furthermore, as outlined in other posts, certain colours can trick our eyes and brains into over estimating or underestimating a level of measurement very easily indeed.

Do you really want to deliberately create the possibilities of such inherent distortion and misreading in an audio meter?

While we are at it, I'd like to have blue and yellow. And orange and amber are currently very similar; I could live without amber.

This will be a long thread... ;-)

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

CrispyChips wrote:

One thing I find difficult to understand about this matter, is that whilst if it was declaimed that “everyone ears are slightly different along with our brains recollection of sound,” everyone would nod their heads together in concert, wholly in agreement.

Yet it is equally true that “everyone’s eyes are different, and many perceive hues of colour quite differently, along with their brains recollection of them.”  Thus, distinguishing closely related areas of the spectrum, is very problematic for some.

Hence, ideal colour design parameters for recording and audio meters in particular, should necessarily confine the available choice to those which are most helpful and least problematic, to the widest number of people.

Standardisation in meter colouring across the entire audio equipment manufacturing industry, can only result in the wider benefit of them being more easily read and better understood.

Diversity in metering colour display, can only lead to complication, misunderstanding and explanatory difficulties when individuals seek expert assistance.

Choirs sing best, with homogeneous tonality, their voice as one, all happily chorusing, from an identical hymn sheet.

Sometimes, even when using the same music, problems can occur, as in the example below, involving an old pal from hereabouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eEIIB5hVy4

(Honestly compels me to admit I was intimately involved in the one of the most successful product launches in history. Involving a highly popular product that amazingly, featured over five million, customer configurable customisations. Such that in any single production year, it is highly unlikely that any two individuals would ever own an entirely identical product.)

So, believe me I totally comprehend and "get" why people find such customisations desirable and feel partly responsible, for creating such possibilities and expectations in the first place.

Irrespective of that, it is definitely the case some things in life, are best left standardised and I feel that in the recording industry and in the audio world in general, meter displays are an example of one such case.

Other, more rudimentary examples might be, traffic light colours, vehicles stop lights, indicators and their blink rate, and emergency exit signs colour. It is their essential importance and relevance to all, that requires them to be consistent.

Furthermore, as outlined in other posts, certain colours can trick our eyes and brains into over estimating or underestimating a level of measurement very easily indeed.

Do you really want to deliberately create the possibilities of such inherent distortion and misreading in an audio meter?

I don't think MC will change it, and I have no worries at all .....

Data wrote:

While we are at it, I'd like to have blue and yellow. And orange and amber are currently very similar; I could live without amber.

Apart from the RME blue logo and Emergency vehicle lighting (its function is to draw attention from everyone), blue moving or flashing lights is no good for human eyes ....

Data wrote:

Please kindly ignore this man. cool Amber is my current favorite ( to me it is like gold!) , followed my monochrome.

19 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-28 19:39:32)

CrispyChips wrote:

... SNIP BS...

If you actually cared about this you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.

Edit: You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't, but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.

Muffin wrote:
CrispyChips wrote:

... SNIP BS...

If you actually cared about this you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.

Edit: You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't, but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.

Please kindly be polite to member(s) who express their opinon.

21 (edited by ramses 2022-01-28 20:25:25)

Muffin wrote:
CrispyChips wrote:

... SNIP BS...

Please always nice and friendly, that would be very desirable.

And you should not directly dub everything as BS what you may not understand or perhaps simply misunderstood.

In any case, it would be very kind if you would observe some basic rules of politeness and mutual respect. You certainly wouldn't like it either if your remarks were simply belittled as BS. Many thanks upfront.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

22 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-28 21:05:14)

ramses wrote:
Muffin wrote:
CrispyChips wrote:

... SNIP BS...

Please always nice and friendly, that would be very desirable. If you do not understand something, then it can certainly be explained to you if you would ask politely.

In any case, that would be more desirable than dubbing the remarks of a forum member as BS, who has already made many valuable contributions in the past.

In any case, this would also greatly enhance your reputation here in the forum, if you would observe some basic rules of politeness and mutual respect. Thank you very much.

Is a condescending wall of text a sign of "observe[ing] some basic rules of politeness and mutual respect" when some members wants some extra color schemes for the ADI-2 DAC/Pro? I understood him perfectly fine.

So when are RME going to offer color schemes for various vision impairments for all their devices, is the question he did not asked at all, or ever. That is the most logical question to ask based upon his post, don't you agree?

We all make some posts we wish we haven't, including long time posters having made many valuable contributions in the past with a reputation to maintain. When that happens, and it will for all of us, we act accordingly afterwards. In theory, at least. I recently misread a post and got smacked down by MC, but I did not double down and whine about it, did I?

I admit after reading CrispyChips's post my first though was also: I'm not colorblind or otherwise impaired visually but I do wonder how others would perceive the colors. I'd think RME would have paid attention to that though, it's fairly common knowledge when it comes to creating any type of user interface.

So Muffin If I understand you correctly, you're saying the default colors are not ok ("So when are RME going to offer color schemes for various vision impairments")? Care to elaborate?

24 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-28 21:20:37)

eleweit wrote:

I admit after reading CrispyChips's post my first though was also: I'm not colorblind or otherwise impaired visually but I do wonder how others would perceive the colors. I'd think RME would have paid attention to that though, it's fairly common knowledge when it comes to creating any type of user interface.

So Muffin If I understand you correctly, you're saying the default colors are not ok ("So when are RME going to offer color schemes for various vision impairments")? Care to elaborate?

No, I did not say that, and I'm sorry if I come across like that as that was not my intention. In my opinion that is the gist of CrispyChips post, which would have far more credence he wrote it in another context. He quite simply did not like the various color schemes offered and looked for reasons against it, including medical ones.

That said, vision impairments is a real issue for many, and that includes not being able to read text in tiny fonts.

Quote: “If you actually cared about this you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.

Edit: You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't, but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.”

Thank you for your passionately held views, which I am of course, happy to address. The specifics of which I will focus upon later.

With complete respect, my experience and that of many record industry professionals with which I am acquainted; is that the design and manufacture of RME equipment, is absolutely exemplary in their respective class.

As a broad general point, I feel I should make it clear to those unacquainted with professional recording and audio systems; that as a rule of thumb; it is typically the case that extra cost, increasingly results in diminishing returns.

That overwhelmingly for most musicians, recording engineers and audio enthusiasts. When a certain point in the realm of genuinely high-quality products is reached, an extremely large amount is required to be spent to achieve a fairly minor improvement.

RME devices are extremely well thought out and very carefully considered in regard to every aspect of their design and function. Over the years I have enjoyed many opportunities to be addressed by colleagues who are regarded as the world’s top designers in their field.

As a matter of course, in order to stimulate designers in companies I have “an interest in”, we have at times enacted ingenious cutting edge plans, such as renting the late Elizabeth Taylors luxurious Los Angeles former home, for them to live and work in close together, in a powerfully stimulating environment.

Furthermore, rather than insisting top designers work day and night on the company’s products, we allow them a high degree of creative latitude. What this means is that they only spend 50% of their time on the company’s products and have 50% of their time entirely free to design, whatever their creative juices lead them to.

So, for example, there is a particular musical instrument manufacturer who makes a class leading, entirely innovative popular instrument, quite unlike anything before it, by one of our designers. It utilised ground braking electronics, delivering higher output than any other product and wider on-board equalisation to boot, through its class leading design.

The designer was interested in such musical instruments, and had the ability to pour his musical passions into creating a completely new instrument.

The design and construction of one massive research and development centre of ours was created so that throughout the complex, very wide corridors, drinks vending machines and water fountains coincided with extremely generous seating areas. So that individuals working in different divisions, on various aspects of the products design keep bumping into each other several times a day.

This encouraged them to talk and share together their particular issues and problems, and being thus aware, to form symbiotic relationships that work to a common purpose. Therefore designing out issues from the product prior to production, that would normally only raise their hoary heads when it was rather late in the day to anything about them.

So, the building complex was designed from the ground up to facilitate, accommodate and encourage, improved concepts in design. Not only that but simply the manner in which designers interface.

Most people think someone designs a product and it is manufactured according to that design. However, in reality a design is eventually passed to development engineers and production engineers and things can be changed a lot in the process.

Having everyone working closer together, being acutely aware of the problems that others are experiencing, enables a superior design to be formulated from, not only the start, but all the way through development and finally into production.

As you might gather, having “an interest” and involved with many of the world’s leading designers, I have learnt one thing.

It is to listen.

In doing so I have learnt what was in their minds, when they created world leading products.

It is truly fascinating to do so.

I take the view that they know their job far better than me, and whilst I strive to provide an environment in which they can excel.

It would be very silly to think I could tell them how do their job better.

In a way, my approach to this matter is the same as my approach to conducting.

People see the conductor as the master, whereas I see the conductor more as a servant.

It is a conductors role to create an environment in which everyone involved in the project senses and feels this is the best opportunity they have ever had in their entire life to perform. Enabling them to display and present their talents, at their very best.

The real beauty of this approach if I may say so, is that when everyone involved feels like this, they can and do on occasions, entirely surpass their own very highest estimations of themselves and their actual abilities. Performing at a level that supersedes what they believed themselves to be capable of. It makes for a great and memorable concert.

All I do is to provide a framework, an environment and the relationships of trust that develop from that, which encourage and stimulate a powerfully creative energy, to be outpoured.

Understanding that, understanding the admiration I have for RME designers, as well as the many designers I have personally been involved with.

Perhaps one can gain a more appropriate perspective, of how someone that tells such people their job, should be rightly viewed.

Now to focus upon your comments directly.

Quote: “you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.”

As is clearly outlined in my short introductory explanation, outlined above.

I find it best to listen to product designers and feel it would be foolish to have the temerity to presume to tell them their job.

There is a place to make suggestions but usually, far more and better can be gleaned where designers and manufacturers are concerned, by listening than talking. 

With all due respect, neither you or I am in a position to demand anything from RME and as a non personal point; in general, my experience with people that go around making such demands, is that they lack maturity.

Perhaps suffering from infantilism. Behaviour that worked successfully as a child with doting parents, but should have been dispensed with in teenage years, and never allowed to remain in adulthood. Childish outbursts are the result.

The notion that I have failed to take into account the fact that certain individuals suffer from visual impairment is clearly a patent falsehood.

Reading like listening is a highly beneficial exercise.

The second paragraph of my earlier post.

Quote: “everyone’s eyes are different, and many perceive hues of colour quite differently, along with their brains recollection of them.”  Thus, distinguishing closely related areas of the spectrum, is very problematic for some.”

I am arguing for industry leading standardisation in colour that work optimally for the majority of users.

Thus, even if someone’s vision was very seriously impaired, and for example they were unable to tell the difference between red and green, sat in their car, at traffic lights.

By having a standardised colour, utilised on critically important positions of an audio meter, as with traffic lights; seeing that positional area illuminated, the visually impaired user, would never the less readily comprehend, what that meant.

They could of course fully comprehend that from simply reading the helpfully included, excellently written instructional manual. Problem solved.

With respect, you don’t appear to have properly understood my earlier post.

Perhaps you didn’t actually read it?

Quote: “You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't.”

Again, with respect, this is a complete misrepresentation!

I have argued the merits of complete standardisation on all meters throughout the recording and audio equipment manufacturing industry.

Explaining in meticulous detail the manifold benefits that such standardisation could bring to all users. Both those with perfect visual acuity and those with impaired vision.

The third and fourth paragraphs of my earlier post.

Quote: “Hence, ideal colour design parameters for recording and audio meters in particular, should necessarily confine the available choice to those which are most helpful and least problematic, to the widest number of people.

Standardisation in meter colouring across the entire audio equipment manufacturing industry, can only result in the wider benefit of them being more easily read and better understood.”

Quote: “but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.”

With respect it is entirely delusional altogether to consider that any topic whatever discussed on the RME forum, traditionally a respectfully "low noise" forum, normally devoid of rudeness or hysterical comments, could get me worked up in any way whatever.

Elizabeth Taylor in a slip, possibly. Marilyn Monroe in a dress, possibly.

A discussion on any forum anywhere, not a chance!

True story, the late Tom Dowd, once painted over all the recording meters on their Large Format Recording Console at Atlantic Records.

The moral of that is, music is best experienced not by the eye, but rather, by the ear. So listening to the music is really what I would encourage you to do.

Adjust your volume with adequate headroom and forget about the meters for most of the time. It’s probably true to write that many individuals that would identify themselves as audio enthusiasts, obsess about entirely the wrong things.

I trust this polite reply will genuinely assist you, better explain my intent and I take this opportunity to wish you well, with all your future listening experiences.

Try reading before your respond, as it will far better inform, anything you write.

26 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-29 07:43:45)

Muffin,

Vision/Visual impairment ... one have the best eyes still can get lost and result in an accident while driving, flying or boating in fog.

Two persons share a bottle of coke at same place same temperature, they both said it taste good and perfect, they like it very much and have the same comment, but did they really tasted the same as another? said it is sweet but same degree of sweetness? not exctly in feelings.

Car manufacturers built millions of cars, but cannot make a car seat fits everyone. We need clothings to keep us warm, but still we need a tailor to alter something, not only need a piece of cloth. That said, different strokes for different folks.

Nothing fits everyone, but if fits the majority, it is not bad at all. The minorities are not ignored, but they need to voice out, otherwise no one knows, unless a mass survey held.

More examples can be listed, so make it short.

Bear in mind, let people talk and tell their experience if they have difficulties, no need to pull others in to strengthen your point(s), how can someone speak for you or others if he do not have any requirement or request to change something? and how someone know RME screen colors is not well thought? Try visual color test then you will know, the color test is to test whether you can separate colors, not ask someone to tell the pantone code.

Nothing harm if you quote a wall of text, but the six letters you edited are very impolite.

Recently we saw some childish outbursts, most from newer members, they are not happy and demand something, seems they do not know how to communicate with manner, I wish I can offer them some candies to calm them down a little bit.

Do not do to another what you would not like other to do to you. Try to put yourself in someone's shoes.

When new user(s) got their RME, some do not understand the manual or some tricks to operate it, they come and ask a broad question, we look even wider and ask them in return to narrow it down, or even tell them in a wider view, they got the answers and not coming back.

We will not scold them not saying "thank you" or "problem solved", because they might be busy, or busy at trying our recommendation step by step, experiece it slowly, or forget everything but enjoying the RME with smile.

This is the atmosphere I learnt and felt in past 7 months. And of course, appreciated it.

CrispyChips wrote:

Quote: “If you actually cared about this you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.

Edit: You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't, but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.”

Thank you for your passionately held views, which I am of course, happy to address. The specifics of which I will focus upon later.

With complete respect, my experience and that of many record industry professionals with which I am acquainted; is that the design and manufacture of RME equipment, is absolutely exemplary in their respective class.

As a broad general point, I feel I should make it clear to those unacquainted with professional recording and audio systems; that as a rule of thumb; it is typically the case that extra cost, increasingly results in diminishing returns.

That overwhelmingly for most musicians, recording engineers and audio enthusiasts. When a certain point in the realm of genuinely high-quality products is reached, an extremely large amount is required to be spent to achieve a fairly minor improvement.

RME devices are extremely well thought out and very carefully considered in regard to every aspect of their design and function. Over the years I have enjoyed many opportunities to be addressed by colleagues who are regarded as the world’s top designers in their field.

As a matter of course, in order to stimulate designers in companies I have “an interest in”, we have at times enacted ingenious cutting edge plans, such as renting the late Elizabeth Taylors luxurious Los Angeles former home, for them to live and work in close together, in a powerfully stimulating environment.

Furthermore, rather than insisting top designers work day and night on the company’s products, we allow them a high degree of creative latitude. What this means is that they only spend 50% of their time on the company’s products and have 50% of their time entirely free to design, whatever their creative juices lead them to.

So, for example, there is a particular musical instrument manufacturer who makes a class leading, entirely innovative popular instrument, quite unlike anything before it, by one of our designers. It utilised ground braking electronics, delivering higher output than any other product and wider on-board equalisation to boot, through its class leading design.

The designer was interested in such musical instruments, and had the ability to pour his musical passions into creating a completely new instrument.

The design and construction of one massive research and development centre of ours was created so that throughout the complex, very wide corridors, drinks vending machines and water fountains coincided with extremely generous seating areas. So that individuals working in different divisions, on various aspects of the products design keep bumping into each other several times a day.

This encouraged them to talk and share together their particular issues and problems, and being thus aware, to form symbiotic relationships that work to a common purpose. Therefore designing out issues from the product prior to production, that would normally only raise their hoary heads when it was rather late in the day to anything about them.

So, the building complex was designed from the ground up to facilitate, accommodate and encourage, improved concepts in design. Not only that but simply the manner in which designers interface.

Most people think someone designs a product and it is manufactured according to that design. However, in reality a design is eventually passed to development engineers and production engineers and things can be changed a lot in the process.

Having everyone working closer together, being acutely aware of the problems that others are experiencing, enables a superior design to be formulated from, not only the start, but all the way through development and finally into production.

As you might gather, having “an interest” and involved with many of the world’s leading designers, I have learnt one thing.

It is to listen.

In doing so I have learnt what was in their minds, when they created world leading products.

It is truly fascinating to do so.

I take the view that they know their job far better than me, and whilst I strive to provide an environment in which they can excel.

It would be very silly to think I could tell them how do their job better.

In a way, my approach to this matter is the same as my approach to conducting.

People see the conductor as the master, whereas I see the conductor more as a servant.

It is a conductors role to create an environment in which everyone involved in the project senses and feels this is the best opportunity they have ever had in their entire life to perform. Enabling them to display and present their talents, at their very best.

The real beauty of this approach if I may say so, is that when everyone involved feels like this, they can and do on occasions, entirely surpass their own very highest estimations of themselves and their actual abilities. Performing at a level that supersedes what they believed themselves to be capable of. It makes for a great and memorable concert.

All I do is to provide a framework, an environment and the relationships of trust that develop from that, which encourage and stimulate a powerfully creative energy, to be outpoured.

Understanding that, understanding the admiration I have for RME designers, as well as the many designers I have personally been involved with.

Perhaps one can gain a more appropriate perspective, of how someone that tells such people their job, should be rightly viewed.

Now to focus upon your comments directly.

Quote: “you should demand that RME offers color schemes scientifically designed for at least some common color vision impairments, which you don't.”

As is clearly outlined in my short introductory explanation, outlined above.

I find it best to listen to product designers and feel it would be foolish to have the temerity to presume to tell them their job.

There is a place to make suggestions but usually, far more and better can be gleaned where designers and manufacturers are concerned, by listening than talking. 

With all due respect, neither you or I am in a position to demand anything from RME and as a non personal point; in general, my experience with people that go around making such demands, is that they lack maturity.

Perhaps suffering from infantilism. Behaviour that worked successfully as a child with doting parents, but should have been dispensed with in teenage years, and never allowed to remain in adulthood. Childish outbursts are the result.

The notion that I have failed to take into account the fact that certain individuals suffer from visual impairment is clearly a patent falsehood.

Reading like listening is a highly beneficial exercise.

The second paragraph of my earlier post.

Quote: “everyone’s eyes are different, and many perceive hues of colour quite differently, along with their brains recollection of them.”  Thus, distinguishing closely related areas of the spectrum, is very problematic for some.”

I am arguing for industry leading standardisation in colour that work optimally for the majority of users.

Thus, even if someone’s vision was very seriously impaired, and for example they were unable to tell the difference between red and green, sat in their car, at traffic lights.

By having a standardised colour, utilised on critically important positions of an audio meter, as with traffic lights; seeing that positional area illuminated, the visually impaired user, would never the less readily comprehend, what that meant.

They could of course fully comprehend that from simply reading the helpfully included, excellently written instructional manual. Problem solved.

With respect, you don’t appear to have properly understood my earlier post.

Perhaps you didn’t actually read it?

Quote: “You should even demand that for all of RME devices with a screen, which you haven't.”

Again, with respect, this is a complete misrepresentation!

I have argued the merits of complete standardisation on all meters throughout the recording and audio equipment manufacturing industry.

Explaining in meticulous detail the manifold benefits that such standardisation could bring to all users. Both those with perfect visual acuity and those with impaired vision.

The third and fourth paragraphs of my earlier post.

Quote: “Hence, ideal colour design parameters for recording and audio meters in particular, should necessarily confine the available choice to those which are most helpful and least problematic, to the widest number of people.

Standardisation in meter colouring across the entire audio equipment manufacturing industry, can only result in the wider benefit of them being more easily read and better understood.”

Quote: “but some color schemes on ADI-2 gets your worked up.”

With respect it is entirely delusional altogether to consider that any topic whatever discussed on the RME forum, traditionally a respectfully "low noise" forum, normally devoid of rudeness or hysterical comments, could get me worked up in any way whatever.

Elizabeth Taylor in a slip, possibly. Marilyn Monroe in a dress, possibly.

A discussion on any forum anywhere, not a chance!

True story, the late Tom Dowd, once painted over all the recording meters on their Large Format Recording Console at Atlantic Records.

The moral of that is, music is best experienced not by the eye, but rather, by the ear. So listening to the music is really what I would encourage you to do.

Adjust your volume with adequate headroom and forget about the meters for most of the time. It’s probably true to write that many individuals that would identify themselves as audio enthusiasts, obsess about entirely the wrong things.

I trust this polite reply will genuinely assist you, better explain my intent and I take this opportunity to wish you well, with all your future listening experiences.

Try reading before your respond, as it will far better inform, anything you write.

Another meandering long winded wall of text post. Try writing succinct and to the point, before you post, and your posts might actually be worth the time reading them.

Hello,

All CrispyChip 's posts are worth the time reading them!
Accessing the forum through a phone is not the best practice, though. A computer screen is more comfortable!

What brought us, all, here in the first place is our love for RME, audio quality, admiration for excellent engineering and music!!
And we 're, all, good-willed toward each-other!
So, please be more polite!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

31 (edited by CrispyChips 2022-01-29 20:30:41)

Quote: “Another meandering long winded wall of text post. Try writing succinct and to the point, before you post, and your posts might actually be worth the time reading them.”

Thank you for your personal observations and unsolicited advice.

If you were hoping that your negative observations would inflame me, I am doomed to disappoint you, blessed as I am with goodwill to my fellow man.

Whilst it would be easy to do so, I have no wish whatever to highlight self-evident shortcomings of your own writing, and my feeling is, that you would find short, sharp, soundbite composition from me, far, far less to your liking.

In the city I hail from, we actively prepare future politicians for fierce adversarial debate. So, people that have gone on to become Presidents of the United States of America for example, would certainly be amongst those, I have had the privilege to assist, over the years.

My reason for mentioning that, is because there are certain rules that are normally observed in civilised, constructive debate, with which I am well accustomed.  One of them is that when an individual’s arguments collapse, descending into "ad hominem attacks". It is a red flag that they have no substantive argument left.

For those unfamiliar with the term “ad hominem attack”: “This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.”

Simply put, by not arguing the genuine merits of their case, instead, attacking the person whose viewpoint opposes theirs. They place themselves in a similar position to a sportsman or sportswoman, who chooses to tackle the opponent, rather than the ball that they should. It is in fact, a foul!

In debate, a sign they have no genuine argument to make.

Effectively throwing in the towel, with bad grace.

It is apparent from your earlier post, that the acuity of your eyesight is such that reading can at times be highly demanding for you.

As people get older, it is not uncommon for them to require reading glasses to see tiny print. This is true for individuals with good eyesight, as much as those whose sight is impaired.

Irregardless, I especially appreciate your explicitly clear admission. The definite indication that you don’t invest the time to bother with posts whose form fails to meet your singular preferences.

This appears to directly validate the plausible point, I proffered earlier.

Quote: “With respect, you don’t appear to have properly understood my earlier post.

Perhaps you didn’t actually read it?”

It would appear that a consistent element, regarding your personal requirements and needs, is that the world around, you must conform to your personal demands.

This appears to encompass audio devices whose designs you wish transformed to meet your preferences, and writing on forums that oppose your viewpoint, amongst those we know about.

But it is highly probable this unfortunate pattern, overflows into many areas of life and will inevitably and inexorably doom you to a great many disappointments, one of which, you will find directly below.

Here’s the thing, short and concise.

I can back up my viewpoint, with the scientific evidence you initially requested, and over one hundred years of broader, empirical and anecdotal evidence.

You?

None at all, as far as I can determine.

32 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-30 22:55:18)

Wow.

I have loosely followed this discussion of sorts in utter amazement.  As a person whose occupation involves a Universally accepted lighting standard, this entire matter seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Green is Good.  Yellow means "be careful", and Red means STOP, and Ohhh!  It goes far beyond that!

An Airport Runway with "Pink" edge lighting, and "Teal" centerline lights is no place I'd go, as I have no idea if it's even a runway! 

Standards People!!

I'm completely stunned by calls for something other.  I have never felt so self-important as to a call for a "change" so as to better suit my own little preferences.

The RME is fine. 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

My goodness. They added a bunch of colours and most aren't very useable so I ask for a purple and you go on a whole rant about feeling "self important". Sure the RME is fine but what's wrong with some extra colours people will actually use? No clue why a simple question leads to 30+ comments here.

34 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-30 23:25:39)

I see your point. It truly is all about me! So why not Green Brakelights on Automobiles.  That might be nice, and I wanted it, so who's to argue?

Blue Stoplights at roadway Intersections? ... so lovely   I wanted it so thus it shall be! 

It'd be a real hit!  (Literally)

Tip:  Standards matter.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

I see your point. It truly is all about me! So why not Green Brakelights on Automobiles.  That might be nice, and I wanted it, so who's to argue?

Blue Stoplights at roadway Intersections? ... so lovely   I wanted it so thus it shall be! 

It'd be a real hit!  (Literally)

Tip:  Standards matter.

Curt

I agree with you, Standards matter. Some things need a world while standard, such as cable color, navigation light ... lots of examples, you name it ...

However, some want a pink light at their living room is a personal taste... and that is freedom, but whether it is possible that RME offer such selection is another thing, there are more important things they have to handle (many products), making color option can be endless, no one knows years later who will hop in and ask for a new color .....

Enjoy the (Divine conversion) sound of the RME, select the color fits you most.... do not forget the first day we have the RME, we live with those colors available since new ... if new color came and you love it, it is a bonus!

KraftCode wrote:

My goodness. They added a bunch of colours and most aren't very useable so I ask for a purple and you go on a whole rant about feeling "self important". Sure the RME is fine but what's wrong with some extra colours people will actually use? No clue why a simple question leads to 30+ comments here.

KraftCode, you did nothing wrong, you can request. During a flight, the crew will ask you, coffee or tea? you can opt for hot water, but then you have to wait, could be the answer is no hot water, but a bottle of distilled water. smile

37 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-31 09:39:11)

All of this because someone does not like that the ADI-2 DAC/Pro has several colour schemes to chose among, and the arguments against adding more are silly as well as condescending.

the arguments against adding more are silly as well as condescending.

I completely agree. It is just a request to add a small cosmetic preference. It will not alter the device in any fundamental way. It certainly will not cause peoples heads to explode......oh wait.

39 (edited by ramses 2022-01-31 19:11:31)

It would probably be more practical to provide input fields for the three RGB values for 1-2 more custom colors,
instead of further discussing more and more wishes which only creates additional work to implement and to provide the images.

Then you can see it in an RGB viewer on the screen beforehand.

Three input fields and a preview window, because the color impression is certainly different than on the home computer screen.

Here you can experiment with RGB values: https://www.colorspire.com/rgb-color-wheel/

40 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-31 19:34:21)

ramses wrote:

It would probably be more practical to provide input fields for the three RGB values for 1-2 more custom colors,
instead of further discussing more and more wishes which only creates additional work to implement and to provide the images.

Three input fields and a preview window, because the color impression is certainly different than on the home computer screen.

Here you can experiment with RGB values: https://www.colorspire.com/rgb-color-wheel/

If it is possible, it is nice. When I look at the meters, wish I do not miss a color, there are 4 colors (could be more) at the screen (the vertical bars/markers, Dual horrizontal meters/markers, the tip with 2 colors) need to be set at that user-define set up. And the LCD Tint Contrast variable will change how the color interprets in our brain how it looks when all colors appears at the screen at the same time.....

41 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-31 21:08:17)

ramses wrote:

For that to work you'll have to enter RGB for a number of GUI elements, which is very easy to see by using the GUI. My guess that is the reason why RME only offers colour schemes as otherwise it would probably give support headaches due to colour misconfiguration (yellow text font on yellow background, as a trivial example).

And why this concern for the work load of RME? I've seen this several times on this forum when people are suggesting features they want, and I find it a bit strange as RME is a commercial company. RME listens to their user/customers and they are quite capable to decide on their own what to implement.

42 (edited by ramses 2022-01-31 21:51:07)

Sorry, how could I forget, "display colors" are the most important things and nobody is waiting for other potentially more important things wink

BTW .. these "display colors" are in fact "Meter Colors" which do not impact the setup screens.

My proposal only to prevent further discussions about which important meter colors are still missing.

OP wrote meter color, which is correct, and "meter color" selection also at the menu... meter means the horrizontal meter (single or dual) and the spectrum analyzer, the other display remain unchange with 3 new colors since firmware 47..... so do not mess up with "a color text font on a same color background" ....

Quote: “Sure the RME is fine but what's wrong with some extra colours people will actually use?”

Allow me to enlighten you, beginning, by categorically declaiming that it makes no difference whatever to me, what colours are desired, included or used by anyone. Clearly, some have not understood that elementary point. Alas.

Such a vivid range of colour choice, definitely will make a difference to YOU, if it’s what you want. But as will become clear, some things we want, just aren’t good for us. Even if RME included them, which they wisely have stated they won’t.

We understand and interpret life, multi-modally, derived from the function of our senses, processed within our brain. The brain, not only processes such input, but also actively prioritises the relative importance, it assigns to differing stimuli.

Cynosure prioritisation of particular senses, inevitably involves temporal suppression of other senses. Whilst sound involves specific areas of the brain. Music encompasses many different areas of the brain, enacting simultaneously.

A chain of neural processing stations from the ear and auditory nerve, form a pathway to the highest hierarchical level, the auditory cortex.  Differing facets of musical sound on that path, are processed simultaneously. Front, back, top, bottom, inside and outside, by almost every part of the brain.

This is how music can awaken emotions in people with Alzheimer’s. Gain in one, pitch in another, rhythm in another, beat in another, tempo in another. All brought together in that cortex where deeply and profoundly moved, we fully experience the emotional power, of beauteously expressed, memorable music.

By nature, we possess an instinctive proclivity to accommodate dominant influence to the presence of strong visual stimulus, over all other senses.

As music is processed, involving many differing areas of the brain. As a natural function of prioritisation under such circumstance, it is understandably susceptible to increasing suppression and reduction, resulting from visual stimulus.

Thus, any preoccupation with visual theatrics likely to excite and stimulate via the eye, will accordingly to some degree, negatively affect the brain’s ability to optimally appreciate, musical stimulus, singularly for itself. Albeit in a seamless manner we are principally, totally unconscious of, absorbed elsewhere as we are, with vivid, dancing, light.

You are standing with a friend talking, but become aware they are not taking in what you are saying. They gaze into the middle distance and you perceive that their mind is fully concentrating, such that signals they normally receive from other sensory channels, are actively suppressed. A sensory overload protection.

You are hard at work physically. Its demanding and you are focussing strongly on what you are doing. Later, you undress for a shower, and find a large bruise or a long cut covered in dried blood. Your concentration was elsewhere, such that your brain, subconsciously suppressed both pain and your awareness of it.

The delight, attention and preoccupation with vividly eye-catching colours we all enjoy, thus negatively detracts and reduces the totally optimised appreciation of auditory stimulus in music, we identify as paramount, and claim to seek.

We will physiologically fail to be capable of completely absorbing and appreciating, absolutely optimally, the full pleasurable experience available in music. As visual stimulus exerts predominance, gains attention and increases dependence, progressively attributing greater significance to their importance.

Its why performers get away with live performances that wouldn’t make a C.D.

That is my point, my whole point, and nothing but my point.

Twice as many red sensitive cones exist in the eye than any other hew in the spectrum of colour. Its nature’s powerful danger warning. Purple is a cardinal colour, red’s close relative. Extremely vivid indeed. Drawing attention to itself.

Operating theatres, architect’s studios and drawing offices, are overwhelmingly and by tradition, painted with “cool” colours that calm the soul, known to have a quietening effect, actively promoting concentration.

These are conceptual aspects of design, and we can incorporate good aspects of design that augment us, or poor aspects of design that diminish us.

With respect, there’s nothing silly or condescending about this, apart from imagining such matters, to be silly or condescending.

Nothing to demand or be angry about, other than rudeness and intolerance towards views, different from one’s own.

So, trust this successfully answer’s, your perfectly reasonable question.

Best design, follows best science and engineering.

I wish every one of you well.

CrispyChips wrote:

Such a vivid range of colour choice, definitely will make a difference to YOU, if it’s what you want. But as will become clear, some things we want, just aren’t good for us

Firstly I want to thank you for your elaborate posts which can be a joy to read. But elaborate or not, and despite your point roughly being valid an sich, you're missing few points here and as a result your explanation regarding viual and auditory systems continues to miss those point. Couple of things:
- by your explanation, the meters/bode plot distract from the music and lead to a suboptimal experience. Indeed they do, but by that logic they shouldn't be there to begin with. Which luckily the ADI has a mode for. And so do humans: close your eyes. Which then yields any further discussion about color fairly meaningless.
- likewise you could try to prove purple would objectively be worse i.e. more distracting than e.g. white, but no matter what color it is, far more important is that it the image is constantly moving and that is what creates the real distraction here. Not the color. Sure the brain might associate purple with something else than white, but association between things which move and danger are just so much stronger, because things which move can kill you, no matter what color they are.
- last but not least: you start from the premise people only use a DAC for listening to music and that they want to do that optimally at all times. That's just way too limiting of a definition; it might be so that it's all you and other people use the ADI for, but not everyone. From personal experience, and I'd be very suprised if I'm alone with that:

- online meetings are a huge thing these days, when I'm not very invested in what's being presented then the meters provide a welcome distraction and the spectrum makes it fun to see the differences between several voices. So yes obviously that distracts me from what's being said, but the whole point is I want it to, at that point.
- some people use music in the background when working on other things. That's already a suboptimal form of listening, it's not even actively listening, so if they want that to be accompagnied by the soothing movement of a power spectrum plot then who are we to tell them what color they must use for that?
- people have preferences and people are different. If people prefer a certain color for things, then no matter whether the general public on average might associate that color with something, for certain individuals that association just doesn't matter and/or they give it their own meaning. Moreover associations vary wildly across cultures.

Twice as many red sensitive cones exist in the eye than any other hew in the spectrum of colour. Its nature’s powerful danger warning.

Quoted separately because this is very misleading. The cones you talk about aren't even most sensitive to red, but actually more in the yellow spectrum (yes I know the names are often taught like that in schools, but it's wrong, and in literature the rods and and cones are hence referred to not by color names but rather wavelength like long/short). And last I read about it there are a couple of theories as to why there are usually more of those cones than the others, but nothing proven so far, and so no established link with danger. Moreover it's not because there are more cones, that the amplitude of the color in the final image received by higher level processing brain areas is also higher (could be, not sure, but one shouldn't take that as a fact without looking it up).

46 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-02-07 10:14:17)

Muffin wrote:

So many nice color schemes that don't match the only one available on my UCX II that is stacked on top of an ADI-2 DAC. smile

MC, any chance of adding color schemes to UCX II? big_smile

Im using plain old green coulour scheme for ADI-2 dac which is on top of my UCXII. Standalone, amber is nice!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_