Topic: Decibel Level

Hello everyone.

Is there a way to tell what decibel level one is listening to with the ADI-2? In other words, by doing some kind calculations between L/R dB meter with the VOL dB volume.

I hope the question is clear. Simply put, I want to find a way to not listen above 80 dB.

Thanks.

Re: Decibel Level

This is not a mtter of the converter, but of your amplifier and speakers. The ADI can not show you actual analog listening levels...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Apple has started doing this with iPhones, but maybe it's easier for them to predict if you're using their AirPods vs. random wired headphones.

OK- I see. Thank you.

RME Support wrote:

This is not a mtter of the converter, but of your amplifier and speakers. The ADI can not show you actual analog listening levels...

Yes, my Airpod pro can tell me the listening dB level. Just thought maybe the ADI can do it somehow with that cool meter.

Jperkins wrote:

Apple has started doing this with iPhones, but maybe it's easier for them to predict if you're using their AirPods vs. random wired headphones.

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-17 16:39:24)

Calculating the “ear-safe” listening level from ADI-2’s settings and the headphones spec’ed sensitivity is not possible.

Besides lot of other uncertainties:
The measuring method for Noise Exposure largely differs from straight, one value dB SPL.

Noise Exposure is measured as Long Term Average of the A-weighted RMS value.

All values you have at hand are Momentary Unweighted Peak values, or single frequency figures only - not usable.
And the music tracks vary too.

I can suggest to set your listening level in a way that the vocal in the music is about the same like normal talking.

For precise listening level you need to know your speaker/headphone's FR curve, combine that with your DSP FR response, and add A/C weighting filter, and do finally do RMS computation. This is just too much work and not possible on RME.

If you just don't care about precision, why not use headphone power calculator so you can quickly estimate upper limit of your volume position. Never turn it above that limit.

or, if you want something fancy, why not installing a calibrated mic (or just use an iPhone App) to measure it realtime when you are listening, and using software to automatically attenuate/stop music when it reaches certain level?

Last but not least.... Life is short, just enjoy your music. All great musicians suffer from hearing loss. No big deal:-)

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-17 20:43:07)

ning wrote:

... know your speaker/headphone's FR curve, combine that with your DSP FR response, and add A/C weighting filter, and do finally do RMS computation.
why not use headphone power calculator
installing a calibrated mic (or just use an iPhone App) to measure it realtime when you are listening,

Although your proposals seem to make sense in the first read, they wouldn’t work, as Noise Exposure is measured completely differently.
Peak level and such are NOT the decisive parameters.

A certified Noise Dosimeter (NOT a Sound Level Meter) is the way to go.
These are not too expensive.

The iPhone App AudioTools contains one:
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/audiotools/id325307477