Topic: New member RME adi-2 dac fs vs Streamers

Hello forum members, I am a new member from Holland, what a very nice forum is this with a lot of useful and interesting info.

In the meantime I have already read quite a bit here, many new terms and insights that I am not familiar with, but that makes it all the more interesting!
Recently bought a new amplifier a Rega Elex R. The search for a dac was the next step... I have listened to a few dac's but difficult to hear the differences as the listening conditions are different every time, different day, different hifi shop etc

I would never buy a dac blind but after reading and seeing many positive reviews decided to purchase the RME adi-2 dac fs. The first thing that strikes me is that some music just doesn't sound nice and other music sounds very good, big differences!

My current setup:
google chromecast
RME adi-2 dac fs
Rega Elex R
Monitor audio silver s5

Sometimes I am super happy with the sound and sometimes less, especially rock sounds less. I am very curious where I can make improvements, but the biggest one is probably replacing my 20 year old speakers..
I play the RME dac with loudnes on, Auto Reference Level on, and I adjust the volume knobs depending on how the music sounds.

Currently I am streaming with tidal and qobuz via the google chromecast "puk" optical out to optical in on the RME which indicates 24bit when connecting the chromecast.
What kind of streamers do you use? And is there a clear difference with other (more expensive) streamers? I am curious about your experience.

Art

2 (edited by terrys999 2022-01-20 22:59:46)

Re: New member RME adi-2 dac fs vs Streamers

MY SETUP.
rme adi 2 dac fs
cxn v1
mdac plus
cxa 80
pi 4 8g

ok now a streamer,  i use pi 4 mostly  its cheap and works ,  if i know what i know now i wouldnt have wasted cash on cxn.

i use volumio premium on pi 4   it connects directly with qobuz and tidal  or you can use spotify.
then usb out to adi.
works perfectly cheap too. volumio premium £5 a month.
you dont need fancy streamers

Hi

I use JRiver on a computer (win7). The streamer deos not play a role as far as you have no dropouts.

I guess you just hear the qualitiy of the sources. Qobuz is in general rather good, Tidal is doubtful (MQA lowers quality).

Peter

The RME D/A conversion delivers true sound of the source, if the source is no good, the result will be as it is .... not every recording in the market is good/perfect, some are lousy.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

5 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-21 23:33:31)

terrys999 wrote:

MY SETUP.
rme adi 2 dac fs
cxn v1
mdac plus
cxa 80
pi 4 8g

ok now a streamer,  i use pi 4 mostly  its cheap and works ,  if i know what i know now i wouldnt have wasted cash on cxn.

i use volumio premium on pi 4   it connects directly with qobuz and tidal  or you can use spotify.
then usb out to adi.

Aye!  +1

@Artt - Another Shameless Plug for the Raspberry Pi-4B.    The Pi isn't "Cheap", (in a negative sense) but rather it is extraordinarily Cost Effective, and with appropriate Player Software represents an excellent means to enjoy all of your Music.  Local Files, Paid Music Services, Internet Radio, etc.  Interfaces perfectly with the RME!

*Pi's HDMI connectivity allows you to attach an accessory Display (or your TV) to make a MOCKERY of other high-dollar devices, and their Tiny displays that can't be seen 1m away...

*Bit Perfect at all Sample Rates/Bit Depths according to the RME Bit Test Utility.  This affects your Audio Quality, and we've seen Expensive, Boutique Streaming Devices here that cannot PASS bit test, while Pi does it easily.

As an old "Squeezebox" fan, the Raspberry Pi offered me a renewed degree of Future Resistance, Excellent performance, and Clutter-Free operation in my rather traditional HiFi set up.  (The PC/Server is "somewhere else" and not in my view, BUT!  Easily controlled via a very convenient Smartphone App)

If you hadn't already guessed.. I'm really happy with it   wink

*Pi offers a LOT, at a remarkably affordable price.

Stream On! 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

terrys999 wrote:

MY SETUP.
rme adi 2 dac fs
cxn v1
mdac plus
cxa 80
pi 4 8g

then usb out to adi.

Volumio has been updated in december '21 with interesting possibilities but what is holding me back is again monthly costs, approx €6.49 per month... But that's why volumio is not my first choice for now.
If it is the case that volumio is the golden mean in quality-cost ratio, I'll definitely come back to it, but it's not that far yet, first some things to find out.

pschelbert wrote:

Hi

I use JRiver on a computer (win7). The streamer deos not play a role as far as you have no dropouts.

I guess you just hear the qualitiy of the sources. Qobuz is in general rather good, Tidal is doubtful (MQA lowers quality).

Peter

At the moment I also lean towards Qobuz for that reason and because Tidal/apple combination keeps reconnecting the app after a search, very annoying.

Johannes AU wrote:

The RME D/A conversion delivers true sound of the source, if the source is no good, the result will be as it is .... not every recording in the market is good/perfect, some are lousy.

Yes it will be something like that, doesn't always make it easy in music choices

Drop Outs haven't been an issue for me...even when my Teenager is ravaging my network with his "needs"  wink

On streaming services:   I enjoyed Tidal, and many of it's predecessors, but have moved to Qobuz, simply because I think it's better, and is actually a few dollars LESS each month.   It travels quite well internationally too, and I need that as my work does not let me stay home always. 

Livin' the Dream Friends!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:
terrys999 wrote:

MY SETUP.
rme adi 2 dac fs
cxn v1
mdac plus
cxa 80
pi 4 8g

then usb out to adi.

Aye!  +1

@Artt - Another Shameless Plug for the Raspberry Pi-4B.    The Pi isn't "Cheap", (in a negative sense) but rather it is extraordinarily Cost Effective, and with appropriate Player Software represents an excellent means to enjoy all of your Music.  Local Files, Paid Music Services, Internet Radio, etc.  Interfaces perfectly with the RME!

*Pi's HDMI connectivity allows you to attach an accessory Display (or your TV) to make a MOCKERY of other high-dollar devices, and their Tiny displays that can't be seen 1m away...

*Bit Perfect at all Sample Rates/Bit Depths according to the RME Bit Test Utility.  This affects your Audio Quality, and we've seen Expensive, Boutique Streaming Devices here that cannot PASS bit test, while Pi does it easily.

As an old "Squeezebox" fan, the Raspberry Pi offered me a renewed degree of Future Resistance, Excellent performance, and Clutter-Free operation in my rather traditional HiFi set up.  (The PC/Server is "somewhere else" and not in my view, BUT!  Easily controlled via a very convenient Smartphone App)

If you hadn't already guessed.. I'm really happy with it   wink

*Pi offers a LOT, at a remarkably affordable price.

Stream On! 

Curt

Pi is certainly very interesting in several ways but not something I have experience with so still some homework for me to do, but that's a good thing.
It is also important to me to have simple access to the entire system because of family members who need easy access, sort of a one-button system/display.
It's nice to build the internet connection from scratch, maybe cable instead of wifi and a coaxial instead of optical from the "streamer" to the dac.
It is also interesting to find out the small differences and hear for myself whether there is a difference with my own set up in my own living room.
It doesn't have to be super perfect for me as long as it is nicely balanced, also in terms of costs..

11 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-22 03:21:43)

Artt wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Yes it will be something like that, doesn't always make it easy in music choices

There's a lot of Audiophile Disappointments in the Rock Catalog to be certain.  There ARE however, some really "Organic" recordings that are somewhat convincing!!  You'll have to seek them out by simply listening.  "Heart:  Dreamboat Annie" has been an audiophile favorite for decades.

*The Intro to Great White's 80s hit "Rock Me" had an almost "eerie" presence that would surely attract an audiophile Ear...

https://youtu.be/3oe-aPYsJA4

There are also records that THRIVE on Power Chords with the Distortion set to +11.   That was intended!   Let them be!  Five Finger
Punch anyone?  smile

https://youtu.be/uL0UPsMb3yU

You just have to listen, and sometimes merely enjoy being transported back to an earlier time in life!  Records can do that! smile

Suddenly?  I find myself re-living my Teen years with "The Cars" on Qobuz.    I've had the records forever, but I'm really enjoying the Rhino Re-Masters that I think truly bring out the 1970s Studio Work at "Synchro Sound" (Boston) to it's intended, fullest advantage. 

They Sound Great!

Curt

**Oh!!! Late Edit: Artt!**

How much experience do you think I, or Terry had with regards to the Pi?   I'll be very forthright, and say I had NONE.  I just simply followed the easy instructions, and over a few cups of Coffee, I had a wonderful new device!   

You CAN do it!

Curt962 wrote:
Artt wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

There's a lot of Audiophile Disappointments in the Rock Catalog to be certain.  There ARE however, some really "Organic" recordings that are somewhat convincing!!  You'll have to seek them out by simply listening.  "Heart:  Dreamboat Annie" has been an audiophile favorite for decades.

*The Intro to Great White's 80s hit "Rock Me" had an almost "eerie" presence that would surely attract an audiophile Ear...

There are also records that THRIVE on Power Chords with the Distortion set to +11.   That was intended!   Let them be!  Five Finger
Punch anyone?  smile

You just have to listen, and sometimes merely enjoy being transported back to an earlier time in life!  Records can do that! smile

Suddenly?  I find myself re-living my Teen years with "The Cars" on Qobuz.    I've had the records forever, but I'm really enjoying the Rhino Re-Masters that I think truly bring out the 1970s Studio Work at "Synchro Sound" (Boston) to it's intended, fullest advantage. 

They Sound Great!

Curt

How much experience do you think I, or Terry had with regards to the Pi?   I'll be very forthright, and say I had NONE.  I just simply followed the easy instructions, and over a few cups of Coffee, I had a wonderful new device!   

You CAN do it!

Hello Curt, Mr Pi tongue

At our age, I remember Rock Me by ABBA too ....

By the way, about Pi, it doesn't work with Apple Music, right?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Artt

As others have said 
Pi passes all bit tests from pi, 

The only music services on volumio are
Spotify.
Qobuz
Tidal

It also supports Roon.

You don’t need premium volumio account for Spotify,   But for Roon , tidal, Qobuz it’s £6... amonth month,
It marries perfectly with adi 2 dac fs.

I control the pi with my iPad. I open volumio select which service  ie Qobuz Ect....   select which dac.

The above music services have a direct stream with volumio once you upgrade to volumio premium.
All very easy  and sounds bloody fantastic with adi 2 dac fs. All bit test Pass.

Iam about to buy yet another Adi 2 dac fs  for my bedroom,
Ahhhhh iam obsessed with adi 2.......
Marvellous..

Hello
my config:
streamer: Linn Akurate DS
digital coax cable: Canare
dac preamp: RME ADI 2 DAC FS
-----Cables modulation: Vovox Sonorus XLR
        Amplifier: McIntosh C300
-----Cables modulation: Viablue
        Subwoofer JMLAB SW38 38cm
best results obtained after testing on the RME
Automatic level control: OFF
Selected level +1db (due to my XLR link which adds 6db)
which corresponds to a volume of my amp between 50% and 65%, i.e. -30db to - db on the RME
Listening
rock: Queen 24 bits, TOMMY from the Who 24 bits, Dire Straite 16 bits, Tina Turner "the best" 24 bits
Jazz: Diana Krall 24 bits, Paolo Fresu" Melo" 16 bits, and more
all these music come out very well

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

LINN AKURATE DS, LINN UNIDISC SC,AMPLIS MCINTOSH C300 et MC7106 + RME

15 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-22 15:30:11)

Johannes AU wrote:
Curt962 wrote:
Artt wrote:

Punch anyone?  smile

They Sound Great!

Curt

You CAN do it!

Hello Curt, Mr Pi tongue

At our age, I remember Rock Me by ABBA too ....

By the way, about Pi, it doesn't work with Apple Music, right?

Jo,

Pi supports any Codec (AAC/ALAC, etc) that your Player Software supports, so I see no problem.   

Who knew?  A tiny SBC that was intended for educational purposes has now been adapted for more applications than we could have ever imagined!   Schools, Industry, etc, and now providing Deep-Sea internet access to those who need such.   Audio applications don't challenge Pi in the least.  So Cool!

My Developer Son couldn't be satisfied with mere Audio, so his Pi controls his Christmas Light Display!
https://youtu.be/WmSAa5Lv7H0

Note the LED Tree performing backing vocals.  Try THAT with an "Audiophile" Streamer... smile

Just a little Fatherly Pride involved here.. wink

Here come the pictures...

https://i.ibb.co/48VGFKh/20210425-111540.jpg

No Microscopic "Streamer Displays" in my house!  wink

All delivered to the Pi via the Magic of Wireless.  Clutter Free!

Aluminum heatsink accessory case:  $15.

*The Flirc heatsink case is the textbook definition of precise fit!   Truly amazing!

https://i.ibb.co/xqSzfJV/20201216-144111.jpg

*Hand Sold Seperately

Artt.. The Pi is an Easy Sell to your Wife, as it is SO Compact (easily smuggled in your Shirt Pocket), and inexpensive enough to be written off as a small math error in your checkbook.   Yes!   I really like Pi, and my RME agrees!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:
Artt wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Punch anyone?  smile

They Sound Great!

Curt

You CAN do it!

thank you very much for the music tips, it is appreciated, sounds very good indeed, that gives hope!

ok, after some research I ended up with a streamer for my RME adi-2 dac.
It has become the Primare prisma NP5 mII. A simple streamer that does not stand out and does its job. Roon works well, but can only get the most out of the streamer with Roon 192khz 24bit.
Without Roon 96khz 24bit.
For now only Roon tested, later maybe a subscription.
But...... in sound compared to my google chromecast not extremely big! That surprised me quite a bit! Probably my speakers are the limiting factor now, Monitor audio silver S5 now 20 years old.

18 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-27 11:57:54)

Hi Artt!

Super for your new device!   

While you're setting up, allow me to encourage you to download the RME BIT-TEST .WAV files, and run the Bit Test Utility.    It only takes a moment, and will test your Digital Data Path end to end to ensure that there are NO data alterations occuring.  Oh!  It happens, and most commonly in player software settings is where we routinely see things go astray. 

See Pg.67 of your User Manual for complete details, and a link to download the .WAV files.

Have Fun!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Artt!

Super for your new device!   

While you're setting up, allow me to encourage you to download the RME BIT-TEST .WAV files, and run the Bit Test Utility.    It only takes a moment, and will test your Digital Data Path end to end to ensure that there are NO data alterations occuring.  Oh!  It happens, and most commonly in player software settings is where we routinely see things go astray. 

See Pg.67 of your User Manual for complete details, and a link to download the .WAV files.

Have Fun!

Curt

Interesting, will look into it.
Is it supposed to work like this?
Mac air - usb cable to REM and then play the files? The manual tells you how it works, but not how to connect it exactly.

20 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-28 23:03:27)

Artt,

No special connections required.  Simply download the RME Bit Test .WAV files, and tuck those in a folder within your Music Library.

Then it's an easy matter to Stream the files to your Primare which is already connected to the RME.   This is how I've always done it, and it's effortless! 

This method of test looks at everything in your Digital Data Path, and thus is quite thorough. Would it not be pointless to check only "part" of the digital signal path?   I know the RME will Pass.  It's all the other elements in the Data Chain that can arouse suspicion.  In the end, so long as the RME displays the White "Bit Test xxxBit Pass" message you're good! 

Curt

*Note:   You must ensure that your Player Sftwr Vol. is set to 100%, and any EQ, or other signal processing within the Player Sftwr, or your Primare's Device Controls are deactivated in order for a successful test.

**Last Note:  Only RME offers this unique utility that allows us Validate/Verify our Data Path to ENSURE that there are NO data corruptions, or manipulations taking place.

Let the users of other devices guess at it.   We have a Tool to Test it!

***Just for fun, while sitting here, I just streamed the 192/32 bit test.   The White Screen appears!  I never left my Chair.   I like this!

Curt962 wrote:

Artt,

No special connections required.  Simply download the RME Bit Test .WAV files, and tuck those in a folder within your Music Library.

Then it's an easy matter to Stream the files to your Primare which is already connected to the RME.   This is how I've always done it, and it's effortless! 

This method of test looks at everything in your Digital Data Path, and thus is quite thorough. Would it not be pointless to check only "part" of the digital signal path?   I know the RME will Pass.  It's all the other elements in the Data Chain that can arouse suspicion.  In the end, so long as the RME displays the White "Bit Test xxxBit Pass" message you're good! 

Curt

*Note:   You must ensure that your Player Sftwr Vol. is set to 100%, and any EQ, or other signal processing within the Player Sftwr, or your Primare's Device Controls are deactivated in order for a successful test.

**Last Note:  Only RME offers this unique utility that allows us Validate/Verify our Data Path to ENSURE that there are NO data corruptions, or manipulations taking place.

Let the users of other devices guess at it.   We have a Tool to Test it!

***Just for fun, while sitting here, I just streamed the 192/32 bit test.   The White Screen appears!  I never left my Chair.   I like this!

ok, it went like this,
download the RME Bit Test .WAV files and store them in Roon's library.
Then the Bit test played via the Primare streamer. All passed! just not 32 bit. but that's not a problem :-)
I am an absolute beginner in audio and learning everything about the RME adi-2 dac is not easy but thanks to this forum and support I keep getting one step further! Very very interesting! Thanks.

Hi Artt,

Fantastic!   Good Work!

Curt

ps: the files were played via coax cable and then replaced with an optical cable, same result, everything succeeded
(except the 32bit) does this mean that there is no difference in sound in this case between a coax or optical cable?

Artt wrote:

...does this mean that there is no difference in sound in this case between a coax or optical cable?

Yes Artt, this is EXACTLY what it means.   The Digital Data does not care how it is delivered to the DAC, so long as the Data arrives intact.   

Your 32bit test not passing is likely a function of SPDIF only supporting 24bit, and not indicative of any problem in your set up, so Go with it!

Enjoy!

Curt