1 (edited by Admire 2022-02-03 00:10:57)

Topic: Driving over-ear headphones via IEM out?

My intro:
I am new to the impressing RME ADI-2-DAC FS. It drives my AKG K812 headphones and a pair of ME Geithain active speakers for about a week now. Sources are mostly Raspberry PI 4 (Volumio OS) via USB, a BluRay player for those last CDs via coax and a TV-set via optical input. So nearly all ins and outs in good use.

I find the overall experience of this setup so satisfying that I will drop all my former €€.€€€ 'audiophile' HiFi stuff. It's just not necessary anymore :-)

My question:
Is there any reason why I should NOT connect my over-ear headphones to the DAC's IEM out? The reason for this idea is simply comfort: The AKGs have a 3.5mm 'mini' jack by default which has to be adapted to 6.35mm phone plug. I use these phones also with my mobile phone and would love to safe mounting and dismounting the adapter.

I do not find anything about this idea in the manual.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-03 06:55:47)

Re: Driving over-ear headphones via IEM out?

If you don’t run out of power you have a perfect match.

If you Volume setting is below 0 dB you’re perfectly fine.

3 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-03 06:48:17)

KaiS wrote:

If you Volume setting is below 0 dBr (Auto Reference Level = On) you’re perfectly fine.

KaiS, phones output cannot set auto ref to on.. it was disabled (at my DAC it is). But you are right, if the op can drive his AKG loud enough below 0dB, he is perfectly fine.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Johannes AU wrote:
KaiS wrote:

If you Volume setting is below 0 dBr (Auto Reference Level = On) you’re perfectly fine.

KaiS, phones output cannot set auto ref to on.. it was disabled (at my DAC it is). But you are right, if the op can drive his AKG loud enough below 0dB, he is perfectly fine.

Thanx, I have the “Pro” only, so I edited my posting accordingly.

Good news within short time! Thank you so much

Admire wrote:

Good news within short time! Thank you so much

You are welcome smile

AKG K812 you use is 36Ω impedance, I am using Austrian Audio Hi-X55, 25Ω, I use 3.5 connect to IEM output, the level I set is about -40dB to -25dB depends on the music level.

I just tried this (I also use the K812); dBr is around 30 higher via IEM for similar volume. It works well, but it seems to influence Loudness (?). If I remember correctly, Loudness becomes active somewhere in the -20s of dBr with increasing effect as you go lower.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

8 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-03 17:34:06)

Data wrote:

I just tried this (I also use the K812); dBr is around 30 higher via IEM for similar volume. It works well, but it seems to influence Loudness (?). If I remember correctly, Loudness becomes active somewhere in the -20s of dBr with increasing effect as you go lower.

You can switch "Loudness" on/off, and you also can adjust the "Low Level Ref." value, from -20dB to --90dB, which is more than enough. (Dac version as mine)

Enjoy the K812, I also want it, but price is a bit dear for me.

Data wrote:

Of course you need a different Loudness setting when you use a totally different Volume setting range. That said Loudness starts to get active at -1 dB if you set the Low Vol Ref to -20 dB. The latter is the point of maximum effect, so in both cases you can set it to work in an identical way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for the explanation, now I understand Low Vol Ref much better.

I suppose in general it is advisable to drive phones / speakers closer to the 0 dBr level, to keep a more fine grained dynamic range? I think I will keep my low-impedance headphones on the IEM output; the super low power seems more suited for them.

11 (edited by ramses 2022-02-04 11:47:01)

You only ever turn up the volume so that your hearing is not damaged by prolonged listening at this volume.
It is completely irrelevant whether you then have to set the controller to -30 or -40.
You don't lose any dynamic which would be really important to you for getting good sound.
With a SNR / dynamic range of ~120dB you would just blow away your hearing anyway if you would listen at volume levels with such a dynamic.

excerpt from https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/laer … m-1.632597

You can hardly hear 0 to 20 dB (A). Forest noise or whispering is about in this range.

20 to 40 dB(A) can already be heard well (alarm clock ticking, computer fans, background noise in the house). Some people are disturbed by this even while they are sleeping.

40 to 60 dB (A) is normal conversation volume, or a quiet radio. Concentration can be disturbed here.

A loud conversation, a typewriter or a passing car can reach 60 to 80 dB (A). Lawnmowers, for example, are in the 80 dB (A) range. Noise at this volume can already lead to long-term health damage.

Scientific studies have shown that with street noise that reaches a sound level of 65 decibels indoors, the risk of cardiovascular disorders is 20 percent higher than with 50 to 55 decibels.

80 to 100 dB (A) are reached by passing trucks, chainsaws or angle grinders. There is already a risk of hearing damage if there is constant noise.

The pain threshold is reached at 110 dB (A). Circular saws and jackhammers are in this area, but also the noise in discotheques or the music from the Walkman.

Jet planes taking off, explosions and some rock concerts reach over 120 dB (A).

Just keep it at a reasonable level, esp if using IEM where everything is so close in front of your ear.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Data wrote:

Thanks MC for the explanation, now I understand Low Vol Ref much better.

I suppose in general it is advisable to drive phones / speakers closer to the 0 dBr level, to keep a more fine grained dynamic range? I think I will keep my low-impedance headphones on the IEM output; the super low power seems more suited for them.

The idea of finer grained dyn. range is just that, an Idea.  Put simply, if you hear no noise when not playng music in your phones, you have all the dynamic range you need at you listening volume. Digital audio is stored quantized, but not when played back. The quantizing causes a noise floor and distortion noise floor. If you don't hear those, there is no problem. The noise and distortion levels in digital are way lower then in typical recordings. We like old analogue because of its high distortion levels, noise and limited frequency range lol. But digital can reproduce this 100%, when recorded. It is only difficult to recreate this distortion and noise and other limits, when those are not in the recording, hence the reputation for digital to be to clinical or harsh.
Cheers
Happy listening!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

13 (edited by Data 2022-02-04 13:22:13)

Thank you both. Another myth busted, I guess :-)

I was just wondering how the Volume function of the ADI-2 DAC works. I assume it affects the still digital signal before it goes into the actual DAC chip; which then results in a higher / lower voltage output of the DAC chip. After that it would go directly and unchanged to the preamps for line / phones / IEM with the set power mode. So I guess with volume set lower we would have a worse signal to noise ratio at the DAC output, right?

14 (edited by ramses 2022-02-04 13:26:18)

Rather unlikely that you have a noise problem. Do you hear any noise ?
SNR is on such low levels nowadays ... Nothing you need to worry about.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No, none at all - no real "problem" there...

Data wrote:

No, none at all - no real "problem" there...

And the manual contains also information about this
See manual of ADI-2 DAC FS - 31.13 Digital Volume Control

17 (edited by vinark 2022-02-04 14:18:43)

I remember that MC explained that analog gain reduction from 0db after the DAC, causes more noise then digital gain reduction before the dac.
People think there is some inherent flaw in digital, but there is a flaw in electrons and photons too (photon noise and electron noise). If someone would never have drawn those stepped waveforms we would not have a problem in our head, cause there never was a stepped waveform at any dac output. The only real problem with digital is you really really need to make sure no audio above nyquist (1/2Fs) both in and out. This has been improved greatly from the beginning of digital and explained the better cd player sound every new generation in the beginning.
Another thing is that some miss the flaws of the old analogue media, like tape wow and flutter (gives some life) Limited bandwidth (less harsh), second order distortion (warmth), Compression due to media, both tape and vinyl (Glue, cohesion). And distortion in general, our ears distort to at high levels, so distortion to our brain means it is nice and loud. LOL. I am speaking about this from the point of creator, not listener. For me it is all about creating the magic.
And as all creaters do (musicians and producers), I use all the mentioned, modulation, compression, distortion, coloured noise sources and eq's in the creative process.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Would be an interesting gimmick to have filters like "vinyl" or "tape" that artificially distort / colour the signal to make it sound more analogue. I once had a Sony CD player that had something of the sort, a DSP that simulated different room settings like church, concert hall or jazz club. Anyway, nothing for digital purists :-)

19 (edited by ramses 2022-02-04 15:04:18)

Data wrote:

Would be an interesting gimmick to have filters like "vinyl" or "tape" that artificially distort / colour the signal to make it sound more analogue. I once had a Sony CD player that had something of the sort, a DSP that simulated different room settings like church, concert hall or jazz club. Anyway, nothing for digital purists :-)

These are quite contradictory requirements. First fighting like a bean counter for every bit of SNR/dynamic at the volume control to then give the sound the neck shot in the grand finale and twist it at will.

On the other hand, if you like to listen with very high dynamics, then at some point the sound doesn't matter because you can't hear anything anymore.

Or do I see this too negatively now? ;-)

Don't take me too serious on that now .. but I couldn't resist ;-)

Data wrote:

Thes things already exist for music production, both tape and vinyl plugins (for example by waves), some audio players can load these plugins like Jriver media centre. Also very good eq's reverbs etc etc. You can do yor own post production if you like. I sometimes do, I liked the BBC live version of Max Richters Sleep, but absolutely not the production/mix which was nothing like how Max creates his atmospheres, so I made a version I liked....

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses wrote:
Data wrote:

These are quite contradictory requirements. First fighting like a bean counter for every bit of SNR/dynamic at the volume control to then give the sound the neck shot in the grand finale and twist it at will.

On the other hand, if you like to listen with very high dynamics, then at some point the sound doesn't matter because you can't hear anything anymore.

Or do I see this too negatively now? ;-)

Don't take me too serious on that now .. but I couldn't resist ;-)

Well, you got me there :-)

Still, I guess the one would be "good" noise and the other "bad" noise, or something like that...

vinark wrote:
Data wrote:

Thes things already exist for music production, both tape and vinyl plugins (for example by waves), some audio players can load these plugins like Jriver media centre. Also very good eq's reverbs etc etc. You can do yor own post production if you like. I sometimes do, I liked the BBC live version of Max Richters Sleep, but absolutely not the production/mix which was nothing like how Max creates his atmospheres, so I made a version I liked....

JRiver can be kinda twitchy with compatibility. I can recommend you to download some kind of tube EQ if U want the warmer and muddier sound of analouge. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of plug-in producers have try- share- and free-ware so you could find one that works and suit you. Room settings from your old surround reciever I could stay clear of though big_smile

About tube EQ´s I had one with a dozen+ knobs. EQ, saturation and whatnot. Aplied thinly it was quite nice. Just cant find it anymore. It was part of som plugin pack I downloaded and I deleted the original. Some of the plugins i tested with JRiver had ALOT of latency. Annoying then you work with very subtle effects so its a thing to look out for.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

More consequent might be to get a tube amplifier and to use the ADI-2 DAC FS as preamp.

Happy_amateur wrote:
vinark wrote:
Data wrote:

JRiver can be kinda twitchy with compatibility. I can recommend you to download some kind of tube EQ if U want the warmer and muddier sound of analouge. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of plug-in producers have try- share- and free-ware so you could find one that works and suit you. Room settings from your old surround reciever I could stay clear of though big_smile

About tube EQ´s I had one with a dozen+ knobs. EQ, saturation and whatnot. Aplied thinly it was quite nice. Just cant find it anymore. It was part of som plugin pack I downloaded and I deleted the original. Some of the plugins i tested with JRiver had ALOT of latency. Annoying then you work with very subtle effects so its a thing to look out for.

I was not asking, neither do I use this, I prefer creating new music above listening. I was just informing the OP that if he wants to he can...
And if you read my posts you will see I don`t prefer analogue at all, it was a nightmare.

Vincent, Amsterdam

ramses wrote:

More consequent might be to get a tube amplifier and to use the ADI-2 DAC FS as preamp.

That would be more consequent, but with a bunch of good plugins you could be tuberolling without the hassle of it. Would you exchange your Accuphase for a rack of overdeveloped lightbulbs Ramses big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

26 (edited by Data 2022-02-04 16:21:05)

ramses wrote:

Yes, but isn't one the great things about digital audio that we can keep our hardware as linear / neutral as possible, and then add, but also take away colouring as we like? This of course includes the ADI-2 DAC with its options of EQ, loudness, crossfeed etc. In a way, things like virtual tube amps are similar in that they tweak the sound to our personal preferences, but we can always switch it off if we don't like it anymore.

Data wrote:
ramses wrote:

Yes, but isn't one the great things about digital audio that we can keep our hardware as linear / neutral as possible, and then add, but also take away colouring as we like? This of course includes the ADI-2 DAC with its options of EQ, loudness, crossfeed etc. In a way, things like virtual tube amps are similar in that they tweak the sound to our personal preferences, but we can always switch it off if we don't like it anymore.

My point exactly smile

Happy_amateur wrote:

Would you exchange your Accuphase for a rack of overdeveloped lightbulbs Ramses big_smile

If it sounds good why not. But would have concerns about spare parts and my wife would ask who cleans the amp then.

ramses wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Would you exchange your Accuphase for a rack of overdeveloped lightbulbs Ramses big_smile

If it sounds good why not. But would have concerns about spare parts and my wife would ask who cleans the amp then.

Spare parts is major concern. Had two rca ecc83 nos tubes laying here. Got some 40 euros each. Its not getting cheaper.

You Guys don't know REAL fun! smile

A rack of 6FL6 Pentodes freaking out, melting Anode caps, etc was a thrill without equal!   

No need to worry about cleaning.  The Fire Department will do that for you. big_smile

Memories!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

An average German acid trip. Im glad im from cold headed Scandinavia big_smile

32 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-05 07:08:17)

It can be a hard decision for antique things, old but lovely, could be not reliable as newer technology .... I have a LAMY 450 multicolor ballpoint pen CP1, more than 30 years, a small plastic part of the push button broken ....  repair or give up? need to send back to Germany, but the cost could be high .... the pen with me is more than 30 years, long enough that I forgot the year I bought it .... hm ...

33 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-22 11:17:40)

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Thanx, I have the “Pro” only, so I edited my posting accordingly.

I am not 100% correct or precise enough, headphone output cannot set auto ref to on is IEM, not Phones ... I am sorry for that mistake.