1 (edited by bsfreq 2022-03-03 13:49:36)

Topic: Babyface Pro freezes after flash update

Hi,

My Babyface Pro (bought in 2016) has been working beautifully until I just ran a firmware update. On my current use case I just had a problem with loud clikcs / pops coming from my monitors when babyface regained clock sync from my airport express spdif optical out (airport temporarily shuts off the optical out when it receives no input signal)

I remember reading on these forums that this clock regain popping issue on monitors might have been fixed on some firmware along the years, so I went ahead and updated Babyface Pro firmware from 127 to 199.

Now the Babyface works only for a little while and then freezes. All the leds freeze at their current position, all the buttons become unresponsive and sound mutes alltogether.

I tried flashing the unit again but the same thing happens after only a couple of minutes and I have to reboot the unit. Is there a way to revert to older firmware, or is there something wrong with my Babyface? 

Thanks for help

EDIT: Is there perhaps something in the new firmware that makes the Babyface Pro draw a mA or two more power than the older firmwares?  I'm currently running the Babyface most of the time standalone, powered via a USB hub, that only gives out a limited amout of power (don't remember how much exactly, but it's only been able to power the Babyface + other self powered devices, though it has done so without any problems this far. It's just super convenient with the Babyface as it has independent power switches on each port.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Re: Babyface Pro freezes after flash update

bsfreq wrote:

Is there perhaps something in the new firmware that makes the Babyface Pro draw a mA or two more power than the older firmwares?

I assume this indeed is the case here. Perhaps someone from RME can confirm?
However, I connected my Babyface directly and it's been running smoothly again.
I guess what I'll try next is to power the usb HUB with a higher amp ac adapter as soon as I find one.

Not aware of such a difference...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just an update.. Everything has been working after I connected my USB-hub directly to another power source (1A) , instead of powering it with a USB-power cord from a USB-port of another powered HUB. (I used the hub for power only, the data USB of the HUB was never even connected)  I had done so for years for convenience, as I had an extra hub with a 2.1 amp power adapter. The powering HUB is a 4-port USB2.0 hub, so I guess there is only about 500mA delivered from each port even when no other devices are connected.
This was never a problem before, and my Babyface Pro only started misbehaving after the firmware upgrade.

My USB2.0 hub and its power adapter still work perfectly with other devices and nothing else besides the BF firmware has changed in my setup. And again, after plugging my USB3 hub (with the power switches on each port) directly to a USB power adapter, my Babyface now runs smoothly again.  I went back and forth with the power sources and was able to freeze the BF each time when using the USB2-hub for power. Interestingly the Babyface ran a couple of times for about an hour before freezing, so I'm glad I spotted this problem at home.

I still bet there's something in the new firmware that takes just a little bit more power than before, as nothing else really explains this and would be too much of a coincidence. I really don't mind this at all. I just wanted to know what's causing this. And mostly I'm just happy that my Babyface Pro is not broken.