Topic: Pairing ADI-2 FS to a Fireface 802...no audio to ADI-2 FS phones jack

I'm using a Fireface 802 as my main unit (master) paired with an Audient ASP800 for an additional 8 inputs via ADAT 1. I am also incorporating the ADI-2 FS via ADAT 2 to output my nearfield monitors and for a 3rd headphone output, which is not working, thus my inquiry here.

I have sent the item in for service at Synthax, but it came back as having no issues. Great to know, but it's not operating as expected. I'm sure it's operator error on my end, but I've no idea where to go at this point.

The ADI-2 FS is outputting audio perfectly to my nearfield monitors, just not to the headphone jack...albeit, if it's turned up all the way, you can hear a faint hint of audio.

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Re: Pairing ADI-2 FS to a Fireface 802...no audio to ADI-2 FS phones jack

Which ADI-2 do you have?
• ADI-2 FS (no LCD display)
• ADI-2 DAC FS
• ADI-2 Pro FS

• ADI-2 FS (no LCD display)

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-20 19:55:04)

Headphones- and TRS / XLR-Line-Outputs carry the same signal.
The volume control is the only way to disable headphones output.

Scratching my head.

My only idea is, you feed a mono signal and the headphones’ cable’s ground connection is broken or not making contact, happens quite often with adapters e.g.
This would result in what you describe.

Did you try another pair of headphones+different cable?

5 (edited by koontz70 2022-02-10 15:24:49)

Yes, I’ve tried 3 different sets and they all get the same results: work on both of the Fireface 802’s jacks….but not on the ADI-2 FS.

I’m at 48,000kHz. Headphone jacks 9/10 & 11/12 both work a treat. RME task bar indicator says that both my ASP800 & ADI-2 FS are locked at their respective inputs. Wondering if my ADI-2 FS front panel settings are correct?

Clock is set to generic/sync (top right)
Dig In: OPT
Dig Out: ADAT
Level: +4 dBu

TotalMix has my main outs set to ADAT 9/10.
Phones 1: 9/10
Phones 2: 11/12

Is there a Phones 3 setting I should be attempting?

6 (edited by vinark 2022-02-10 16:06:52)

If there is audio from the xlr's of the ADI, there should at the same time be audio at the phones out. No way to address them separately as on the ADI pro. There is only one DAC in the ADI-2FS

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I think maybe I need to try pushing-in/pulling-out (and in general: “finagling” my headphone cable’s jack end to see if perhaps I’m in or out too far within the headphone jack channel. Maybe one or more component of the TRS plug is not making enough (or any) contact along that jack channel?

Again, there’s very faint signal when volume knob is at maximum…so I remain perplexed…especially since the ‘master’ Fireface 802’s 2 headphone jacks work brilliantly.

After further experiments with the cable end and jack in/out movement and pressure, I’m resigned to the idea that I will likely not be able to get the headphone jack to work on this unit. Wondering if there’s any settings within the RME taskbar that might be preventing the HP jack from getting signal?

Not if the XLR outputs work.

IMHO you should send the unit in again. The phones output seems to be faulty.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is it necessary to have TotalMix’s main out volume at unity (0) to facilitate signal between being sent into the ADI-2 FS’s headphones jack?

That is what I am experiencing. Assuredly, I must have my nearfield monitors turned off when doing this or I’d blow the house awake. Alas, this does allow me to hear some signal in the phones, but won’t allow me to simultaneously use my monitors.

Hoping this might ring a bell in what, if anything I might have configured incorrectly?

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-23 23:44:02)

koontz70 wrote:

Is it necessary to have TotalMix’s main out volume at unity (0) to facilitate signal between being sent into the ADI-2 FS’s headphones jack?

That is what I am experiencing. Assuredly, I must have my nearfield monitors turned off when doing this or I’d blow the house awake. Alas, this does allow me to hear some signal in the phones, but won’t allow me to simultaneously use my monitors.

Hoping this might ring a bell in what, if anything I might have configured incorrectly?

Ring, ring, ...
• Can you send a full scale signal, without any attenuation in the signal path?
• Which headphones do you use?
• Which monitors?

Maybe it’s just a huge difference in sensitivity, could be addressed with external passive attenuators on the monitors.

koontz70, I'm the one that was checking these units when you sent them back. There is no hardware issue. You do need to send full scale digital (or close to it) to the unit.

The Phones and Main Out volume controls are not designed to work the way you are expecting. You would need an independent volume control for each output. With this design, you can control Phones level only, or Phones + Main, with the knob.

So in this case, switch off (or disconnect) the monitors, send full scale to the ADI-2 FS and use the knob to control Phones volume.

You can add a passive attenuator or similar to the Main Outputs connected to the speakers for an independent level control - and let the ADI-2 FS knob control only Phones.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, Jeff! I guess that then solves the mystery for me, but not really the workflow issue that remains.

Cheers,

Mike

The ADI-2 Pro model (current version is ADI-2 Pro FSR BE) does work the way you want. This unit has a stereo DAC for Phones and another stereo DAC for Main out. Volume levels are controlled independently for each output.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.