1 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-07 16:47:28)

Topic: AKM is back, new product announced

May be you will find the information of it interesting. smile

https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/ … ak4490req/

https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/ … ak4493seq/

https://www.akm.com/global/en/products/ … /ak4191eq/

https://www.akm.com/global/en/about-us/ … lvetsound/

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

2 (edited by ning 2022-02-07 17:21:32)

Re: AKM is back, new product announced

It’s just the same previous product, manufactured in another Japanese company(Renesas)‘s fab.
Should be identical to the previous products.
It may mitigate the chip shortage crisis a bit.

Will AKM chip back to ADI-2 DAC?? (I have ESS version and I'm happy with it)

Did the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ever change chips? I'm about to order a 2nd one but I guess it would be good to know that it won't be made with a different chip than the original design.

5 (edited by ramses 2022-02-08 18:09:28)

Jperkins wrote:

Did the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ever change chips? I'm about to order a 2nd one but I guess it would be good to know that it won't be made with a different chip than the original design.

When following a discussion on audioscience review D/A conversion itself is not that critical, all DAC chips will do
and more or less differ only a little in terms of SNR, different features etc.

But even some little dB SNR more or less alter the sound in any way. We know this already from ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS / non-FS versions. Not everything which is measureable is also audible as the measured values are already beyond the hearing capabilities of ears.

The DAC chip all do (or should do) only a transparent conversion from digital to analog, no "signature" sound.

Regarding ADI-2 DAC FS AKM vs ESS. Very few differences of these two DAC chips could be fixed.
Most D/A filter from AKM could be migrated to ESS.
Some  headroom over 0dBFS which the AKM had integrated had been taken from the little higher SNR of the ESS.
From what I read I have the perception, that both chips should "behave" the same.

BTW in the HiFi high-end scene the Oppo BluRay Player with ESS D/A converter were really beloved.
Since a few years Oppo doesn't manufacture BlueRay player anymore, at least not such high-end models.
For that reason the prices on used marked became very high for used devices.
I want to mention this to you so that you can see that ESS has also a very good name / reputation, it's not 2nd choice.

Oppo UDP-205: price in 2018: $1300
And now you see even ridiculous high prices for products from US or Japan on eBay from €3000 - €7600, absolutely crazy.

What I do ... got the UDP-203 for around €750 and let the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE do the D/A conversion
Either: UDP-203---HDMI---TV----ADAT---ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
Or:      UDP-203--------------------ADAT---ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
SACD is not of interest to me (sadly not possible over ADAT for copyright reasons).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure if the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE specifically ever had to change chips due to the shortage, or if it was just the ADI-2 DAC FS.

I'm sure any changes would be very minor but if the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE does have two different variations out there now, it'd be good to know how to determine which one I have and which one I would be buying if I add a 2nd one.

7 (edited by ramses 2022-02-08 18:22:43)

Jperkins wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure if the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE specifically ever had to change chips due to the shortage, or if it was just the ADI-2 DAC FS.

I'm sure any changes would be very minor but if the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE does have two different variations out there now, it'd be good to know how to determine which one I have and which one I would be buying if I add a 2nd one.

Sorry don't know whether production changed. But its logic, that you will be able to recognize it by checking, which D/A filter are available, same thing as with the ADI-2 DAC, see:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p165706

ESS has "brickwall" D/A filter instead of AKM's "SD LD" and vice versa.

https://uc4f3ccc0742c436da05cb432998.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/get/BfVCdIpZ7Ym_6vmkJyunbVyqGG59YjK3bqvyKxN7Fwzyp9ey0CX1R68XfI8CCwLehUohyzf2UvKf-BAjRH6E_iTZsAz3K6z-z3AenUP8N4qzkH_lABzOSMWi0fbhqUer9Q0HfFHwTqnHeQUES8nHNiJc/file?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by Jperkins 2022-02-08 18:24:50)

Thanks. Mine is showing "SD LD" here and no brickwall option.

We'll see what the new one says. Just ordered it.

MC already clarified that the Pro will not use ess. The ess migration is for the DAC only.
I guess RME sells way more DACs than Pros.
So the remaining AKM inventory will last for Pro till akm back to producing the chips again.

10 (edited by Jperkins 2022-02-08 18:53:03)

ning wrote:

MC already clarified that the Pro will not use ess. The ess migration is for the DAC only.
So the remaining AKM inventory will last for Pro till akm back to producing the chips again.

Good to know. I technically really only need the DAC for my mobile rig but the additional DAC path on the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE makes it worth it for me.

"The new ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition features the AK4493 chip" This is from the product page for PRO on the RME website.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Thanks for the info and sorry to hijack this thread. I had been meaning to take a dive into these details lately and this new thread seemed like a good place to get the latest info.

krzykacz wrote:

Will AKM chip back to ADI-2 DAC?? (I have ESS version and I'm happy with it)

As long as you have the ESS version dac and happy with it, nothing to care about smile [me too]

Happy_amateur wrote:

"The new ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition features the AK4493 chip" This is from the product page for PRO on the RME website.

The model number AK4493 looks the same but the announcement is AK4493S, I do not know if there are some small technical improvement inside, they offer preview shipment, that makes me feel like not 100% same as before.

15 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-09 07:22:03)

ning wrote:

Yes, it is a good decision to keep the Pro version spec. same for professional use.

And the return of AKM chips is a safe backup for pro market, for spare parts and warranty in case something bad happen.

Jperkins wrote:

Thanks for the info and sorry to hijack this thread. I had been meaning to take a dive into these details lately and this new thread seemed like a good place to get the latest info.

Not hijack at all, discussion are open, my post is kind of news or information available at AKM site.

But I do wish people do not demand anything from RME to change back from ESS to AKM for the DAC, or fight each other between ESS/AKM, that said, RME has the final word, and they are capable to make the products performs perfect.

Johannes AU wrote:
Jperkins wrote:

Not hijack at all, discussion are open, my post is kind of news or information available at AKM site.

But I do wish people do not demand anything from RME to change back from ESS to AKM for the DAC, or fight each other between ESS/AKM, that said, RME has the final word, and they are capable to make the products performs perfect.

Yes, I'm sure that whatever RME decides to release and put their name on, meets the specifications and performance they are happy with.

Johannes AU wrote:

You could add "AK4493 vs AK4493S" to your title.

###

AK4493S <-> AK4493SEQ: don't go crazy - stay realistic

Old AK4493 <-> AK4493EQ (marking code on the chip: AK4493EQ) are EOL (End Of Live).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … st-1082917

19 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-09 17:53:17)

weme wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

You could add "AK4493 vs AK4493S" to your title.

###

AK4493S <-> AK4493SEQ: don't go crazy - stay realistic

Old AK4493 <-> AK4493EQ (marking code on the chip: AK4493EQ) are EOL (End Of Live).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … st-1082917

The website contents at AKM links are clear enough. I am not in a position to say it is the same or not.

You read ASR already, MC did commented, he will see what is next. Guess RME will check and measure everything from the preview batch.