Topic: Cheaper ways to increase the number of I/O for Fireface UFX+?

I have Fireface UFX+, and I want to increase the number of analog inputs by eight, and analog output by eight. 

I've read some postings here that ADI-8 DS Mk III is the best solution. My budget could be set high so getting ADI-8 DS MkIII is within my scope but I want to explore the cheaper options first.

Can I just buy a used unit of RME / Hanmmerfall dsp multiface (which I could get for around USD 300), and connect it to my UFX+? If so, how do I connect them? And what would be the disadvantage of connecting such Hanmmerfall dsp multiface when you compare with the scenario of connecting UFX+ with ADI-8 DS MKIII?

Your input would be much appreciated!

2 (edited by vinark 2022-02-24 11:20:36)

Re: Cheaper ways to increase the number of I/O for Fireface UFX+?

The multiface needs a computer to work and thus a HDSP pci or pcie card. It does not work standalone. 300 for a multiface without the card is very expensive, I have seen multifaces without the cards for way less. Since there are no new PCI or PCIe cards available it is not a very good investment. 100 euro for a multiface plus card would be a good buy, but you do need to have the right slot free in your computer. Most second hand MF have PCI cards and recent computers mostly not. So be aware.
But any brand adat converter will work. From cheap behringer ADA8200 to presonus, focusrite etc. Also all ADI-8 versions are great. I have an ADI-8AE working great daily.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Re: Cheaper ways to increase the number of I/O for Fireface UFX+?

vinark, thank you so much for your thorough & profound answer. I fully understood how the multiface functions, how it could put to work, and corresponding costs & disadvantages.  Given your great advice, I'll budget for ADI-8AE!

Thank you again! smile