Topic: Babyface Pro FS + MODX, NO Sound

Hi,
I'm on windows 10, latest driver of Babyface Pro FS running fine.
I can't get no sound when I use the MODX in Cubase Pro.
I use the Babyface pro FS as external audio interface.
When I launch a VST as new instrument track I hear everything fine.

The Modx midi tracks show me midi signal on every channel. But no audio ...

I wrote a detailed post on the Steinberg forum here to complete the description of what's going on :
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-sig … e/774252/5

some help would be great.

Re: Babyface Pro FS + MODX, NO Sound

Hello!

In order to get sound from your MODX and from your Kronos, you need to connect them to the BF Pro 's Inputs, physically!
I read over at your Steinberg forum's thread that you have a Mac background.

Things do not work the same in Windows! In windows you can, only, have one ASIO driver, i.e: one audio interface to handle your I/O.
The MODX and the Kronos do support Usb Audio, but this makes them separate audio interfaces! Add the BF Pro and you have three!
But you can use only one!

In Mac, I guess, you could have used aggregate devices and you wouldn't have any problem. probably!

So, you should connect your keyboards to the BF Pro 's Line Inputs and use the RME ASIO Driver in Cubase!
You can keep your MODX and your Kronos connected via Usb and use their USB MIDI functionality!

I suggest that you connect the Kronos to Line In 1 and 2(the Kronos' Outputs are Balanced)
and your MODX to Line In 3 and 4.

PS: If you are working on 48KHz and don't have to change Sample Rates, you can connect the Kronos via Optical SPDIF, instead!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thanks man you are the best.

On Mac thank God for Inter Device Audio+Midi support  (IDAM) I can just set a huge aggregate device  (MODX+Kronos+Babyface Pro FS) and just usb cables and ride into the sunset.

I'm still figuring it out on windows  but, like you said, I'll be forced to pull out audio cables....

You 're welcome!! smile

It would have been great to have aggregate devices on Windows, too!! Maybe, on Windows 21..!  smile smile

Windows is a pain, especially  for audio drivers.
On Mac it. just. works...

Any tips on how to extend the i/o capability  of the babyface? It's pretty limited in that department...

Any RME gear that would complement the babyface?

You could connect any 8channel/preamp AD/DA converter, via ADAT I/O !

From RME  there are a few:
- OctaMic II (8channel AD converter)  https://www.rme-audio.de/octamic-ii.html
- OctaMic XTC( 8channel AD and format converter)  https://www.rme-audio.de/octamic-xtc.html
- Micstasy  https://www.rme-audio.de/micstasy.html

The cheapest non-RME is the Behringer ADA8200 (8channel AD and DA)
Myself, I have a Presonus DigiMax FS (8channel AD and DA), but I don't know if you can find it new, because it's discontinued.

Thanks, and I guess I'll see them all in Totalmix for easier mixing and rerouting, correct?

8 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2022-03-16 07:07:34)

You 're welcome!

Yes, you 'll have everything in TotalMix!
For the XTC and the Micstasy, you can, even, have direct control for Gain, +48V etc, from TotalMix ! Save configurations etc!

If you do need to go cheap the Behringer ADA8200 is a great device and would suite what you are doing. I have one and main,y use it for extra headphone outputs but I’ve also used it for external synths and guitar processing.

I must admit I didn’t understand what you were saying on the Cubase forum but now I get it. I think the mention of Mac and asio4all confused me. I know you can use asio4all to aggregate interfaces but I haven’t read of anyone doing it successfully yet. The Mac can do it but it still causes problems and increases latency so still not a good way to work.

By the way as well as the ada8200 I did also have a focusrite octo pre. After comparing them I sold the focusrite on. I’d bought it for only £60 uk. And sold it for £120 so not bad.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

If you do need to go cheap the Behringer ADA8200 is a great device and would suite what you are doing. I have one and main,y use it for extra headphone outputs but I’ve also used it for external synths and guitar processing.

I must admit I didn’t understand what you were saying on the Cubase forum but now I get it. I think the mention of Mac and asio4all confused me. I know you can use asio4all to aggregate interfaces but I haven’t read of anyone doing it successfully yet. The Mac can do it but it still causes problems and increases latency so still not a good way to work.

By the way as well as the ada8200 I did also have a Focusrite octo pre. After comparing them I sold the focusrite on. I’d bought it for only £60 uk. And sold it for £120 so not bad.

I'm very interested, how do you set up the ADA8200 with external synths? I know you connect the ADAT cable to the Babyface but how do you manage the INS and OUTS on the ADA8200 side? (what kind of cables) The ADA8200 channels are always mono. If I want stereo, I use two channels (2 line ins on the front) so that would allow me to add 4 extra synths or groove box.

Just a question, are the Octamic II and XTC / Micstasy lines ins are stereo?

I don’t know about the Octamic. I would have to look at the spec and pictures which you can do easily enough.

The ADA8200 connects via adat optical. You would require two optical cables for in and out between the bfp and 8200. The 8200 has XLR and jack inputs. Outputs are XLR only. Yes you use two for stereo as in most other interfaces of this type.

Once connected the gain is controlled with the knobs on the 8200 as is phantom  power if required (not required for line level instruments like synths) . The monitor level is controlled in TotalMix and you can route the channels from the 8200 just the same as you can the channels on the bfp.

All this information is in the specs of the equipment and usually the advertisement. It may be an idea to get conversant with the technologies as you are relying heavily on others. It’s better to do a bit of reading and try and understand yourself as well.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

I don’t know about the Octamic. I would have to look at the spec and pictures which you can do easily enough.

The ADA8200 connects via adat optical. You would require two optical cables for in and out between the bfp and 8200. The 8200 has XLR and jack inputs. Outputs are XLR only. Yes you use two for stereo as in most other interfaces of this type.

Once connected the gain is controlled with the knobs on the 8200 as is phantom  power if required (not required for line level instruments like synths) . The monitor level is controlled in TotalMix and you can route the channels from the 8200 just the same as you can the channels on the bfp.

All this information is in the specs of the equipment and usually the advertisement. It may be an idea to get conversant with the technologies as you are relying heavily on others. It’s better to do a bit of reading and try and understand yourself as well.

Thanks, I have read thoroughly this information before writing you so I did my homework, and nothing wrong with relying heavily on others, especially on a forum that is basically made for that. (Help)

layone22 wrote:
mkok wrote:

Thanks, I have read thoroughly this information before writing you so I did my homework, and nothing wrong with relying heavily on others, especially on a forum that is basically made for that. (Help)

Yes sorry. I didn’t mean it to sound that way.

mkok wrote:
layone22 wrote:
mkok wrote:

Yes sorry. I didn’t mean it to sound that way.

Oh it's cool no worries