Topic: [Solved] How to get stereo USB output from digital AES Input ADI-2 Pro

Dear Experts,

I'm working on a (supposedly) simple use case where I feed my ADI-2 Pro FS with digital AES/EBU stereo music signal (PCM), which I want to be routed (preferably) unchanged to the USB port output of the ADI-2 Pro.

In essence I just want to use the ADI-2 Pro as a format converter between AES/EBU (input) and USB(Output).

ADI-2 Pro FS is connected via USB to a Windows 11 PC with the audio software HQPlayer on it. The source is a Trinnov Amethyst feeding the ADI-2 Pro via AES/EBU.

Ive installed the ASIO drivers for the ADI-2 Pro correctly on the Windows machine and can use the ASIO control panel that comes with the driver installation.

My question is how do I have to configure the ADI-2 Pro so that it supports the above use case? Which mode is the correct one? USB Mode or Digital Through Mode?, I'm also struggling whether it needs to be CC Stereo or Multichannel (I'm only using Stereo signals but the manual says that CC Stereo only support analog input?).

I can see the incoming music signal in the ADI-2 Pro but I can't make it showing up in the USB connected Windows PC.

May I kindly ask for some expert advice from people who have mastered a similar use case ?

Thanks so much for your kind assistance here :-)

Best
Christian

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-22 11:14:41)

Re: [Solved] How to get stereo USB output from digital AES Input ADI-2 Pro

If HQPlayer doesn‘t support ASIO (I have not found that info) you can‘t access USB Record channel 3/4 (the AES).

In this case try Loopback, see manual page 41.
Loopback routes what you hear without processing (= Loopback pre FX to 1/2), to a selectable USB Record output channel, 1/2 in your case.

3 (edited by cmoerler 2022-03-22 11:57:03)

Dear KaiS,

thanks a lot for responding.

HQPlayer supports ASIO and in its seetings I can see that HQPlayer has accepted the ASIO driver of the ADI-2 Pro as input.

I will try the suggested loopback solution this evening (I'm in office at the moment) but with the above information that HQPlayer supports ASIO, would you prefer a different solution, like USB mode or Digital Through mode?

Thanks and cheers
Christian

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-22 13:12:50)

cmoerler wrote:

HQPlayer supports ASIO and in its seetings I can see that HQPlayer has accepted the ASIO driver of the ADI-2 Pro as input.

I will try the suggested loopback solution ...HQPlayer supports ASIO, would you prefer a different solution, like USB mode or Digital Through mode

If HQ-player lets you select ASIO channel 3/4, several Modes would do the job.
Look at the block diagrams of the Modes, manual page 36 ff, you can see which ones route the AES to USB record 3/4.

Else Loopback to 1/2 would do the job.

Once you found something working, save it as Setup for later reference.

Personally I’m usually running ADI-2 Pro in DAC-Mode, it’s the least complex
for my simple usecase.
Loopback sends my EQs back to the connected iDevice for measurement then, without Loopback I get the measurement mic from the analog input.

Dear KaiS,

I've tried both multichannel AES input via ASIO Channel 3/4 and loopback. Both work but I now go ASIO channel.

You've helped me a lot ! Big thanks for this support !

Case closed...

Best +
Christian

Great, you can put a “solved” into the thread title.
Helps other to find this solution.

Best
Kai