Topic: HDSPe pci express firmware question

I have acquired an RME HDSPe pci express card with digiface. In the Hammefall settings 'global' tab it shows as “Digiface(1), SN=22833488, Revision=18”

I'm on a win10 desktop PC. I think the above means that the latest firmware is not installed, as that should show as Rev 20.

I have downloaded the flash tool update that goes with driver 4.29 (dated 07/12/2018), but after flashing the card it started malfunctioning - no adat sync anymore, and the driver started 'flickering' between standard windows driver and RME Hammerfall DSP driver multiple times per second. The digiface was not recognized or shown as multiface. Revision still showed 18, not 20. Note, I did not unplug the digiface while flashing the card.

After reflashing the older firmware dated 08/04/2011 (rev18) and some reboots the system works again *relieved*. Now wondering whether I should just leave things as they or whether I did something wrong and there is benefit in flashing to the latest firmware. Please advise.

Re: HDSPe pci express firmware question

Differences are mentioned in the FUT's readme.

DF/MF recoginition issues are usually caused by defective transceiver chips on either side. Sometimes a new cable helps, but usually those chips need to be replaced.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. I have read the readme files but there is no clear mentioning of the HDSPe pci-e version card anywhere. It is mentioned as “HDSPe pci” only, therefore I assumed the pci-e card would also be covered. It is still not clear to me, but I'll probably leave it as is. With the older firmware there is no MF/DF detection issue, so I guess I should stick with 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

There is clear mentioning of that card:

V 2.28:

- Update of the HDSPe PCI/ExpressCard to V 20. HDSPe PCI: TCO function improved. Both: PCIe Power Management changed

TCO is most probably not relevant, but changes in the Power Management solved boot issues (not detected at all) for many. Maybe your next computer then needs that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by vinark 2022-02-16 08:37:25)

vos_paul wrote:

Thanks. I have read the readme files but there is no clear mentioning of the HDSPe pci-e version card anywhere. It is mentioned as “HDSPe pci” only, therefore I assumed the pci-e card would also be covered. It is still not clear to me, but I'll probably leave it as is. With the older firmware there is no MF/DF detection issue, so I guess I should stick with 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

HDSPe PCI is the PCIe card HDSP PCI is the PCI card, HDSP and HDSPe have different fut downloads. But all HDSP(e) cards share the same driver.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thank you both! It is now fully clear to me. I was confused by the HDSP PCI vs HDSPe PCI. So thank you MC for clarifying the importance and to vinark for the naming conventions!

7 (edited by vos_paul 2022-02-16 23:20:20)

Just for reference, in case anyone else searches for the same issue, my particular combination of HDSPe pci (hardware version 1.1) and Digiface do not work with FUT 2.36 (rev20), but it works perfectly with FUT 2.23 (rev18).

I have reconfirmed it today; flashing the newer FUT updates to rev20 after disconnecting the card from the PCI slot, but no matter how many times I restart / disconnect and reconnect the fw400 cable, the digiface starts flashing midi leds (no midi signals present) and adat sync leds erratically as soon as the driver loads (at the exact time the hammer icon appears in the system tray). Digiface is intermittently recognized and the wdm driver loads intermittently with it.
After reflashing the old FUT everything returns to normal. So all is well for me, but it remains a bit of a mystery why this happens. As said - hope it can help others who enjoy these older cards that still perform great with low latency!

It appears to be the same issue as described here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=17846 on a mac with a multiface connected - so it appears to be a HDSPe pci quirk.

I explained the issue in post 2. Get the units repaired and firmware 20 will work as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I mean no disrespect, but I find it hard to understand why a hardware issue would only cause trouble with one particular firmware version but not with an older one - it is a night and day difference between both.

Do different firmware versions impose different hardware tolerance requirements for normal operation? That's the only reason I could think of.

Thank you again for your patience, I am truly trying to understand what's going on.

On correctly working transmitters all versions work, on broken ones some versions cause failure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Where to find older drivers and firmware for rme, I mean 2015.and older?

vos_paul wrote:

I have acquired an RME HDSPe pci express card with digiface. In the Hammefall settings 'global' tab it shows as “Digiface(1), SN=22833488, Revision=18”

I'm on a win10 desktop PC. I think the above means that the latest firmware is not installed, as that should show as Rev 20.

I have downloaded the flash tool update that goes with driver 4.29 (dated 07/12/2018), but after flashing the card it started malfunctioning - no adat sync anymore, and the driver started 'flickering' between standard windows driver and RME Hammerfall DSP driver multiple times per second. The digiface was not recognized or shown as multiface. Revision still showed 18, not 20. Note, I did not unplug the digiface while flashing the card.

After reflashing the older firmware dated 08/04/2011 (rev18) and some reboots the system works again *relieved*. Now wondering whether I should just leave things as they or whether I did something wrong and there is benefit in flashing to the latest firmware. Please advise.

frango wrote:

Where to find older drivers and firmware for rme, I mean 2015.and older?

It is here https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/download … /hdspe.php
Archive: Former driver platform

details:
Flash Update Tool. Updates HDSPe MADI card to firmware version 29, HDSPe PCI and HDSPe ExpressCard card to 18, RayDAT to 12, AES to 8, MADIface to 11, AIO to 12.

08/04/2011    fut_win_mf_11.zip

This is the firmware version that works 100% for me. My card does not work with the newest firmware (MC indicated a repair will fix this, but so far it doesn't make financial sense for me).

Hello guys (my 1st post here, came here through web search),

I recently bought a second hand HDSPe PCI (PCI-e!) Host adapter Rev. 1.1 and I had the same issues. I flashed Revision 18 onto that card (from file fut_win_mf_11.zip) and it does work well with my DSP Multiface II.
It does NOT work with Revision 20 having flashed - which it came with. My MF2 would just crackle and have flashing LED lights, like real malfunction.

I thought maybe Rev 20 is meant to work with Digiface or RPM only, but not sure. Didn't expect the card being fault - MC, I read your posts.
But since Rev 18 works, it's ok for me.

Best regards,
jd