1 (edited by ejder 2022-03-07 03:57:48)

Topic: Digital PC interface for 3+ XLR mics?

I'm trying to find the best solution for my recording goals.  I'm an experienced amateur musician with piano/guitar/etc. experience, and I want to begin seriously exploring quality audio interfaces for PC connection and recording.

I'd like to start with 3 microphones, two for instrument and one for vocal.  I was considering the RME Babyface pro fs, but it seems to only have 2 preamps/xlr inputs, vs. the 3 I need at minimum.

I'm also planning to livestream.

After some reading, I'm considering adding a Behringer ADA8200 (or other device) to the situation, but would I be able to keep high quality, low noise preamp via this (and how would it connect)?  One of the main reasons I'm considering the babyface is the reported preamp quality.

I'm very inexperienced with audio and am looking for suggestions.

Thank you,
Joey

Re: Digital PC interface for 3+ XLR mics?

I have a Babyface Pro FS and a Behringer ADA8200 connected to ADAT to record drums.
I don't feel that the ADA8200 preamps are particularly inferior to the RME ones.
You can see the video comparing by searching YouTube for RME Octamic Behringer ADA8200.

You can’t keep what you call the low noise preamp as the Behringer has its own. I use a ada8200 but mainly for the extra outputs. To use both inputs and outputs you need two optical cables to go between the bf and 8200. Bf has to be set to adat and leave as internal for sync. Other options are to use an external mic preamp and plug it into one of the line inputs as the bfp fs has two of these.

The simplest method might be to get the ucxII which has 4 mic inputs. It may save you money in the long run. You need to weigh up the cost of getting a bfp fs and the extras you need to what you already get with quality mic inputs on the ucxII

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

If you want you can also connect a (dual) mic preamp to inputs 3 (and 4).  You can get very cheap mic preamps from maybe 50$ or really expensive.
https://www.bax-shop.nl/studiomicrofoon … duct_price
You can of course also use it together with adat later on and have 12  mic inputs

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632