Topic: BabyFace Pro to WA76

Hello everyone,

So I have an issue and I’ve been trying to figure it out and I just can’t find any information on it. I have a Babyface pro interface and a WA76 compressor. I’m trying to figure out the best way to connect them. I’m using a TLM 103 condenser mic, windows 10 and protools. I read about two different ways but not sure if they will even work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First scenario: mic > compressor > interface > PC
But someone said it won’t work due to not having a line level signal.

Second scenario: mic > Interface > compressor > back to interface > PC
But someone said there won’t be enough inputs left for monitors.

These two products are arriving in a couple days and I want to be ready when they show up. Thank you

Re: BabyFace Pro to WA76

Scenario 1 should be no problem. Babyface Pro has line level inputs.

3 (edited by vinark 2022-02-14 13:47:51)

Someone is right, the WA76 is not a mic preamp, so you will either have to do some hoop jumping with your babyface, I will explain how, or also buy a separate mic preamp. Here is a how to with your babyface.
Connect mic to input of babyface and set proper level and 48v if needed.
Now you will have to send the mic to the WA76 from tottalmixFX. You can send it to the XLR out or the headphones out. That is up to you and your needs. Process mic with your WA76 and connect the WA to a babyface input. You can use line3 or 4 for that or mic/xlr2.
That is it, but you need a pretty good understanding of TMFX for it and how you record in your daw. So watch lots of videos abaout TMFX and recording in your daw. The fact that you did not know the WA is not a mic preamp, makes me think you are at least with recording a relative beginner, so expect lots of fiddling and mistakes.
Once you really get it it is simple from then on, but in the beginning juggling all the ins and outs and the routing is difficult, unless you understand the logic, which is it is just a signal flow.
Another issue with the babyface is that with 4 ins and outs, it is not possible to have both monitor outs and headphones out (that is 4 already) at the same time and a spare out for the WA76.
Hope it all works out, and if you want a simple solution, get a mic preamp. Then it would be mic to mic pramp to WA76 to BF input (1, 2, 3 or 4) and no routing issues.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

4 (edited by KXNG iLLuSioN 2022-02-14 14:51:13)

vinark wrote:

Someone is right, the WA76 is not a mic preamp, so you will either have to do some hoop jumping with your babyface, I will explain how, or also buy a separate mic preamp. Here is a how to with your babyface.
Now you will have to send the mic to the WA76 from tottalmixFX. You can send it to the XLR out or the headphones out. That is up to you and your needs. Process mic with your WA76 and connect the WA to a babyface input. You can use line3 or 4 for that or mic/xlr2.
That is it, but you need a pretty good understanding of TMFX for it and how you record in your daw. So watch lots of videos abaout TMFX and recording in your daw. The fact that you did not know the WA is not a mic preamp, makes me think you are at least with recording a relative beginner, so expect lots of fiddling and mistakes.
Once you really get it it is simple from then on, but in the beginning juggling all the ins and outs and the routing is difficult, unless you understand the logic, which is it is just a signal flow.
Another issue with the babyface is that with 4 ins and outs, it is not possible to have both monitor outs and headphones out (that is 4 already) at the same time and a spare out for the WA76.
Hope it all works out, and if you want a simple solution, get a mic preamp. Then it would be mic to mic pramp to WA76 to BF input (1, 2, 3 or 4) and no routing issues.

Hey thank you for the reply. I knew the WA76 wasn’t a pre amp. I talked to someone at Sweet Water and he said I could plug it in straight to the compressor, so I was confused lol. Yea TotalMixFX has me kind of nervous but excited. So I can do this?

Mic > XLR input 1 on Babyface > Output from Babyface to Input on WA76 > Output from WA76 back to Input on Babyface then to the computer?

Separate question:

When I route from the WA76 back into the Babyface can I use The TRS 1/4 Output Jack on the WA76 to the 1/4 Input jack on the BF? Or does it have to be XLR from the the WA76?

I don’t use monitors as of now. Just Some DT 990 Pro 250ohms Headphones

Thank you

5 (edited by vinark 2022-02-14 14:51:11)

KXNG iLLuSioN wrote:
vinark wrote:

Hey thank you for the reply. I knew the WA76 wasn’t a pre amp. I talked to someone at Sweet Water and he said I could plug it in straight to the compressor, so I was confused lol. Yea TotalMixFX has me kind of nervous but excited. So I can do this?

Mic > XLR input 1 on Babyface > Output from Babyface to Input on WA76 > Output from WA76 back to Input on Babyface then to the computer?

Yes with headphones it is the easiest. Plug in mic in input 1, send mic signal to output 1 with TMFX, connect output 1 to WA76. return WA76 on input 2. Listen to input 2 with headphones out. You can record with and without compression in your DAw by selecting either input one or 2 for recording. Make sure you send your daw audio only to phones, otherwise it will also go through the compressor and set windows audio also the 3/4.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:
KXNG iLLuSioN wrote:
vinark wrote:

Yes with headphones it is the easiest. Plug in mic in input 1, send mic signal to output 1 with TMFX, connect output 1 to WA76. return WA76 on input 2. Listen to input 2 with headphones out. You can record with and without compression in your DAw by selecting either input one or 2 for recording. Make sure you send your daw audio only to phones, otherwise it will also go through the compressor and set windows audio also the 3/4.

Oh ok. Got you. Thank you!!

When I route from the WA76 back into the Babyface can I use The TRS 1/4 Output Jack on the WA76 to the 1/4 Input jack on the BF? Or does it have to be XLR from the the WA76?

7 (edited by vinark 2022-02-14 15:06:03)

Maybe, it depends how the WA handles unbalanced output, cause the babyface is TS not TRS. You will have to find out how to use the WA unbalanced. Some need a floating pin 2 (or ring) some shorted pin 2 and 3. If you use a TS cable it will be shorted (by the plug) and if a TRS cable floating since the ring (of trs) will be connected to nothing. Some devices need one of the 2 and some work with both, but this is not my expertise. The WA manual should explain it.

Edit:
The manual says use a TS cable. SO now you are ready!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Maybe, it depends how the WA handles unbalanced output, cause the babyface is TS not TRS. You will have to find out how to use the WA unbalanced. Some need a floating pin 2 (or ring) some shorted pin 2 and 3. If you use a TS cable it will be shorted (by the plug) and if a TRS cable floating since the ring (of trs) will be connected to nothing. Some devices need one of the 2 and some work with both, but this is not my expertise. The WA manual should explain it.

Edit:
The manual says use a TS cable. SO now you are ready!

Oh really? Nice. Not to sound completely like a noob lol but the manual for the WA says TS or the Babyface? Also does that mean I can use the 1/4 jacks instead of the XLRs

From the WA76 manual and yes you can use TS 1/4. Not TRS.
And you ask all the right questions, so not that noob!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

From the WA76 manual and yes you can use TS 1/4. Not TRS.
And you ask all the right questions, so not that noob!

Thank you, I truly appreciate that and all of your help!!!

My pleasure.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam