1 (edited by xls215 2022-03-19 21:22:34)

Topic: Rme adi-2 pro questions

Hi rme experts. I am considering to obtain the pro fs r black version.

I have some questions before. I have read that both the dac fs and the pro fs versions can work as a preamplifier.

Q1.i noticed only The manual of the pro version makes special reference to preamp mode. Does it have something extra than the adi-2 dac fs as preamplifier apart from extra dbu at xlr?
I cant understand the automatic changes of the modes... is there any case suddenly the volume to go at the max level while being connected to a ppwer amplifier?

Q2. Does the pro work as a preamplifier with every input it has? Example Coax for cd, tv in optical , pc at usb ?

Q3. Everywhere says that the pro has analog inputs if you want to digitize your vinyls. Maybe a stupid question, but example a turntable connected to a riaa phono preamp and connected to the pro. In this scenario, is the pro able to act again as a preamplifier and listen the vinyls also?

Thanks

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-19 21:46:01)

Re: Rme adi-2 pro questions

xls215 wrote:

Q1.i noticed only The manual of the pro version makes special reference to preamp mode. Does it have something extra than the adi-2 dac fs as preamplifier apart from extra dbu at xlr?

• Analog stereo input with DSP functions (parametric EQ etc.)
• Two fully independent stereo outputs (1/2 and 3/4) with their own DSP functions.
• Separate High Power headphones outs for both, 1/2 and 3/4, outputs.
• Digital outputs.
• SRC (Sample Rate Converter) at the digital inputs for asynchronous connection, i.e. a TV running at 48 kHz Sample Rate, while ADI-2 runs at a higher Sample Rate.
• Very comprehensive selection of internal configurations called ‘Modes”, to make it fit for the task.

xls215 wrote:

I cant understand the automatic changes of the modes... is there any case suddenly the volume to go at the max level while being connected to a ppwer amplifier?

The default Automatic “Mode” will do most configurations based on the input signal, for giving a very good start.
Of course it will not surprise you with some disastrous things like you mentioned.

xls215 wrote:

Q2. Does the pro work as a preamplifier with every input it has? Example Coax for cd, tv in optical , pc at usb ?

Simply, yes!

xls215 wrote:

Q3. Everywhere says that the pro has analog inputs if you want to digitize your vinyls. Maybe a stupid question, but example a turntable connected to a riaa phono preamp and connected to the pro. In this scenario, is the pro sbke to act again as a preamplifier and listen the vinyls also?

Yes, of course.

Thanks for the replies .

In the cc mode , i understood from the manual that it reads fro ipad til 768KHZ. Can this happen from android? If yes what kind of wire is neeeded? A type c to usb b?

In other words can i have my android cell-phone connected via usb as a source and Rme act as a dac and an preamplifier connected to my power amp?

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-20 08:47:07)

xls215 wrote:

In the cc mode , i understood from the manual that it reads fro ipad til 768KHZ. Can this happen from android? If yes what kind of wire is neeeded? A type c to usb b?

I have no idea what a Sample Rate of 768 kHz should be good for.

96 kHz already exceeds what a human being can hear by a factor of 2.
And no studio microphone picks up anything beyond that covered range.

I can confirm 96 kHz works with iPad Pro and all iPhones I have.
Never used anything higher.

The difference between 44.1 and 96 kHz already is hard distinguish, in reality, away from the internet mumbo-jumbo.

Cable? One that fits smile
USB C to USB B usually, nothing special.

xls215 wrote:

In other words can i have my android cell-phone connected via usb as a source and Rme act as a dac and an preamplifier connected to my power amp?

Yes, that’s how I use it here and that’s what CC Mode is about.

I just said the 768 because it is written in the manual only for ipad. If it works with android no problem.

Thanks again

6 (edited by xls215 2022-03-20 18:17:50)

generally as a preamplifier does it really miss something as a feature to connect to active or mostly a power amplifier in my case;

is it as good enough as a preamp as much as dac; dont see may reviews as a preamp, but mostly as dac and secondly as a headphone amplifier(i dont care about headphones).

for someone who wants it mostly as a preamp for tv(optical), computer audio via usb is it ok? do you think it will be better an extra preamplifier? i would prefer to save boxes and keep it simple as much as possible. dont care about bluetooth or mqa. i use jriver, audirvana mostly. thanks

xls215 wrote:

generally as a preamplifier does it really miss something as a feature to connect to active or mostly a power amplifier in my case;

is it as good enough as a preamp as much as dac; dont see may reviews as a preamp, but mostly as dac and secondly as a headphone amplifier(i dont care about headphones).

for someone who wants it mostly as a preamp for tv(optical), computer audio via usb is it ok? do you think it will be better an extra preamplifier? i would prefer to save boxes and keep it simple as much as possible. dont care about bluetooth or mqa. i use jriver, audirvana mostly. thanks

The ADI-2 pro could be the best preamp you ever had IMHO. I have had ADI-2 DAC and UCXII doing preamp service here. They far outshine the integrated amps own DAC and volume controll. Now the ADI-2 pro has another Ace, its analog inputs. at least it solves one prob if you have a record player. So if youre doing everything from PC you are right there you should be

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_