Topic: Adding Reverb & Echo correctly to Vocal

Hey Guys,

I hope this question hasn't been asked for before, if so then please tell me.

I am quite new in the 'Homestudio Branch' so please don't deal too severely with me.

At the moment I am working with RME Fireface UCX, Logic Pro X, Shure SM7B and Apple.

My problem is that I want to add Reverb & Echo on my vocal I record in Logic.
I select FX Send, send it to my Software Playback, click 'Loopback' and everything is fine.
When I record and listen to it afterwards in the programme I also hear the instrumental with the same effects.
When I mute the instrumental in Logic, everything works.

Nevertheless there is probably a solution for that which I could not find yet with Tutorials or the User Guide. I want the instrumental to play on my headphones, record my voice and that the effect hast just been added to the voice, not all of the Hardware Inputs.

I hope someone can help me out with this and understands my problem.

Thank you so much in advance. Your support is highly appreciated!

Best regards

Marcus

2 (edited by ramses 2016-08-04 18:22:03)

Re: Adding Reverb & Echo correctly to Vocal

Although the FX section has been upgraded for quality last some time ago, the FX are usually only used
for the headphone mix at the RME recording interface.

The usual way is to record dry without effects and to use later the effects of your DAW, which might
have better quality (and by this are more CPU intensive). In the DAW you have lots of CPU power
compared to the recording device itself.

There are ways to record with FX section, but I wouldn't recommend it because its somehow stupid.

The usual way is to keep the flexibility to be able to keep a good dry record and then having the ability
to change reverb and parameters according changing demands.

Or shall you decide later to expand the song with more tracks, then you might get other ideas of
organizing the mix and offset in depth ("Tiefenstaffelung"). If you have no dry recordings, no chance !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The usual way is to record dry without effects and to use later the effects of your DAW, which might
have better quality (and by this are more CPU intensive). In the DAW you have lots of CPU power
compared to the recording device itself.

So that's why I'm not happy with the reverb in totalmix fx, it's because it's indeed bad isn't it? Not even good enough for monitoring I would say.

I'm used to monitoring myself singing with the reverb of a lexicon mx200. Is there a way to use the lexicon mx 200 somehow with my babyface old gen? I mean adding the lexicon reverb on my voice in my headphone but recording my dry voice in reaper ?

I use it it for tracking so record dry and have had no complaints so far. I’ll have to listen more intently. To be honest I was just happy it had this feature as most audio interfaces don’t.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

5 (edited by judelaw 2022-02-12 14:58:22)

Yes I guess it's ok, rme interfaces cost an arm and a kidney and are just barely more advanced than a 80€ interface. I should be cheering up.