Topic: UFX+ 20m USB 3 optical cable connection to computer ?

I apologise for the long post. The question is whether anyone has experience with a long USB 3 cable between a Windows PC and a UFX+. Corning and others offer a 30m or longer USB 3 optical cable. See for example https://www.corning.com/optical-cables- … bles.html.

Background:
I use the UFX+ for home audio listening. The setup includes a digital crossover between main speakers and subs, and digital room correction with convolver software running on a windows computer connected to the UFX+ by Thunderbolt cable. The source material is music playback from the PC and also from the AES/SPDIF input to the UFX+. The windows computer is distant from the UFX+ in my listening room.

Currently, the UFX+ is connected to the computer by a 20m long Corning Thunderbolt cable. It works well. The problem is that I am limited to computer motherboards offering Thunderbolt.

I want to upgrade the computer to a current generation workstation motherboard that accepts a Xeon processor and ECC memory.  Thunderbolt is available on current generation "gaming" motherboards, but not on workstation motherboards more recent than the Asus Pro WS W480-ACE. Supermicro, for example, does not include Thunderbolt on current generation motherboards. The USB 3 connection would free me from reliance on Thunderbolt.

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Re: UFX+ 20m USB 3 optical cable connection to computer ?

I have that Corning cable in use - works well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC. Another question: the UFX+ has a USB 3b female receptacle. The Corning optical cable is USB A male. Do you have a suggestion for a USB 3A (Female) to USB 3B (male) connector?

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

One just plugs a short USB 3 cable into the end of the Corning, to the UFX+.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Labdoc 2022-02-19 23:37:37)

Thanks again. When I asked the question, I had identified the wrong Corning cable. Today, I found the correct one. I was able to order a new-old stock item on eBay for a good discount. I look forware to trying it out!

I'm extremely disappointed with these Corning optical cables.  I've spent a fortune on the Thunderbolt versions and they have all failed after about a years use.
I hope they've improved since then.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I had the same issues with my corning cable (for USB).
Luckily, I paid using PayPal so that I could still give it back to the Portuguese seller.
Corning in Germany sadly doesn't give you any support for goods purchased in an EU country.
The problem was, I had to buy in Portugal because those cables were nowhere available in Germany.

I am having no issues with the USB3 extensions from StarTech, it is also USB2 compatible.
Therefore, I am using two of those for UFX III and for ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

More information about the StarTech cable here.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 71#p210971

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13