Topic: Toslinking Babyface Pro & Fireface 800

I own both Fireface 800, as well as babyface pro.

They are connected to different computers, but I thought, why not link them together in my main studio via toslink.
This will help me skip the firewire connection, If I use the babyface as the master.

If I do so I know I will loose 2 channels from the ff800, which supports only 8 channel via adat, but 8 channels + 4 channels from the bfpro is plenty for me (as long as I stay on the 48k sample rate.

My question is, how exactly do I do this?
Can I send 48v to the adat channels on the ff800? or the ff800 still needs to be connected via firewire.
How to set the clock, and tell the ff800 it's a slave from now on, if I don't plug it in?

If anyone out there has done this, I would love to hear your experience.

Here's some bg if you want to read more:
Both rme are working great, however I do have some conflict on my computer that I can't seem to resolve, blue screen with error message IRQL Not Equal Not Less.
I think it comes from either the firewire pci card, or my graphic card (only two non original components to my dell xps 8940).
So, I am taking the opportunity to bypass the firewire, which getting outdated more and more.

Would love some input.

Thanks,

Re: Toslinking Babyface Pro & Fireface 800

Hello!

You can do what you want by using the FF800 in Stand-Alone Mode!

Here's a quote from the "Features" section of the FF800 's page:

All settings including TotalMix are recalled during boot via flash memory. After making all desired settings, the device works stand-alone even without computer as a submixer, A/D and D/A-converter, headphone mixer, format converter, instrument or microphone pre-amplifier, monitoring mixer and much more

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/products … ce_800.php

You could have a look at Chapter 20, page 42 in the manual: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface800_e.pdf

About setting the FF800 as ADAT Slave, you can flash this configuration and it will be stored in the unit!
About phantom power, you can flash the whole TMFX state, as well, but I don't think you could turn +48V On or Off, at will.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632