1 (edited by orlendo777 2022-02-10 16:13:16)

Topic: UFX+ no USB Connection to Host when conneted to Delock 89396

Hi

May I report an issue i am having with my RME UFX+ unit and ask for help or a hint to resolve this.

Computer
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.19041 Build 19041
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Z390 DESIGNARE
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

RME Components (Driver Version 0.9747)
RME UFX+ with Firmware TB 109, DSP 46, USB 54
RME Adi-2 Pro FS R BE with Firmware V.112

Issue
The RME UFX+ connected via USB does not show USB to Host Connection Led (Dark Blue) when conneted to the USB Adapter Card listed below ;(
UFX+ therfore is not available in Windows (Ableton), Total Mix is not Available and FireFace Settings cannot be shown.

USB Adapter
The USB Adapter is the Delock (89396) U3X4-PCIE4XE111.
USB Adapter Attached to a PCIe x4 - CPU attached - PCIe Slot.
The Adapter contains 4 x Fresco Logic FL1100 which is a RME recommendation.
Tested with Drivers from Windows 10 (included), and specific latest Fresco Logic Drivers 3.8.35514.0-Win10

Help appreciated
Any idea what could be the issue here?
Is there a way to make the UFX+ connect?

P.S. The RME Adi-2 Pro FS R BE, and various other devices connects without any issue.

Re: UFX+ no USB Connection to Host when conneted to Delock 89396

- Is the proper ASIO driver for USB installed?
     https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09747.zip
- Is the UFX+ set to interface mode "Auto" ? See also manual ch 33 (Setup->Options->Hardware/Diagnostics->Interface Mode)
      USB cable needs to be unplugged to be able to change the setting.
- Did you try all other USB 3 ports of your computer?
- Did you try another USB 3 cable?
- Did you try to connect the UFX+ to another computer?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by orlendo777 2022-02-10 16:28:02)

Thank you for the hints!

The UFX+ is in place since 2019 and was manly used on the Thunderbolt port.
Now i tried to rearange the connections - because of lot of Gear connected to the computer.

The UFX+ works when switching between connections to

• both of the Thunderbold Ports on the Mainboard PCH (via Startech TB3 to TB2 Adapter)

• all of the USB Host Connections of the PCH

• USB Host Connections on the Delock Adapter (90304) with only one Fresco Chip installed on a PCIe x1 Slot

... but it cannot connect on the card Delock (89396) that should also be supported with its 4 x FL1100

ASIO Driver Version 0.9747 installed
Tried Interface Modes USB, AUTO
The Cable is 1m and works to the other Connections listed above. But yes i will also try another cable...

Anything else i could try?

4 (edited by ramses 2022-02-10 10:29:35)

Thanks for the good troubleshooting information, you rarely see that.

The good news, the UFX+ works, otherwise it wouldn't work on the USB3 ports of the PCH and on the other USB3 card (90304) with only one FL1100 chip.

Then there seems to be some problems with the USB3 card from Delock (89396) with the 4x FL1100 chips.

Basically it would be enough to connect the UFX+ to a working USB3 port of the PCH or to the card with only one FL1100 chip and not to use the other ports there.

If you absolutely want to operate the UFX+ on the 4xFL1100 USB3 card, then you would have to find out whether it might be the card or whether the card might work better in another PCIe slot.

But be careful, make sure that the graphics card in the first x16 socket continues to run at x16 speed and that you are using a socket that is not shared with other components (eg M2).

I would contact the support of Gigabyte and Delock, maybe they have an idea.
Not sure if a BIOS update could fix this and I would be careful upgrading if everything else works.
Maybe they could point you to other drivers.
Usually the Fresco Logic drivers bundled with Windows 10 are well enough.
I use them as well for my Sonnet card with 4x FL1100 chips and all works fine and also with MSI (message signalled interrupts) which is the more efficient working interrupt processing model.

In terms of checking other cables. I think you validated the USB3 already by successfully using the UFX+ on another USB3 port. Additionally you can keep the driver settings window open when the UFX+ is successfully connected to a working USB3 port and watch the counters of the CRC check. If you have no CRC errors then you have no USB transport issues and you can regard the cable as working.

Nevertheless if you want to get a good working USB3 cable up to 3m, then I can recommend you the Lindy "Cromo Line" USB cables like this one here: https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters … ne-p11360. I am using the former version of those Lindy cables since long without any issues, they are very well shielded (x3) and the plugs sit very well on both sides.

Side note regarding "Latest ASIO Drivers installed": better use version numbers. This is not up to date anymore as soon as RME updates the driver and then it is not clear what version worked for you or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Oh my dear... i did some reading on Fresco FAQ's.
Fresco Logic recommends to connect the additional Power Supply that most Cards provide (and so does the Delock 89396)

Now with a connected SATA Power cord to the Delock 89396 the UFX+ does connect - Deep Blue Led smile

The CPU attached PCIe x4 at a first look also seems to reduce overall CPU Load on crowded Ableton Live Projects.

Everything is running now as desired.
Device Manager shows the RME UFX+ USB 3.0 under one of the 4 "Fresco Logic USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controllers".

Congrads that you solved it.
Interesting, my Sonnet card with 4x FL1100 didn't need that additional power:
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/lega … 3pcie.html

7 (edited by orlendo777 2022-02-10 21:04:03)

Shame on me for this one!
I first thought there was a limitation in the PEX PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch which is used on the Delock.
But in fact the UFX+ "does not move" and "is not seen" without that additional power connected.
Maybe the sonnettech allegro pro (shame that it is now legacy) distrubutes/provides USB Power from the pci connectors via pcb.
To me it remains unclear which component in the chain did not get it's desired power.

Btw. and just to show the limited situation on the "Desktop" CPU Plattforms (anno 2019/2020)

The 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors PCI Express lanes can be distributed like this:
Up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8+2x4 (16 CPU Lanes only!)

With the Gigabyte Designare Z390 Mainboard you could apply a 1x8+2x4 which is what i do.
In contrast to most Graphic Related PC Component Layouts i have decided to place the following components to the CPU lanes:

• Slot Nr. 1 PCIe x8: WD_BLACK™ AN1500 NVMe™ SSD to print audio data to and to load the project files from.

• Slot Nr. 2 PCIe x4: Graphic Card a MSI GeForce GT1030 2GH that in fact "lives with" and "only needs" PCIe 3.0 x4.

• Slot Nr. 3 PCIe x4: Delock 89396 PCI Express x4 USB 3.0 Quad Channel to connect the RME Devices (UFX+, ADI-2 Pro).

The PCH Lanes and I/O has another set of gear connected:

• PCIe x1 Slot Nr1. Yamaha Montage 6 Workstation on a Delock 90304 PCI Express Karte 4x USB Typ-A

• Intel Thunderbolt 3.0 - Ableton Push - with nice and fast responsibility.

• Intel Thunderbolt 3.0 - Presonus Faderport 2 as the Fader for every DAW channel. Fast and accurate as if it was all just a
    hardware console (but in fact it controls the DAW Volume and Panorama).

• System Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

• Additional Data Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Some other things...

In the future i might tend to change plattform to more available transfer and to PCIe 4.0 or 5.0.
But for now this setup provides more than i would ever need smile

With that "dumb" request its questionable to mention that i m using RME devices since 2003... started with the HDSP 9632 and got addicted.