1 (edited by joemusician 2022-03-20 22:53:17)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS: is zero audio latency / high MIDI latency common?

I'm happy to report zero latency recording audio, down to the sample. I did three things in Logic Pro to achieve this: (1) disabled software monitoring, (2) set I/O buffers to 1024, and (3) set process range to Large. Going XLR out to XLR in on the BabyFace, I recorded one audio track onto another, and found zero latency (as in 0 samples) (!) Seems too good to be true, but perhaps this is a common experience.

When I recorded external MIDI-triggered audio, however, the audio gets laid down about 15ms earlier than the MIDI notes in order to line up properly with the project tempo grid. I know there's a MIDI output delay slider to compensate, but this only delays or advances the signal being sent. It does not line up the actual MIDI notes.

I'm curious if anyone else is getting similar results (zero latency with audio, and high latency with external MIDI recordings).

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s

2 (edited by mkok 2022-03-19 23:09:45)

Re: Babyface Pro FS: is zero audio latency / high MIDI latency common?

Audio should be zero latency recorded. So should midi. I use Cubase and you can set an offset for midi if it’s early. Where latency really counts is playing software instruments. I play drums so trigger SD3 drum sampler from my Roland td30 ekit. I have  buffers set to 64 samples to get about 2ms latency. Below 10ms is the aim.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by joemusician 2022-03-26 04:56:30)

Re: Babyface Pro FS: is zero audio latency / high MIDI latency common?

Sounds good. I knew the BF's latency was low, but not that low (ie zero!) cool The MIDI latency, on the other hand, while low at 32 I/O buffers in Low Latency mode, is still not zero, so I just nudge the MIDI recording back to line up with the parallel audio (since the audio has zero latency), do my editing and quantizing, and then nudge it back to where it was for re-recording the external midi gear and it lines up perfectly. It’s a bit more involved but results in zero latency for both audio and midi. Happy camper!

Babyface Pro FS / MacBook M1 Pro / Logic Pro X / Focal EVO 50’s