Topic: Adi2Pro and Cranborne 500R8

Recently I want to add some 500 series in my studio and found this launch box& Interface Cranborne 500R8/500ADAT.

I already got an adi2pro and loved it's performance since I bought it, usually I just record stereo so it's fine but now the analog channel limitation became an issue for me.

I was considering 500ADAT but seems adi2pro only got 2 ADAT channels, but this 500 ADAT can send 8 channels separately, which will be very convenient when mixing.

So, my question is:

1 Should I buy another RME interface that has enough channels, and buy a 500ADAT, or I can buy a 500R8(the USB interface version of this launch box)and still use adi2pro as ADDA?

2 If I want to use ADI2Pro as ADDA without Totalmix(only using 500R8 as the USB interface and Clockmaster, but all signal processing are still using ADI2PRO), can it be done by using SPDIF or any other digital channels?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-20 16:14:49)

Re: Adi2Pro and Cranborne 500R8

RME Digiface USB could serve as your central I/O interface.

With 4 + 4 ADAT / SPDIF optical IN/Out connections it offers enough connectivity for your purpose at a reasonable price.

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_digiface-usb.html

Available for 320 € here:

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/RME … L0QAvD_BwE

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/External/Digiface-USB.png

3 (edited by jaychoupp 2022-02-26 21:06:38)

Cool!So the plan is Digiface as Interface and Adi2Pro as ADDA for recording and monitoring!

Perfect!thanks a lot!

I still got one question though:I don't get a “FS” version Adi2Pro,and seems the digiface don't have a “FS” version,but I have to transfer digital data between those 2 devices right?

So, should I update my Adi2Pro to the “FS” version?

And seems digiface dont have a BNC to connect external clock, so if I buy an external clock can I use it as the master clock to send signal to both Adi2Pro and Digiface?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-26 22:14:02)

jaychoupp wrote:

... the plan is Digiface as Interface and Adi2Pro as ADDA for recording and monitoring!

... I don't get a “FS” version Adi2Pro,and seems the digiface don't have a “FS” version,but I have to transfer digital data between those 2 devices right?

And seems digiface dont have a BNC to connect external clock, so if I buy an external clock can I use it as the master clock to send signal to both Adi2Pro and Digiface?

Don‘t care about FS, the difference is of no practical relevance.
All ADI-2 versions have “Steadyclock”, just lately even improved by firmware update.

For the same reason you shouldn’t use an separate clock device, you gain nothing and lose a lot of convenience (and some money).

Use Digiface USB’s clock, set through the driver.

This way your system automatically follows sample rate changes when switching projects or playing different files, this is very important to avoid recording or playing with the wrong sample rate.

Sidenote:
Specialized separate clock devices are a pain in the ass in practical studio use.
You don’t want to baby you clock configuration all the time instead of making music!

Additionally, if run with 1:1 realtime BNC clock (instead of high speed clock) they can easily worsen clock precision by their own cable transfer jitter.
Fortunately RME’s SteadyClock filters out this garbage, but other converters might not have this ability.

KaiS wrote:
jaychoupp wrote:

... the plan is Digiface as Interface and Adi2Pro as ADDA for recording and monitoring!

... I don't get a “FS” version Adi2Pro,and seems the digiface don't have a “FS” version,but I have to transfer digital data between those 2 devices right?

Don‘t care about FS, the difference is of no practical relevance.
All ADI-2 versions have “Steadyclock”, just lately even improved by firmware update.

For the same reason you shouldn’t use an separate clock device, you gain nothing and lose a lot of convenience (and some money).

Use Digiface USB’s clock, set through the driver.

This way your system automatically follows sample rate changes when switching projects or playing different files, this is very important to avoid recording or playing with the wrong sample rate.

Sidenote:
Specialized separate clock devices are a pain in the ass in practical studio use.
You don’t want to baby you clock configuration all the time instead of making music!

Additionally, if run with 1:1 realtime BNC clock (instead of high speed clock) they can easily worsen clock precision by their own cable transfer jitter.
Fortunately RME’s SteadyClock filters out this garbage, but other converters might not have this ability.

So, Digiface it is! More money saved!
Thanks a lot!