Topic: M-1610 Pro MADI Mode

I understand from reading another thread as to why the M-1610 doesn't clock automatically.

But, it would be great if the M-1610 Pro could operate in MADI mode only, to follow the clock/settings of the UFX+.

I think it's on the roadmap for future development  - I hope it happens soon.

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Re: M-1610 Pro MADI Mode

Maybe solved here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 69#p184169

Looks like MADI clocking was a bit faulty in M-1610 Pro firmware 2.2.0.

Ulrich wrote:

Maybe solved here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 69#p184169

Looks like MADI clocking was a bit faulty in M-1610 Pro firmware 2.2.0.

Hey Ulrich,

Yes, thanks for the feedback in the other thread.

What I'd like is for the M-1610 Pro to switch automatically to whatever sample rate I'm working at. I often have to switch back and forth between sample rates in a tracking project, a mix project or a mastering project.

I understand that for AVB this wasn't implemented. So, it would be a fantastic if RME could give us a dedicated MADI mode for guys like me in studio. I'll probably get another M-1610 in the future and will spend quite a bit of time setting sample rates. Certainly, for the foreseeable future I won't be using AVB.

It's also really easy to make a mistake when you're under pressure.. smile

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Hi Robin,

if Word Clock or MADI is selected as clock source, the device already follows the sampling rate.

However, as you've already mentioned, this doesn't play well together with networked audio, this is why the user gets a warning (red blinking light and so on).

So you don't really need to switch the sampling rate for a functional setup, but you'd have to ignore the warnings.
We are aware that this is not ideal, and we are already discussing alternatives. Implementing a "MADI mode" has more caveats than it seems at first glance, but it's on the list.

Marc S wrote:

Hi Robin,

if Word Clock or MADI is selected as clock source, the device already follows the sampling rate.

However, as you've already mentioned, this doesn't play well together with networked audio, this is why the user gets a warning (red blinking light and so on).

So you don't really need to switch the sampling rate for a functional setup, but you'd have to ignore the warnings.
We are aware that this is not ideal, and we are already discussing alternatives. Implementing a "MADI mode" has more caveats than it seems at first glance, but it's on the list.

Hey Marc, thank you for the information!

And yes, it must be a headache implementing the MADI mode! It's good to know that it's the roadmap. Thank you! smile

Marc S wrote:

Hi Robin,

Hi Marc,
I just tried to test what you are suggesting.

First, my MADI master clock (here: Octamic XTC) is set to 96K, MADI optical duplex connected, M1610 says:

Clock:
Master
MADI optical
Current
MADI 96

Now Octamic set to 88K2, M1610 says:

Clock:
Master
MADI optical
96  (!?!That's confusing!)
Current
MADI 88.2

...and red ring blinking, red clock tab, red MADI optical symbol on the right side (the latter is especially confusing, because MADI optical is actually in sync!).
The Octamic input is not complaining, so it's true that the M1610 is following.

However making the M1610 following from 96K to 48K via MADI optical does not work, 48K is not recognized (M1610 keeps showing "Current 96K").
Similar problem with making the M1610 following from 96K to 44K1 (M1610 shows "Current 88.2")
As far as I can see in these situations the only solution is to 1) switch M1610 to internal clock, 2) change internal clock properly, then 3) switch back to MADI optical clock - right? That's pretty much knob turning and pressing action. Imagine having to do this for CD mastering, switching back and forth from 96K to 44K1 frequently - not funny...

I'm sure you will have some good ideas how to improve the situation.
Maybe it's an option to have a Non-AVB-mode?

Best, Ulrich