Topic: FX not sending to DAW

I recently purchased a Fireface UCX II. When activating reverb on my mic and then recording into Ableton, the recording is raw audio without the FX. I can clearly hear the reverb working live through my monitor headphones. The FX send is turned up on the mic.

This seems like it should be self explanatory, but I cannot figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Re: FX not sending to DAW

It doesn’t by default. Most people want it this way so that effects can be added and changed afterwards. If you record with effects then you are stuck with them.

I’m not able to look at TotalMix at the moment but I think there is a switch for this. Also take a look at the manual as I’m sure it is explained.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-03-09 16:11:24)

There is a checkbox in Totalmix that allows you to record the EQ and Dynamics for each channel into your DAW. It's in the manual, pg. 18 of mine. The box is called "EQ+D for Record". The box will be in your Fireface settings (the little yellow and orange flame icon down in your tray).

But if you want to record the Reverb/Echo, why not try using the Loopback feature? This way you can record the dry tracks AND the tracks with reverb that you hear during tracking. Just select an unused ADAT output channel (say ADAT 1/2 in this example) click on it and adjust levels and your sends/returns and click on the Loopback button at the bottom. You won't see any levels on ADAT 1/2 input but the signal WILL be there. Just open your DAW software and enable REC and you'll see levels.

Doing it this way is nice because you can still go back and adjust different reverb amounts on the dry signal or, if you happen to nail the reverb amount on the first recording, you'll have your track already with effects.

Good luck and enjoy your UCXII smile

-Steve

sbcrikey wrote:

There is a checkbox in Totalmix that allows you to record the EQ and Dynamics for each channel into your DAW. It's in the manual, pg. 18 of mine. The box is called "EQ+D for Record". The box will be in your Fireface settings (the little yellow and orange flame icon down in your tray).

But if you want to record the Reverb/Echo, why not try using the Loopback feature? This way you can record the dry tracks AND the tracks with reverb that you hear during tracking. Just select an unused ADAT output channel (say ADAT 1/2 in this example) click on it and adjust levels and your sends/returns and click on the Loopback button at the bottom. You won't see any levels on ADAT 1/2 input but the signal WILL be there. Just open your DAW software and enable REC and you'll see levels.

Doing it this way is nice because you can still go back and adjust different reverb amounts on the dry signal or, if you happen to nail the reverb amount on the first recording, you'll have your track already with effects.

Good luck and enjoy your UCXII smile

-Steve

This is precisely what I do and I love it. I've actually been so impressed with the Totalmix reverb.. I feel like it's instantly getting me much better sounds than I can readily get with any of my reverb plugins, and then having that pre-recorded track is a nice limitation that can also save on processing.

ryrydonegan wrote:

This is precisely what I do and I love it. I've actually been so impressed with the Totalmix reverb.. I feel like it's instantly getting me much better sounds than I can readily get with any of my reverb plugins, and then having that pre-recorded track is a nice limitation that can also save on processing.

I feel the same way! The reverb is SO easy to get a realistic sound. Sometimes I just play with the sends and duck the signal levels to make it sound like the music is coming from another room down the hall. Very realistic effect. I feel the same about the EQ and dynamics. Just did an acoustic guitar with vocals and used Dynamics on the vocal track, recorded the processed track directly and it was perfect. Just had to mix final levels. It saved me so much post processing time! I also love the visuals of the compressor. Very easy to set compression.

-Steve