1 (edited by Thisiscobras 2022-04-02 20:22:52)

Topic: [Solved] Fireface 800 Analog 2 Rear Input Low

Not sure if rear analog input 1 is high or rear analog input 2 is low but by ear and in Totalmix they are uneven. All other inputs when paired are pretty even as is software playback. I even opened it up. Though I didn't scope I found no bulging caps or anything leaking from the jacks as I'd even read on a few accounts. Cord swaps and all basic troubleshooting yields same results. I'm hoping I'm missing something in Totalmix. I did notice when exercising the trs plug into analog 2 rear that there was a point about half way in that it seemed to read equal values for the 1/2 pair. Could that mean that jack is just failing? Any help would really be appreciated.

Re: [Solved] Fireface 800 Analog 2 Rear Input Low

Caps can be defective even when not showing any sign (bulging). Bring that unit to a competent technician, he will be able to check and repair that even without schematics.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Caps can be defective even when not showing any sign (bulging). Bring that unit to a competent technician, he will be able to check and repair that even without schematics.

That was my original thinking, that those taller caps in front of the rear inputs (1 per input) may just need to be replaced. Does that sound about right to you as opposed to anything on the power board throwing weird voltage out that would throw off 1 input?

[Solution] That was it. I popped 2 new aluminum caps in and it's good as new. The 2 directly behind the affected input jack itself. Looks like they may have leaked a little bit underneath. I couldn't see it until I got the old caps out. I chose to twist the old ones out. Just go slow and apply downward pressure and they come right off leaving the pads in perfect shape. Grab the old legs off the pads and you're good to go. Thankfully I didn't even have to get that board out of the unit. For replacements, I went with these. Hope this helps somebody some day.

https://www.digikey.com/short/vd85d4cn