Topic: Totalmix FX - iOs: No Reverb with Babyface Pro (FS)

Hi there,

I do have a Babyface Pro and one Babyface Pro FS.

While travelling, I would love to use it as a mixer in venues where there is no appropriate mixer.
Everything works perfectly fine with my iPad.

BUT the button to display the reverb / echo sections is missing.

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you very much for your answers,
Stefan.

Re: Totalmix FX - iOs: No Reverb with Babyface Pro (FS)

That’s odd. I just opened my iPad now to check and on the right side under the row with IN, PB and OUT it is there under IN. I haven’t been able to find a way to hide it either. Big round button with FX written on it.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Same here. But nothing happens when tapping the round FX button.

Normally, under "Show" there is "Trim Gains", "2Row", "Names" and "FX".

Tapping this FX button normally displays the controls for reverb and echo.

But in the iPad version with the Babyface Pro, the FX button is missing...

This is what I'm looking for:

https://share.r2d2.io/FX_Control.jpg

This is how it looks on my iPad:

https://share.r2d2.io/No_FX_Control.jpg

Does it look any different on your device?

Remember BBF Pro needs to be able to run bus powered so in the device is no full implementation of FX chip and dynamics is running in the driver.
Maybe this is only implemented when using a PC, but not with iPAD.
I would check the release notes for TM FX for iPAD.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ah can we confirm something. So are you using the TotalMix on your iPad with a pc/Mac and audio interface? That is my setup and when I click the fx button I then get your top picture. Is TotalMix on the Ipad actually synced and working so you can see the sliders on the computer TotalMix go up and down when you move on the iPad?

So what is your full setup when you do this?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I believe the eq and dynamics are run on the BF and the reverb and delay on the host. Otherwise zero delay monitoring would not work. The reverb and delay have a bufffersize latency, eq and comp none.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I might be wrong, but I think reverb/delay only works with asio-driver and thus not with an ipad in cc-mode.

From the manual:

21.6 Reverb and Echo

A click on FX in the View Options - Show brings up the Output FX panel. Here all parameters for the effects Reverb and Echo are adjusted.

The Babyface Pro uses a DSP engine within its FPGA for all the calculations of all the EQs and Low Cuts, in parallel to the TotalMix DSP mixing engine. However, Reverb and Echo are calcu- lated on the host CPU - the computer. On current computers, this will not cause any noticeable CPU load.

The transmission of the stereo signal FX Send to the computer and the effects signal FX Out back to the Babyface Pro is done by two invisible ASIO channels. The delay (latency) generated by this method is of no consequence for the offered effects reverb and echo. But it is still taken into account for the adjustment of the Reverb PreDelay. The lowest value depends on the cur- rently chosen buffer size (see Settings dialog, chapter 8.1).

You are right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for all your answers!

So this is the sad truth. No reverb in CC mode.

But ok, for the rare case of a gig without proper equipment, at the end of the day, the reverb isn't that important.
The actual room of the venue will have to do then :-)

One more thought on this:

Would it be possible to use a software reverb on the iPad and route this effect into Totalmix FX?

Yes, you could for example use audiobus to route things!

https://audiob.us/

Thank you so much!!!

That recommendation finally got me going :-)

I'm using FabFilter Pro-R now with Audiobus3.

With this setup, I have to use a separate instance of the plugin for every input channel, but it works perfectly fine :-)

Or is there a way to use the same instance of the reverb for several hardware inputs?

Nice! :-)

Yes, you can add more inputs to the same route. Add them by selecting the '+' on top or to the right (depending on iPad orientation) of the currently selected input.

Actually, I did NOT find a way to route my voice and guitar (plus other instruments) in Audiobus onto a bus and thus use a single reverb instance as a send effect.

In case anybody is looking for a similar solution:

AUM is doing the job perfectly fine - love it :-)

Yes, I should also have mentioned AUM, glad you found it!

Maybe we are talking about different things but in Audiobus, when you have choosen an input an extra +-sign shows up.

+  <== this!
[selected input] >>> [+] >>> [+]