Topic: How to remove "Fireface USB Settings" & "TotalMix FX" from dock?

Hello. I have a slight annoyance.. I am very much a minimalist and like to eliminate anything/everything that I don't use from cluttering up my workflow..

In this case, it's the "Fireface USB Settings" and "TotalMix FX" icons that appear in the dock when I connect my RME BabyFace.. I know that these 2 applications are required for the BabyFace to function, but I feel like it is completely unnecessary to have these 2 applications as being "required" on the dock when they're open.. I would like for them to run in the background like the rest of my applications are capable of, and just pull up either application on my own if the need ever arises that I actually need to do something in either of them..

"TotalMix FX" could go either way, as this is definitely something more frequently accessed and can have it's value by being in the dock, but even then.. I still do most of my adjustments via the volume/gain wheel on the BabyFace, so even the option in having a *MENU BAR* icon instead of a big dock icon would be preferable..

So pretty much, these applications that open up don't really have any use to me, (I'm sure they're useful, I just RARELY ever use them directly.. I just need them running).. and are more just annoyances that are cluttering up my dock.. I was wondering if it is possible to somehow override in OSX so that they will still open and close as they normally would whenever I connect/disconnect them from USB, I just don't want them appearing in the Dock.. And they also don't have any information in the "Preferences" tab for either application that would allow me to remove them from opening in the dock..

Please help!  How to remove "Fireface USB Settings" & "TotalMix FX" from dock?

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
RME BabyFace (Blue) .. fully updated with both downloads from your website

Thank you!!

Re: How to remove "Fireface USB Settings" & "TotalMix FX" from dock?

I second that!
Hide both applications and add a menu bar short cut!
Please......

simonyeah wrote:

I second that!
Please......

I have found a solution!

http://www.cnet.com/news/prevent-an-app … g-in-os-x/

just tried it, it works! big_smile

This is a daily annoyance for me.

Opening these apps in the dock at login is totally unconventional/unidiomatic for the MacOS user experience. Put them in the menu bar with every other background app. Actually, most of the apps for which I have menu bar icons gave me a preference to put the icon there. For the people who want the app opened in the dock when the app is started, give them an option in the app preferences. Hell, enable it by default if you must; as long as I can disable it.

I wish RME would prioritize the MacOS user experience; RME software feels like an alien living in my computer. Like those crappy Java apps that aren't even natively developed. Everytime I go to the dock or use CMD-Tab to switch between apps I'm reminded of how RME clearly doesn't understand or prioritize MacOS UX idioms.

I totally second that!

Both, Total Mix and Settings should be on the menu bar. It's a pain to switch between apps with command + tab with two extra apps always opened.

lip5016 wrote:
simonyeah wrote:

I second that!
Please......

I have found a solution!

Yes, it works!!

That is a solution for sure. It's like having them in the menu bar, but instead of opening them from the menu bar you do it from the dock.

Nge wrote:
lip5016 wrote:
simonyeah wrote:

I second that!
Please......

I have found a solution!

Yes, it works!!

That is a solution for sure. It's like having them in the menu bar, but instead of opening them from the menu bar you do it from the dock.

Ok, it worked until I restart. After that, both apps won't load. Replaced them, not working. Reinstall RME driver and apps, not working. Had to manually uninstall everything, boot on recovery mode, fix the drive and reinstall again.